This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Dice Rolling works

note: FFXIOnline forums still break code tag. See allakhazam or KI for the pretty version of this thread.

I've seen a lot of bits and pieces on dice rolling, and I figured that (after some testing of my own) I'd provide a (edit: no longer short) guide on the mechanics of rolling dice.

As I've stated before, here are the different rolls, their level, and effect:

[code]Roll Name Effect LV Lucky# Unlucky#
    Corsair's Roll +EXP 5 5 9
    Ninja Roll +Evasion 8 4 8
    Hunter's Roll +ACC/RACC 11 4 8
    Chaos Roll +ATK/RATK 14 4 8
    Magus's Roll +Magic DEF 17 2 6
    Healer's Roll +hMP 20 3 7
    Puppet Roll +pet ACC 23 4 8
    Choral Roll -spell interruption 26 2 6
    Monk's Roll +Subtle Blow 31 3 7
    Beast Roll +pet ATK 34 4 8
    Samurai Roll +Store TP 37 2 6
    Evoker's Roll Refresh 40 5 9
    Rogue's Roll +critical hit rate 43 5 9
    Warlock's Roll +Magic Accuracy 46 4 8
    Fighter's Roll +Double Attack 49 5 9
    Drachen Roll +pet MAB/MACC 52 3 7
    Gallant's Roll Damage reflection 55 3 7
    Wizard's Roll +Magic Attack Bonus 58 5 9
    Dancer's Roll +Regen 61 5 9
    Scholar's Roll +Conserve MP 64 5 9[/code]
    Rolls are learned by using Die (like using a scroll for a magic spell), which can be bought from Chayaya @ J-8 in Al Zahbi (for original FFXI and WoG job dice) and Jajaroon @ G-7 in Nashmau (for RoZ/ToAU job dice).

Now, as for the actual mechanics of rolling...

--
    Job Abilities

At LV5, Corsair obtains two Job Abilities:

1) Phantom Roll (recast: 60 seconds)-
    Starts the chosen roll. For example:

/ja "Corsair's Roll" <me>

...would use Phantom Roll to execute the Corsair's Roll. Six cards numbered I-VI will spin around your character, then one will be selected, and your running total will be shown.

The range of the Phantom Roll effect (using the Distance plugin for Windower) is 7.9, or 15.9 with Luzaf's Ring equipped.

2) Double-Up (recast: 7 seconds)-
    After executing a Phantom Roll, you will have a 45 second Double-Up window to increase the value of your Roll. Each time you use the Double-Up JA, a set of six cards will spin around you and one will be selected. That card's value will be added to the total for your current Roll. You can continue to Double-Up until either you "Bust," or the 45 second Double-Up window expires.

Furthermore, the final roll value that a party member receives corresponds to the last roll/Double-Up that they were hit with, not the last one that you performed. If you hit 5/6 members with a V Evoker's and then run over to the 6th member and Double-Up to VIII, only the 6th member (and yourself, of course) have the VIII roll. The other 4 members have V.

The command for Double-Up is simply:

/ja "Double-Up" <me>

--
    Roll Duration and "Busting"

Rolls have a 5 minute duration, which starts from the moment you execute your Phantom Roll (not the moment you execute your last Double-Up on that Roll). However, if you Double-Up and your Roll total exceeds 11, you will "Bust" and all party members will lose the benefit of that Roll. In addition, you (the COR) will receive a negative penalty; for example, if you Bust on Ninja Roll, you will receive an Evasion debuff (-Evasion) for the duration of the Bust.

Busts also last for 5 minutes, but they last for 5 minutes from the moment of the Bust, not from the beginning of the Phantom Roll that led to the Bust.

It is also important to note that when you Bust, only party members in roll range will have the corresponding roll removed. In other words, if you Bust out of range of everyone else, they will all keep their roll (this can occasionally be useful for managing roll rotation).

--
    Removing/replacing Roll effects

You cannot manually cancel a Roll effect. However, a COR can overwrite a current Roll with a different Roll, provided that he does not have the desired replacement Roll active on himself. If you attempt to do a Phantom Roll for a Roll that is current active, you will receive the message, "The same roll is already active on <me>." Consequently, this means that you cannot "renew" a Roll like you can with a BRD song; you have to wait for it to expire (or replace it with a different Roll) first.

