Just a thought on current fishing system VS other crafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought on current fishing system VS other crafts

I think we all have an idea how this (not so) new fishing system works.
    The stamina, the rod movements and everything.
    At first glance 2years ago? I thought that the new system would cut down botters a lot.
    But in fact, it is much much easier to bot now.

I've been having these idea along with a few fisher friends for a long long time.

= The good =
    - Fishing now is more involved. Fish bites a lot more often.
    Fighting fish down is fun. It can get repetitive, but I like fighting down fish with current system a lot.

= The bad =
    - Bots are better than human at fighting fish down. Easy fish such as carps won't matter much.
    But going after Ryugu Titan, bots are almost guaranteed to pull them up with 0 effort.
    We the players are even the one that will run out of stamina IRL which bots do not.

= The stupid =
    - Unlike every other crafting skill, any skill of fishing can hook any fish at any cap....
    I think this is the most rediculous thing SE gave to fishing.
    Level 0 fisherman can hook cap 90+ fish. And their bot will fight it down just fine.
    This alone, makes banning fish botters almost meaningless.
    RMT has tons of accounts. Whenever their bot got banned, they make instant new army of level 1,
    run to Jeuno, /anon and bam the *high level* fish market gets flooded again instantly.

So, no, you don't need any "skill up path" like other crafts.
    You can, for the rest of your fishing carrier, start from 0 with blacksole and get your skill to 96 with just 1 fish.
    Remember the good old days where you need to travel to so many different places to skill up your fishing step by step?
    I think that makes a lot more sense.

- The lack of skill. Sometimes you'll lose your fish "due to lack of skill."
    Altho the messege makes it feel like it's your fishing skill that matters, it is NOT.
    It is your rod. Yes, it is your rod that determines this.
    If you use Lu Shang for example, you'll always pull up Black Sole if you're able to fight it down even at skill 0.
    I tried Halcyon at skill 100, I got the "lack of skill."

= What needs to be changed =
    Fishing should be made a lot more in line with other craft skills. That is,

Other crafts
    1) you can not even attemp to synthesize
    if your skill is more than 15 below the cap of the item.

2) Between 15-6 skill below the cap, you have high chance of failing.
    And only gain skill when you successfully synthesize the item.

3) Less than 5 skill gap, you can gain skill from failed synthesize.

Fishing should follow this same pattern....
    1) Make players unable to even hook fish, if the fish caps more than 15 skill above their cap.
    Other crafts aren't even allowed to attemp, why should fishing?

2) Between 15-6 skill below the cap, this is where the "You lost your catch due to lack of skill" should be appearing.
    It should be determined by your skill, not the rod, seriously.
    Makes players lost a lot of fish here, just like other crafts.
    Being able to fight down the stamina shouldn't even matter
    if your character's skill isn't enough.

3) With in 5 level range from fish's cap, that's where you'll start to pull the fish up
    a lot more frequently and will gain skill when you lost your catch.

That should totally prevent the low skill fishers from instantly gaining access to the high level market. Many fishers have spent their time to get their skill up just to catch the same fish level 0 fishers can also catch. That's just not right.

Just my 2c
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Re: Just a thought on current fishing system VS other crafts

I agree entirely.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

This would be great, that no skill limit is just wrong.

I guess they wanted to give players a shot at the big fish if they had good reflexes but it only made bots more effective. >.<

PS > And I think skill should be added to HELM activities too (the higher the skill the better the items you can get and acordantly less low lvl items) that would make it harder for RMT to get back into action right after getting banned.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I agree that fishing could use some adjustments.

When the new rods came out, I quickly observed how the fishing rod mattered more than my skill. I lost Moat Carps with a Mithran Rod and my fishing skill was 50+ at the time! I tried out a Hume Rod and caught them easily. In fact, my skill 0 mules caught Gold Carp! wtf?

I admit, I benefit right now from being able to catch Black Sole and Gigant Squid at skill 63 w/ Lu Shang fairly easily (as long as I pay attention to the rod I catch 99% of the bites). I'd be willing to trade that for a chance to get Ryugu. As it is, there's no way my reflexes can keep up with him. I've tried. As much as I would like to earn an Ebisu rod, I know I don't have the energy to do so.

Knowing SE, if fishing were "adjusted" more, I'd just end up without my chance for fishing for skill-ups in safe areas and still not able to get any of the really impressive fish.

One thing, though, is bite-rate gets better with skill. No matter which rod you use.
        They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Jei's 100% right. I've all but retired from fishing specifically because my 96 levels of skill mean a whole lot of nothing when I'm trying to catch anything except legendary fish (and even there, fishing rod and items like penguin ring are much more potent than skill level).

I won't even go into how pointless things like fishing armor, waders, and the lolFishingHoleMap are. In fact, the only guild point items worth getting from fishing are Serpent Rumors and Mooching, and even then those are only worthwhile if you want the Ebisu.

Icemage

Comment

*cough* I threw away my fishing hole map *cough*

I think apron is the only real useful item to get if you still fish a lot. Ebisu is just a luxury. I''m proud I have it, but it doesn't help me all that much.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Oh, yes, the Apron. Sort of useful... sort of. Frankly, the items in most places that you might want to fish at are actually pretty decent, so reducing their chance of appearance is more of a trade-off than a benefit.

In fact, the only fishing zone I can think of offhand where zapping items is a good idea is Port Jeuno, and I think that zone gets abused way too much as it is.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                Oh, yes, the Apron. Sort of useful... sort of. Frankly, the items in most places that you might want to fish at are actually pretty decent, so reducing their chance of appearance is more of a trade-off than a benefit.

In fact, the only fishing zone I can think of offhand where zapping items is a good idea is Port Jeuno, and I think that zone gets abused way too much as it is.
                Even in Port Jeuno I don't get many item "bites" so I guess the Apron wouldn't help me much either. -_-

oh, well, I'm signed in with the Clothcraft guild so I can eventually get that Tapestry...
                They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X