disc is unreadable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc is unreadable

im haveing a problem with my xbox. everytime i insert the disc, a message pops up saying that the disc is unreadabe. I dont know what to do because i have cleaned the disc and made sure that there were no scratches but it still doesnt work. Also, last time that i played ffxi it worked and i was using the same disc. Has anyone encountered this problem? and any tips on how to fix it?

BTW, all of my other games work

Re: disc is unreadable

I had the same problem when all my other games worked. After 2 7 hour final fantasy installs and a new xbox ( the old one was on the way out anyway and a new copy of the game I stumbled onto the solution to my problem. Re install the playonline viewer to the HDD of your xbox and it should work fine. Its something to do with the XME dashboard corrupts the playonline installation when its turned off without completely shutting down.

Try that it works for me. theres an option in played games select POL viewer with the disk in the xbox and in there theres an option to install to hard drive (if you knew how to do that already please excuse me, I didnt when i had the problem) It worked for me so you can but try it.
    Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
    Alchemy 23 Cooking 23
    Bastok 6-1 COP complete AU complete ZM complete WotG Wings Of Glory

Comment

I had the same problem. I have the original 360 version of the game. Had to return my 360 after the RROD and the game would not load, admittedly not having played the game in about 8 months. With the original release the only options I was told was to reformat the disk. I had upgraded to a 120 Gb disk so installed on the old 20 Gb one and was having to recover my gamertag when I swapped disks to play the game and back after.

I eventually had to buy the 2008 edition. Installed it to the HD from the dashboard and ran it from HD and did an uninstall from the Viewer to clear the disk. After which the game installed correctly, I then deleted it from the Hard Disk from the dashboard. I then had a problem with the new disk and have now reverted to the old disk which runs happily with the installation.

Incidentally installing my original disk to the HD to do the above did not work.

This is were I sorted my problem with it...

Re-installing ffxi on Xbox 360 - Order of the Blue Gartr

Comment

Hi, i am actually glad to see im not the only one having this issue. I have had to reinstall FFXI every time i want to play and its very frustrating.

I formatted my xbox 360 hard drive giving me 13.7 GB of free space. Seems normal enough

Whenever i install FFXI using the disc i can play immidiately after install but if i shut the xbox off it says the disc is unreadable.

So my first thought having played the PS2 version was Oh, duh, install the POL viewer on the xbox HDD. So ...

I reformat the disk again, 13.7GB free

I install POL on the hard disk, Success!

I run POL from the HDD and proceed to install FFXI. It now gives me an error saying i don't have enough space. Evidently after installing the playonline viewer from the disk i only have 6.9 GB of free space.

I know if the whole FFXI game is about 9 gigs with all the updates that POL can't possibly be 7 gigs like it says.

So what is the proper order of going about this?

I have the 2008 collection edition for xbox 360.

Currently i am trying to install FFXI on the disc, then with that already installed, installing POL on the HDD. we'll see if that works...

Comment

Is it the same unreadable message? Like the one in the link I had in my last post?

I had installed successfully from the 2008 disk and (fortunately) it was starting with it OK. For no reason (I checked the disk and could see no sign of damage) I was told that the 360 could not read the disk and suggested I clean it (different message to the one above). Nothing seemed to solve the problem with the 2008 disk. At that point I reverted to my original release disk and have had no further problems.

Comment

Yeah i think so. Unfortunately before i bought this collectors edition disc i hadn't played FFXI on xbox 360 so i don't have that disk....

Okay okay okay... Let's see. Bassman do you have all 4 of the expansion packs on and just use your old disk to load POL?

This may be the cheapest solution, the "original disc" you are talking about is the WotG expansion disc? If i could just buy one of those its like 10 bucks at gamestop... beats buying a bigger HDD.

I install everything as prompted to on the screen with an empty HDD (20GB/13.7 Free) everything works fine XI is installed it says POL is installed but it can't be viewed on the HD like FFXI can't be viewed. I can play FFXI and everything but as soon as i turn the xbox off.

