error 3001... vista or my isp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error 3001... vista or my isp?

Hello all, im new to the boards, trolled a bit and read around before i registered. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem logging in, or just changing areas in general. I got the game working fine on vista, installed POL from a laptop which has XP(SP2) on it, when i finally got all the updates done and character made, i logged in fine and i thought all was well.. when I went to enter the bastok markets i get the screen which says ...downloading information... for about 3-4 mins and then the dreadful error 3001, connection has timed out. I read around and figured it was probably the UAC or most likely my firewall settings, i tried at first to disable the UAC, and enable the ports 50k+ on the firewall, that didn't work, so just for shits and giggles i tried taking the firewall down completely for a few moments, and UAC off, still same issue. Afterwards it tells me im still logged in for about 3-4 mins and when i log in i may or may not be in the new area, yet the problem persists if i try to change again. Could this possibly be caused by vista? Or perhapts my ISP? My connection is through my apartment complex, Its quest wireless and my wireless adapter is external. System specs : AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.20 GHz, 2gb ram, windows vista, and the firewall is mcafee. Any response would be appreciated.

-Cheaplogic
    Last edited by Cheaplogic; 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM.

Re: error 3001... vista or my isp?

Alot of people have this problem. The last update messed up alot of data files. I can't get into Rabao myself.

Btw, Trolling =/= Lurking. You where Lurking. Lurking is OK. Trolling is BAD, and Trollers promptlu get the ban stick on these fourms :D
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Comment

I'm having similar issues as you. Everything works great in NSandoria, SSandoria, WRonfaure and Ranperre's Tomb, but when I try to go to PortSandoria or ERonfaure the zone loads but none of the NPCs or monsters. I.e. I can run around until the error 3001 and even move to other zones, but nothing can be targetted, no stats or maps can be viewed and no abilities used.

I tried the same solutions you have: setting my firewall settings to 50k+ and even completely opening up my firewall completely to no avail. The thing is I can exactly pinpoint when this problem started happening because I zoned from PortSandoria to NSandoria and realized I'd forgotten to buy a spell, so immediately turned back around and couldn't access PortSandoria anymore.

I'm using a PS2 and have verified the compatability of my router, etc with it. And had no troubles for the first day of play.

Day 3 and counting of no access to spells as a Red Mage.... frustrating is starting to sound like an understatement to me at this point.

Edit: Thanks for the info that others are having the same issues. Its scary enough being a newbie without having to deal with technical issues. Guess I'll slug it out and hope it gets resolved soon.

Comment

I too am having this problem, gives me the 4001 error (ps2) and I can no longer go to Sauramouge Champain (sp?). It's the only zone I've found so far that I've found that I'm having an issue with. Does any one have the workaround for this yet? Re-install? GM call? Rituallistic sacrifice of a new WoW game to the FFXI avatars??? Oh as a side note, if you can find a zone line you may be able to reconnect with the new area after you get booted. I finally managed to get out after finding Jueno again.

Comment

Still havent been able to resolve the issue, i plan on trying to find any other program on my computer that might be interfering with the port access. I thought it might be spysweeper, but even if its fully disabled the problem persists. Ill call customer support and see if they can help me, hopefully it wasnt something silly and i look like an ass. Thanks to all of those who have replied thus far, and if any of you have some info on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheaplogic

Comment

still no luck, i think im on to what the problem actually is tho. I connect using a wireless adapter to a router somewhere in my apartment complex. I believe the tcp ports 25, 80, 110, 443 & 50000-65535 ... udp 50000-65535 are being blocked by that routers firewall. Im not sure how i can configure the port forwarding on a router i dont know how to access. Ive sent an e-mail to the technical support at my ISP, i recall accessing the router through a browser but i can remember how, anyone know?
            Last edited by Cheaplogic; 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed my dyslexia

Comment

you will most likely have to hit the gateway of your network.

typically gateways are 192.168.0.1 for example... it all depends on what subnet youre on.

most likely those ports are blocked because they dont want you running a email server or website from the network. (25-smtp, 80-web, 110-pop3, 443 https, etc).

talk to your isp or whoever can edit the buildings firewall settings.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

i believe my gateway is 192.168.2.1 , but the browser just times out when i try to connect to it, i dont get the username/password screen. I called my ISP and according to the girl i talked to "we dont block any ports" i asked her if there was any way i could access the router and it went downhill from there. Is there ANYTHING else that could be causing this besides the router that im connecting through? *UPDATE* I contacted ffxi support and they told me my isp is blocking the ports on thier router. So.. i called my isp again and asked to talk to a supervisor, she eventually told me "we cant tell you the manufacturer of the router" "its not blocking the ports" "its a basic router that does not have port forwarding functionality" and there is no way for me to access the router. Im totally confused now, on my way back to the ffxi support, anyone got any ideas??
                Last edited by Cheaplogic; 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

change isp

check that you yourself doesnt have any firewall software running thats blocking it. i hate windows firewall because its such an annoyance.

so basically its you > wifi to router > internet right?

Comment

"so basically its you > wifi to router > internet right?" -> yes. Im re-installing the game now, per advice ffxi support. If it doesnt work i will change my isp...ill have to go with comcast eww. I cant wait to get online, thanks for all the info so far :p

Comment

comcast is fine. it sounds like your building's isp is pretty lame.

good luck!

Comment

Well, bad news for me, hoping someone will have some advice.. Ive talked to ffxi support and the tech support for my isp. The isp keeps telling me the wirless router is not blocking the ports, its a simplistic router that doesnt support port forwarding. I told this to ffxi support and they say "unfortunately since you dont have open access to your router there is nothing we can do to help you". I can change areas, i just have to time out, then relog in, time out then relog again lol. Is there a specific port used to change areas? Because i can create a new char fine or logon to ther server fine as well. Are there any network settings on my computer that might be causing this? My firewall is set up to allow ports 25, 80, 110, 443, 50000-65535 UDP 50000-65535. I also have webroot spysweeper installed not sure if that might have anything to do with it. Oh and i tried to switch ISP's, but neither comcast OR qwest are avaiable in my apartment complex... only this wifi bullshit. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Ide pay to finnaly be able to play.

Comment

Working...
                        X