An introduction to all servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An introduction to all servers

This thread is exactly what I'm looking for; thank you for this sticky, Sevv!

However, It's not yet finished... Originally, I was going to make a new thread describing my situation and ask for some advice but I figure that this thread will do just fine.

At any rate, I'm thinking about getting back into Final Fantasy XI. I don't really know why, I don't think I'll have all that much time for it, but I've reached a point in my life where I just want some alone time, but I wont get into that. MMO's are great time wasters and I've always liked FFXI: Online.

A Couple of months ago, a buddy of mine decided to start up again. He told me that it sucked and immediately quit playing. He said that the servers are now either barren or populated with only high level PCs, deeming it nearly impossible to play the game. Incidentally, I did not ask him what server he chose so I have no idea which one he was talking about in particular.

Now, you guys say that these servers have their differences. i.e. server populations vary, some are better than others for new players, some have more of a Japanese player base, there's differences in prices in auction houses and so on. My question is obvious; which one should I pick? If anyone could help me out on making this decision, I would be much obliged!

Also, If there's a linkshell out there that would accept a player that will probably only be able to play for a couple of hours a day in the evenings, let me know! (I'm still thinking about what race and classes to choose.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

Regarding Midgardsormr: A useful bit of info may be that the culture on Midgardsormr is more accepting of RP. It is not by any stretch of the imagination an RP server, but as an RPLS shellholder I have observed very few issues of harassment or condemnation of us as we RP in public areas, whereas I have heard accounts of RP being much more difficult to accomplish on some other servers due to disruption by other players.

There's probably more I can say about things like acceptance of various playstyles based on differences I've noticed from our observations versus accounts from users like Itazura or Omgwtfbbqkitten, but that will probably take a fair bit of time to assemble (now I wish I'd been taking notes).

Also, for notable FFXIO people, uh... I definitely nominate Armando.

Pteryx and myself are also from there.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Originally posted by Pillowcase View Post
        This thread is exactly what I'm looking for; thank you for this sticky, Sevv!
        However, It's not yet finished... Originally, I was going to make a new thread describing my situation and ask for some advice but I figure that this thread will do just fine.
        At any rate, I'm thinking about getting back into Final Fantasy XI. I don't really know why, I don't think I'll have all that much time for it, but I've reached a point in my life where I just want some alone time, but I wont get into that. MMO's are great time wasters and I've always liked FFXI: Online.
        A Couple of months ago, a buddy of mine decided to start up again. He told me that it sucked and immediately quit playing. He said that the servers are now either barren or populated with only high level PCs, deeming it nearly impossible to play the game. Incidentally, I did not ask him what server he chose so I have no idea which one he was talking about in particular.
        Now, you guys say that these servers have their differences. i.e. server populations vary, some are better than others for new players, some have more of a Japanese player base, there's differences in prices in auction houses and so on. My question is obvious; which one should I pick? If anyone could help me out on making this decision, I would be much obliged!
        Also, If there's a linkshell out there that would accept a player that will probably only be able to play for a couple of hours a day in the evenings, let me know! (I'm still thinking about what race and classes to choose.)
        Thanks in advance for any advice.
        DIV is made up of players from this website we have alot of lower level players, some who are just starting out, your play time makes no real diff to use if its 24 hours a day or and hour here and there. Its located on kujata.
        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
          DIV is made up of players from this website we have alot of lower level players, some who are just starting out, your play time makes no real diff to use if its 24 hours a day or and hour here and there. Its located on kujata.
          I appreciate that, Sevv. I think I should be online in about a month from now, however. But when I'm about to sign on, I'll send you a PM.

Comment

How is the Leviathan server in general? Economy and population?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffus View Post
              How is the Leviathan server in general? Economy and population?
              For Economy I think you should check prices from one of the strongest servers on FFXIAH against Leviathan. I am usually only online between 5:00PM EST until 12:00AM EST during the week its between about 1600-2400 people online. When it gets closer to 1:00AM its about 2400-2700ish. I think the numbers have gone down a bit since SE has been ridding the world of RMTs and with the level sync update, there are more parties, but usually less people online. Last year around this time, at about 7:00EST every night there'd be about 2400 people online but now there's around 1700-1900.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------
              "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
              "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
              Originally posted by Solymir
              What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Working...
              X