I turn the xbox on and it can't read the disc. This is the third time i have reinstalled the game.. started new macros etc.

I'm thinking one other way might work but it will be very annoying. Hear me out:
            Install everything as normal POL and FFXI
            Each time you want to turn of your xbox:
            1. exit FFXI via "Log out" feature. This sends you back to your POL lobby area
            2. Return to the first page of POL where you log in and it has all the options on the left to install and support etc.
            3. Unistall POL

This is where it gets theoretical
            4. This should kick you out of POL and send you back to the dashboard.
            5. Since POL is no longer installed, the POL disc should still run w/o the "Disc is unreadable error"
            6. So instead of reinstalling FFXI everytime i want to play i just have to reinstall POL which takes maybe 25 minutes with updating.

EDIT: This Doesn't work . . . . it does not let you uninstall POL without uninstalling FFXI it also doesn't let you cancel the process so i just wasted yet another 72 minutes of my time which will be spent waiting up for the game to finish installing again.. (5th time)

This is still way more trouble than it should be. What i am hoping is that after this install of FFXI i can unistall POL from the POL menu and then have enough room to install it on the HDD from the dashboard. /sigh..
            Last edited by Relyk711; 05-27-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

All I did was format my hdd so I had full free space. install the POL viewer and ff11 normally. In the played games option select install POL viewer to HDD, this allows you to run it from the HDD and it works fine. Just make sure you exit POL correcly. if you just turn off your xbox without logging out of the game and POL you corrupt you POL installation and your back to the error.

To get the game running if its doing the disk unreadable just install the POL viewer to the HDD and run from the hdd. it should work, its how i solved it an ive not had any problems since.
              Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
              Alchemy 23 Cooking 23
              Bastok 6-1 COP complete AU complete ZM complete WotG Wings Of Glory

Comment

I recently encountered this problem after my 360 RRoD'd. I decided to upgrade to a HDMI enabled model so I purchased a arcade version to attach my 120HDD to because my friend said he knew someone who would buy my returned model. I re-installed everything after numerous guides got me thru POL error codes and the hrs and hrs of downloading updates. Got into my game. Realized all my macros were gone, got pissed, and logged off. The next day I logged in to start my homework-macro mega session only to recieve the error message you speak of. I was a little put out to say the least... it basically was saying the disc was unreadable if I remember correctly. The disk itself was not anymore scratched than some of the other games I have that consistently work so I was a bit confused.

***I un-installed the quick-start-up option the 360 has... ya know the one that makes it so the drive is only used upon initial start up of the game and then never again during gameplay and NOT the actual game info which makes you re-install the whole shabang. I re-installed it for "silent play" and it's worked perfect ever since.

I now save my macros/map markers/config to the server all the time: at the character selection screen press Left Bumper Button + Left Toggle Stick... I didn't know it was an option until all my macros, configurations, and map markers were just gone. I was a tad miffed bout that. I've only had the time to make macro sets for my main DNC and my 2nd SAM. All the other jobs macro sets, I just haven't worked up my courage to re-make yet. When I my RRoD'd 360 back I'm wondering what the process will be to get those macros back... or if I even want em.

Good luck all....
                FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

The installation on the Hard Disk is completely independent of the disk the game is run from so I have the complete installation.

On my old 20 Gb disk with which I had to use to play the game, I initially swapped from my 120 Gb and recovered the Gamertag to play. The intallation and update took 12 hours on that!! I at least don't have to swap disks now, having the game on my 120 Gb drive. WIth the new 2008 disk the installation was a lot quicker.

You didn't say whether it was the download again or just can't read the disk message. I am assuming it is the latter. I haven't tried my 2008 edition again I must admit.

I don't like advertising other forums but it may be worth posting on the forum in the link above to see if anyone else has any bright ideas as I think I am out of any other helpful suggestions.

