X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blacksmithing!!!

Wow this is a great guide thanks.
    What are the benefits of becoming a crafter though if you lose so much money on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwall
      Wow this is a great guide thanks.
      What are the benefits of becoming a crafter though if you lose so much money on it?
      This is becoming my new motto, I've said it so much lately to LS members and friends. So I will give it what it derserves and put it in bold lol:

You have to spend gil, to make gil.

basically what I mean by this is, before you can start gaining great ammounts of gil from a craft, you have to put alot of gil into it first. I've seen people say how worthless crafts are because they cost too much to level. Well just ask anyone 60+ in any craft and they will tell you a different story. I'm currently Woodworking 59 (didn't push to 60 because the arrows I make capped at 59 lol) and as much as I moan about economy and sometimes the Scorpion Arrows I make take more than a day to sell because of underpricers. I really do make good money compared to what I used to.

The benefits of becoming a crafter in my opinion, is becoming a crafter abover level 60 lol.. stick at it guys and you will soon see the benefits.

-----------

and to return to the reason i came to this post, even thought the guide (0-55) was written about 2 and a half years ago, I'd like to thank the writer I am soon to start Smithing and this is by far the best one I have seen and I will definately be using it
      Crank dat Soulja boy..

Comment

Are there any alternatives to darksteel picks at 67 now? It may have been profitable at the time of this guide but now it is waaaay expensive....
        Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
        Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
        Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
        Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
        Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

please teach me how to play n how to start this game

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
            Are there any alternatives to darksteel picks at 67 now? It may have been profitable at the time of this guide but now it is waaaay expensive....
            Maybe if you can cut the lumber and mine the ore you might get a little profet. I'm no where near that lv yet so I really don;t know.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Oh, In the first post you said you had a report of bronze scales getting someone to skill 10? I did it as well. It was a little slow for 9-10 but 7 and 8 went by fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DM337 View Post
                I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Tin Ingots can be made as early as Lv. 6. (with advanced image support, had a good number of failures at Lv. 6, but still some skill ups) I haven't gotten much farther than that, as I've only been making ingots out of the tin I personally mine up, but its taken me up to Lv. 7, and I'm not breaking the synth as much as I used to.
                Lv 6???

Cool.

If thats the case. I can stop makeing Bronze In gots sooner and use the Copper ore for Copper Ingots.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Hi there
                  I read this thread and found it very useful, but when I tried to put it into practise things just really didn't happen
                  I'm just starting out, my smithing level is a whopping 0 and my character's level has just reached a benchmark lvl 10 lol
                  Basically I had signet cast on me and went grinding for crystals, after a couple of hours I had a stack of fire, water and earth crystals. The water and earth went on the AH no problem and I made a bit of money, then went trundling off the the Bastok smith guild to buy my ingredients. After synthesising 12 bronze ingots and using all my fire crystals in the process my smithing level had gone up 0.1 in total.
                  Am I doing something wrong, or is this really how long it's going to take? Not sure it's worth it, might as well sell my crystals on the AH and make a nice profit.
                  Any (further) advice would be very appreciated
                  Gotta go, a Quadav is poking me with a sword :/

Comment

Originally posted by Talisman View Post
                    I'm just starting out, my smithing level is a whopping 0.... After synthesising 12 bronze ingots and using all my fire crystals in the process my smithing level had gone up 0.1 in total.
                    Am I doing something wrong, or is this really how long it's going to take?
                    You were just unlucky. From level 0 to 50, you will average around 0.6~0.8 skill ups per dozen attempts. If you want to push for higher skill up rates, try to do your skill up sessions during...

1. New Moon
                    2. A day of the week where your crystal is week to the element of the day
                    3. or Darksday

On a rare occasion, I've gotten as much as 1.3 skill levels on a dozen attempts. But those get balanced by the bad runs, like the one you had.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I just hit lvl7 doing bronze scales, so it is possible. I will reply again when I cap on Scales.

Comment

hey, ummm I LOVE THIS GUIDE! a couple of things...

level 13 smithing, already making profit w/ scale mail, here on fenrir mats are about 2k per synth and sell in san d'Oria for 5k ^^

tin ingots are used for ALCHEMY, heres a link to a detailed page on them:
                        Tin Ingot - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

and lastly, would u plz edit this so all of ur stuff for synths and lvl ranges is in first post? i dont want to sift throo entire thread to find it.
                        SHOW TEH PIMPEST PC ON EARTH!!!

Comment

Wow. This thread is still here, and someone was using it as recently as 2008. The Internet never forgets.

I'm glad this helped a bunch of people, though the world has obviously moved on to other things. FFXIV, for example. And all the economic data I posted in '03 and '04 was obviously dated by the time this thread finally went quiet.

I will say this: my secret to profiting off of blacksmithing was something I never 100% shared outside the crafting LS (TheCraft) I was in.

The trick was to run a circuit in the upper Bastok mines with all the Quadav. I did it as a 37 BLM with a 15 THF subjob. I used Thundaga and Blizzaga to wipe out every quadav on the upper level. I just made a huge train over and over again and mass-AEd them to death. This would yield some backplates. I would take as many lightning crystals as I could to synth in the field. Technically, desynth moghancement would have been better, but even with the limited field ration of crystals, I still valued the backplates more, so I used lightning instead. It was not hard for me to Warp back to San D'Oria or walk to Bastok to get a refill and then get back to the mines. I had the airship unlocked thanks to help from a guy I knew from another LS/beta (really from Ultima Online beta, hah), so transportation was not a problem. Anyway, I'd stockpile darksteel for crafting projects, or just sell it for cash. I made a big profit off those darksteel picks because I "mined" my components from Quadavs.

I used a lot of that money to get Leather, Cloth, Wood, and Gold all up to 60, which was interesting to say the least (never got around to Bone or Alchemy). That experience broke my crafting spirit. The money I used to start crafting came from buying exclusive spells (the ones you could only buy from the "winning" faction) and selling them in the "losing" cities with mules in the early days of the North American release of the game. I made hundreds of thousands of gil doing that, and even financed a very successful WHM also (the same guy who helped me get the airship).

Was it worth it to leave FFXI? Ultimately, yes, though sometimes, I wish I could go back. Maybe I'll take up FFXIV someday, but that day is not today.

Comment

Working...
                          X