Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Settings for viewing threads from different locations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settings for viewing threads from different locations.

Okay that title sounds really stupid but let me explain. Here I am, browsing the forum at work, and trying to keep a low profile even though we have nothing to do. Problem is, those avatars and sigs are pretty huge on this 800x600 monitor (wish I were kidding, this res sucks) and I don't really want to see them when I'm at work. Well, actually, I don't really want my coworkers (boss, especially) to see them at work.

Now I know, I can go to my User CP and turn them off, but the thing is, I like seeing them when I'm not here. And it seems like a huge pain in the ass for me to go in every single day and turn them on and off.

So I'm wondering if there could be an easier toggle, or maybe a "memory" kind of deal, where it remembers, "Hey, you're at home, I'm going to display avatars, signatures, and images now!" And were it might recognize that I'm at a "flagged" computer (work) and thus, turn all that shit off.

Can that be done? Or am I going to have to manually do it myself or just take the chance that my browsing will be noticed? Just a thought.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Re: Settings for viewing threads from different locations.

If there is a way to do that, it's way way more trouble for me to research and implement it than for you to manually change your settings, to say nothing of the other things I will undoubtedly break in the process.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for at least answering. I'm viewing with the window about half the size of the screen so I can at least "crop" avatars for now. I will block the more troublesome NSFW ones.
      sigpic

Comment

work computer, firefox, adblock, get to work manually blocking avatars and signatures.

Alternatively, you can probably find a firefox plugin that will selectively remove images from vbulletin.

If you want to be a pro, turn off images on work browser. I did that on firefox for awhile, was interesting./

Comment

I don't think I'm going to be allowed to download Firefox here. I don't know what the fuck it is with IT departments and IE, but I've never worked anywhere that allowed me to use FF.
          sigpic

Comment

I just use AdBlock Plus and filter Malacite's manually when I'm at work. I come home to a different machine though, and it sounds like you're using the same one both at work and at home.
            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
            Name: Drjones
            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

No I'm not. But I can't use AdBlock here. I just don't want to have to go into CP and change my settings every day when I get to work. If I could, I'd just ABP everything.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't think the change would be too difficult to implement. There's already a drop-down at the bottom of the page that'll allow you to select a new theme on the fly. A check-box beside it that would toggle a setting that displays user avatars and signitures wouldn't be much more difficult.

Comment

Yes now that would be awesome. The current method is a pain in the ass. Just call it "DiV Lite" lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Right, an entirely new theme would probably be much easier to do.

Comment

I used to miss the avatars (never the sigs, because seriously, folks, some of your sigs are just...), but I've gotten used to it by now. It's why mine hasn't changed in forever, because I don't even notice it anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't mind them at all if not for a select few that are definitely NSFW. This is why I don't browse BG at work. Pretty much nothing there is SFW.
                        sigpic

Comment

You mean you don't just turn them all off? Seriously, none of the avatars or sigs at BG are worth keeping on, with the possible exception of the "you're banned" avatar.
                          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                          Name: Drjones
                          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

That's not the only reason I don't visit BG at work. Generally that entire site is inappropriate. And as such, the sigs/avatars there don't really bug me too much.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X