A COR main can provide two active Roll effects to the party. You can replace either of these effects with any inactive roll; however, if you Bust, you (the COR) can only have 1 effect active until Bust status expires (however, you can still provide two effects to the party by rotating your 1 open effect slot). If you Bust again and have double Bust status, you will be unable to successfully Roll until one of your Busts expires; any Roll attempt will result in "No effect."

Zoning will clear all Roll effects.

--
    Multiple CORs in party

Much like BRD songs, you can have multiple CORs in one party providing multiple Roll effects (two per COR).

--
    Lucky / Unlucky numbers

As you can see from the chart above, each Roll has a "Lucky" and "Unlucky" number. Normally, the potency of a Roll corresponds to your running total for that Roll; a Ninja Roll with a total of III provides less +Evasion than a Ninja Roll with a total of VII. However, the Lucky/Unlucky numbers are an exception; a total that matches the Lucky number will provide an effect slightly less than a total of XI (the maximum effect), while a total that matches the Unlucky number will provide the lowest benefit of any roll (a lower effect than a total of I).

--
    Exact roll effects

I strongly recommend that new corsairs consult this roll calculator Excel spreadsheet, created by Kylen. It gives a statistical analysis not only by roll probability, but by the actual return on each result, telling you whether the expected increase in buff potency is worth the risk (statistically speaking, of course). You can also see the average expected return on a roll (the "Expected Value of Double-Up" for Roll #0).

It is important to note that there is a level-based penalty on Chaos Roll or Wizard's Roll when the COR is lower-level than the target:
    [code]corLVL / targetLVL x bonus total[/code]
    Other rolls may also be affected by this level penalty (though Evoker's definitely is not).

Here's a quick reference to the data contained in the spreadsheet (these values do reflect the changes from the 8/27/07 patch)...

Corsair's Roll - EXP Bonus (with COR):
    [code]I = +10% EXP
    II = +11% EXP
    III = +11% EXP
    IV = +12% EXP
    V = +20% EXP
    VI = +13% EXP
    VII = +15% EXP
    VIII = +16% EXP
    IX = +8% EXP
    X = +17% EXP
    XI = +24% EXP
    Avg. = +15.7% EXP[/code]

Hunter's Roll - +ACC/RACC (without RNG/with RNG):
    [code]I = +10/25
    II = +13/28
    III = +15/30
    IV = +40/55
    V = +18/33
    VI = +20/35
    VII = +25/40
    VIII = +5/20
    IX = +27/43
    X = +30/45
    XI = +50/65
    Avg. = +29.6/42.6[/code]

Chaos Roll - +ATK/RATK (without DRK/with DRK):
    [code]I = +6.3%/16%
    II = +7.8%/17.6%
    III = +9.4%/19.1%
    IV = +25%/34.8%
    V = +10.9%/20.7%
    VI = 12.5%/22.3%
    VII = +15.6%/25.4%
    VIII = +3.1%/12.9%
    IX = +17.2%/27%
    X = +18.8%/28.5%
    XI = +31.2%/41%
    Avg. = +18.6%/27%[/code]

Magus's Roll - +Magic Defense Bonus (without BLU/with BLU):
    [code]I = +5/13
    II = +20/28
    III = +6/14
    IV = +8/16
    V = +9/17
    VI = +3/11
    VII = +10/18
    VIII = +13/21
    IX = +14/22
    X = +15/23
    XI = +25/33
    Avg. = +14.9/22.3[/code]

Healer's Roll - +hMP (without WHM/with WHM):
    [code]I = +2/5
    II = +3/6
    III = +10/13
    IV = +4/7
    V = +4/7
    VI = +5/8
    VII = +1/4
    VIII = +6/9
    IX = +7/10
    X = +7/10
    XI = +12/15
    Avg. = +7.3/10[/code]

Monk's Roll - +Subtle Blow (without MNK/with MNK):
    [code]I = +8/18
    II = +10/20
    III = +32/42
    IV = +12/22
    V = +14/24
    VI = +16/26
    VII = +4/14
    VIII = +20/30
    IX = +22/32
    X = +24/34
    XI = +40/50
    Avg. = +24/32.8[/code]

Samurai Roll - Store TP (without SAM/with SAM):
    [code]I = +8/18
    II = +32/42
    III = +10/20
    IV = +12/22
    V = +14/24
    VI = +4/14
    VII = +16/26
    VIII = +20/30
    IX = +22/32
    X = +24/34
    XI = +40/50
    Avg. = +23.6/32.8[/code]