Comment

I am actually in the process of reinstalling once again. this will be the 4th time. now i understand that the best way to keep your ff11 from corrupting is to log out completely, which makes some sort of sense and is annoying because when i go to log out it takes me about 10 min. dont know why but it makes me very angry. reason being if i have to leave all the sudden or my power goes out from a storm then im stuck right where im at now and that is honestly very stupid. with the gaming tech we have today and the fact im paying 12 bucks a month to play you figured this problem wouldnt even exist. but snce it does im once again spending my hard earned money not playing FF11 but playing the re-re-re-re install game and if anyone has ever played that game you now that you dont win.. i know this post prolly doesnt make any sense or help anyone and believe me if i could help i would. but obviosly no one cares that recieves these payments from us as the game has been out for how long and the problem still persist. oh and i tried going to my dashboard and pushing (Y) on the (my xbox) screen to install the game to my harddrive but everytime i try it says the game is not supported for that. so ya im angry, lost and anxious to play this game again. if anyone can help with somethin new that would be awesome if not ill keep trying to make sure i log out correctly even though that takes me forever for some reason. thanks to all and good luck to all

Comment

Originally posted by st0neyb View Post
                      I am actually in the process of reinstalling once again. this will be the 4th time. now i understand that the best way to keep your ff11 from corrupting is to log out completely, which makes some sort of sense and is annoying because when i go to log out it takes me about 10 min. dont know why but it makes me very angry. reason being if i have to leave all the sudden or my power goes out from a storm then im stuck right where im at now and that is honestly very stupid. with the gaming tech we have today and the fact im paying 12 bucks a month to play you figured this problem wouldnt even exist. but snce it does im once again spending my hard earned money not playing FF11 but playing the re-re-re-re install game and if anyone has ever played that game you now that you dont win.. i know this post prolly doesnt make any sense or help anyone and believe me if i could help i would. but obviosly no one cares that recieves these payments from us as the game has been out for how long and the problem still persist. oh and i tried going to my dashboard and pushing (Y) on the (my xbox) screen to install the game to my harddrive but everytime i try it says the game is not supported for that. so ya im angry, lost and anxious to play this game again. if anyone can help with somethin new that would be awesome if not ill keep trying to make sure i log out correctly even though that takes me forever for some reason. thanks to all and good luck to all

almost all MMORPGs have that warning about loggin out. Also this sounds like you have a Hard drive issue, and not one with FFXI
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

well im not sure if its my hardrive because its the newest version of the 360 out with the 120gb HDD. not saying youre wrong cause anything is possible. but im almost positive its not my HDD but i will check just in case.
                        Thanks for your help

Comment

well im not sure if its my hardrive because its the newest version of the 360 out with the 120gb HDD. not saying youre wrong cause anything is possible. but im almost positive its not my HDD but i will check just in case.
                          Thanks for your help

I will say this too, because it happened to me, in that I was getting that error, when I was trying to play the Left4Dead demo... along with a few other demos, and one of my games. Turned out to be my 360, took my HDD and got a new X-box, and it has worked fine since.

Comment

Aww man really? not again with the broken x box ive gone through about 5 360s since they came out. well do you think if i just keep logging out no matter how long it takes that it will keep playing? because i played yesterday and logged out completely then logged back in with no problem. but today i was agitated and wasnt very patient so i just pressed my power button which i knew was wrong but didnt care at the time. so you think maybe its just my own stupidity? hopefully my own stupidity cause this game rocks but downloading doesnt lol

Comment

Aww man really? not again with the broken x box ive gone through about 5 360s since they came out. well do you think if i just keep logging out no matter how long it takes that it will keep playing? because i played yesterday and logged out completely then logged back in with no problem. but today i was agitated and wasnt very patient so i just pressed my power button which i knew was wrong but didnt care at the time. so you think maybe its just my own stupidity? hopefully my own stupidity cause this game rocks but downloading doesnt lol
                              depends... but if it is the HDD or the system itself, its only going to get worse, nomatter what you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X