Evoker's Roll - Refresh (without SMN/with SMN):
    [code]I = +1/2
    II = +1/2
    III = +1/2
    IV = +1/2
    V = +3/4
    VI = +2/3
    VII = +2/3
    VIII = +2/3
    IX = +1/2
    X = +3/4
    XI = +4/5
    Avg. = +2.3/3.3[/code]

Fighter's Roll - Double Attack + x (without WAR/with WAR):
    [code]I = +1%/6%
    II = +2%/7%
    III = +3%/8%
    IV = +4%/9%
    V = +10%/15%
    VI = +5%/10%
    VII = +6%/11%
    VIII = +6%/11%
    IX = +1%/6%
    X = +7%/12%
    XI = +15%/20%
    Avg. = +7.2%/11.6%[/code]

Drachen Roll - +pet MAB/MACC (without DRG):
    [code]I = +3
    II = +4
    III = +12
    IV = +5
    V = +6
    VI = +6
    VII = +2
    VIII = +8
    IX = +9
    X = +10
    XI = +16
    Avg. = +9.5[/code]

Gallant's Roll - % damage reflection (without PLD/with PLD):
    [code]I = 5%/15%
    II = 8%/18%
    III = 24%/34%
    IV = 9%/19%
    V = 11%/21%
    VI = 12%/22%
    VII = 3%/13%
    VIII = 15%/25%
    IX = 17%/27%
    X = 18%/28%
    XI = 30%/40%
    Avg. = 18%/26.9%[/code]

Wizard's Roll - Magic Attack Bonus (without BLM/with BLM):
    [code]I = +2/6
    II = +3/7
    III = +4/8
    IV = +4/8
    V = +10/14
    VI = +5/9
    VII = +6/10
    VIII = +7/11
    IX = +1/5
    X = +7/11
    XI = +12/16
    Avg. = +7.1/10.7[/code]

Dancer's Roll - +HP/tick (without DNC/with DNC):
    [code]I = +4/7
    II = +4/7
    III = +11/14
    IV = +4/7
    V = +5/8
    VI = +6/9
    VII = +1/4
    VIII = +7/10
    IX = +8/11
    X = +8/11
    XI = +14/17
    Avg. = +8.3/11[/code]

Credit for the above data should go to the following:
    Corsair's Roll- Asphodel (Lakshmi)
    Healer's Roll- Dracont (Titan)
    Samurai Roll- myself
    Wizard's Roll- Dyvid (Pandemonium), myself
    Dancer's Roll- myself
    Hunter's, Chaos, Magus's, Monk's, Fighter's, Drachen, Gallant Roll- FrontPage - All or Nothing -FF11コルセア応援サイト-
    Last edited by Spider-Dan; 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM. Reason: update

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Re: How Dice Rolling works

Thanks for this post, learned from it. Can you correct this by the way:

[code]Roll Name Effect LV Lucky# Unlucky#
    Healer's Roll +hMP 20 3 7[/code]
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Spider, I appreciate your time on explaining.

Thanks again.

Also how long do these effects last? 5 mins?

Comment

Roll Duration and "Busting"
        Rolls have a 5 minute duration, which starts from the moment you execute your Phantom Roll (not the moment you execute your last Double-Up on that Roll). However, if you Double-Up and your Roll total exceeds 11, you will "Bust" and all party members will lose the benefit of that Roll. In addition, you (the COR) will receive a negative penalty; for example, if you Bust on Ninja Roll, you will receive an Evasion debuff (-Evasion) for the duration of the Bust.

Busts also last for 5 minutes, but they last for 5 minutes from the moment of the Bust, not from the beginning of the Phantom Roll that led to the Bust.
        You even read it? :p
        http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Originally posted by Spider-Dan
          2) Double-Up (recast: 10 seconds)-
          After executing a Phantom Roll, you will have a 45 second Double-Up window to increase the value of your Roll. Each time you use the Double-Up JA, a set of six cards will spin around you and one will be selected. That card's value will be added to the total for your current Roll. You can continue to Double-Up until either you "Bust," or the 45 second Double-Up window expires.
          For some reason, after using "Double-Up" I cannot use it on the same roll again. Do you have to use it fairly quick, then wait for the cool down timer, then use it again during the same window? It keeps giving me the error of not being able to use it again.
          Hacked on 9/9/09
          FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Thanks Sweetkitty, your so sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten
              Thanks Sweetkitty, your so sweet
              Well normally I disregard her posts, but in this case it was CLEARLY noted in the post...

Comment

Given that Phantom Roll requires 60 seconds to re-use and has a duration of 5 minutes, and Double-Up can be used immediately after and also is on a 7 second timer. In order to be most effective you would have to plan ahead and do something like a 'Roll Cycle'. Firstly you would Roll the first effect you predict your party will need about 1 minute before the first battle starts so you can apply the second roll just before battle starts. Then you would reapply the first one 4 minutes after that second roll and then the second one would reapplied 4 minutes after the first was reapplied. On top of that you would have to apply Double-Ups in-between those times if it is worthwile to double-up on the roll that was just cast. This might be better explained as a list of steps, let's assume we're using Hunter's Roll and Chaos Roll on the melees and that you decide to apply Double-Up twice on both of those Rolls, and that you are lucky enough to never Bust in the meantime:

1. (Time: 0:00) Roll Hunter's Roll 1 minute before party begins battles (Pre-buff)
                2. (Time: 0:01) Double-Up Hunter's Roll
                3. (Time: 0:08) Double-Up Hunter's Roll
                4. (Time: 1:00) Roll Chaos Roll as puller runs into camp (Do Corsair's get mob radar by the way? They probably would make ok pullers. )
                5. (Time: 1:01) Double-Up Chaos Roll (You will likely need to apply Double-Ups in the middle of battle, so stay sharp)
                6. (Time: 1:08) Double-Up Chaos Roll
                7. (Time 5:00) Roll Hunter's Roll again when it wears off (Repeating steps 1-6 after the 5 min. mark)

As you can see you can be kept pretty busy as a Corsair particularly in the first minute if you like to Gamble Dangerously and go for maximum Double Ups, or you tend to roll low numbers on initial Phantom Rolls and have to keep rolling to get better effects. But in order to be efficient you would have to keep all of that timing in mind as well. If you can do all that and deal damage/support heal at the same time, then it's more power to you. :D

I would highly highly suggest not to use the <me> targeting pronoun for these job ability macros. Instead I recommend something akin to the following:

/p {Hunter's Roll} {Party} Accuracy {Up}
                /ta <me>
                /ja "Hunter's Roll" <stpc>
                /echo Hunter's Roll Lucky number: 4, Unlucky number: 8. Double-Up again?
                /ja "Double-Up" <stpc>
                /echo Hunter's Roll Lucky number: 4, Unlucky number: 8. Double-Up in 7 seconds?

It would probably be wise to also have Double-Up itself on a separate macro in case you decide you want to use some other ability or spell off another of your macros and cancel out the second Double-Up sub-targets during the roughly 7 seconds in-between recasting time. And in case you are rolling low numbers and want to try for more than 1 Double-Up. I'd do something like:

/recast "Double-Up"
                /ja "Double-Up" <stpc>

Good luck everyone.
                Last edited by Muu Yi; 04-26-2006, 09:24 AM. Reason: Updating with real testing info, final edit promise =D

Avatar picture obtained from NamcoXCapcom Subarashiki Shin Sekai Community http://www.livejournal.com/community/namcoxcapcom/

Comment

Is it fair to assume that a COR will act like a BRD in that they will run around giving certain PT members certain effects. For example:

(Tanks)
                  Ninja Roll +Evasion 8 4 8
                  Gallant's Roll Damage reflection 55 3 7

(DDs)
                  Rogue's Roll +critical hit rate 43 5 9
                  Chaos Roll +ATK(/RATK?) 14 4 8

(Down Time)
                  Evoker's Roll Refresh 40 5 9
                  Healer's Roll +hMP 20 3 7

(Mage Dmg)
                  Wizard's Roll +Magic ATK 58 5 9
                  (Keeping Refresh up)

How does that sound?

With this system in mind the Tanks choose whether they wanna go with more defense and evasion or more DD style. Mages on hte other hand would have refresh always (5 minute recast leaving 4 other things to be castable).

Other 4 things would be 2 for melees (tanks/dds) and 2 for mages where the 2 is Healer's Roll and Wizard's Roll but cancelling each other out.

This might be a bit nieve on my part but it seems like that is the ideal situation.

Thoughts, Comments?
                  75BLM/41RDM WHM37 61NIN/WAR37 MNK10 THF8
                  Bastok: 10 Windurst: 7-1
                  ZM: DONE CoP 8-1 ToAU8
                  Goldsmithing: 48.7+1 Clothcraft: 83.0+1
                  http://akujin.defaultalias.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetkitty
                    Thanks for this post, learned from it. Can you correct this by the way:
                    What's there to fix? I don't understand.

Double Post Edited:
                    Originally posted by Omniblast
                    For some reason, after using "Double-Up" I cannot use it on the same roll again. Do you have to use it fairly quick, then wait for the cool down timer, then use it again during the same window? It keeps giving me the error of not being able to use it again.
                    As soon as you use a Phantom Roll, you should be able to Double-Up immediately (recast is at 0:00 to start). The recast for Double-Up is just a little longer than the animation. So that means that you can get a maximum of 6 "rolls" on one Roll (PR, 2U, 10sec, 2U, 10sec, 2U, 10sec, 2U, 10sec, 2U).

Originally posted by Muu Yi
                    ]On top of that if you would have to apply Double-Ups in-between those times while simultaneously considering whether or not a double-up would be worthwhile on one of those rolls.
                    The first Double-Up is always worth it (unless you land on the lucky number). Remember, 2U and PR are two different JAs; you can use 2U as soon as you see the result from PR. You don't have to wait 10sec for the first 2U.

And I believe that the number of times you can Double Up may be limited depending on your level.
                    I don't see why it would be. I suppose the timer might extend, but that seems rather unnecessary; after 6 rolls, you should probably "stay" on what you're at anyway.
                    Last edited by Spider-Dan; 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Comment

Originally posted by Spider-Dan
                      after 6 rolls, you should probably "stay" on what you're at anyway.
                      If you ever make it to 6 rolls there should be some super bonus like hitting the same hand 5 times on black jack. Just sayin....

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
                      Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

Ah I see, I'll edit my original post some then. Theoretically if you hit 1s all the time on Rolls, you could Double-Up 10 times after Phantom Roll. Of course... that would require waiting 90 seconds and you have only 45 second window anyway, so you are right that the most times you could possibly roll including the initial Phantom Roll is 6, unless there are equipments or merits that can possibly modify this? There aren't enough Macro lines left over to continue adding more Double-Ups so, I think having 2 of them is pretty safe, and keep that separate Double-Up macro just in case you feel the need to roll more times.

Avatar picture obtained from NamcoXCapcom Subarashiki Shin Sekai Community http://www.livejournal.com/community/namcoxcapcom/

Comment

Ummm, you shouldn't have 2U in your PR macros, at all. What if you roll the Lucky Number on your PR?

Just make one macro for each different Roll and then one macro for 2U.

Comment

Dan, have you ever used the <stpc> sub-target before? If you land on lucky number then you hit cancel when target pops up, stops all the 2U in the macro from activating, neat huh? Works like a OR logic gate. I use sub-targets all the time.

Comment

Let's talk math for a bit.

Each roll ranges from 1 to 6, which assuming "unloaded dice", means the average result is 3.5.

You Bust at 12 or over, so you can almost always roll at least twice safely unless you roll a 6 on the first try. Note that if you roll a 6, you're over the limit for lucky numbers, so there's really not a lot of point in trying again unless you're greedy for a more powerful effect.

Here's some interesting properties regarding specific rolls. These percentages are calculated based on the assumption that you keep rolling until you hit or pass your lucky number.

Lucky #2
                              Affects:
                              Magus' Roll (+MDef)
                              Choral Roll (-SpellInterrupt)
                              Samurai Roll (+StoreTP)

Overall chance of getting lucky number 2: 19.44%

Lucky #3
                              Affects:
                              Healer's Roll(+hMP)
                              Monk's Roll (+SubtleBlow)
                              Drachen Roll(+Pet Magic ATK/ACC)
                              Gallant's Roll(Damage Reflect)

Overall chance of getting lucky number 3: 22.68%

Lucky #4
                              Affects:
                              Ninja Roll (+Evasion)
                              Hunter's Roll(+ACC/RACC)
                              Chaos Roll(+ATK)
                              Puppet Roll(+Pet ACC)
                              Beast Roll (+Pet ATK)
                              Warlock's Roll (+MACC)

Overall chance of getting lucky number 4: 26.47%

Lucky #5
                              Affects:
                              Corsair's Roll(+EXP)
                              Evoker's Roll(Refresh)
                              Rogue's Roll(+Critical)
                              Fighter's Roll(+DoubleATK)
                              Wizard's Roll(+MATK)

Overall chance of getting lucky number 5: 30.88% *

Icemage

EDIT: Fixed percentages!
                              Last edited by Icemage; 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X