Suggestion: Anti-necro measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Anti-necro measures

Would it be feasible to visually signify older posts somehow? Maybe give anything older than X a slightly faded background color. Could give it a few different levels, too, to show when a post is really old. Nothing that would make it difficult to read, just enough to spot when writing a reply. Maybe an icon. Or big, angry, red text if you don't want to go for subtle.

(I don't expect this will stop necroposters from necroposting, but it'd at least let people know that that's what's happened.)
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Re: Suggestion: Anti-necro measures

thought this was about necrophilia, I guess my response doesn't make as much sense now, I'll save it for later.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
      thought this was about necrophilia, I guess my response doesn't make as much sense now, I'll save it for later.
      >_>;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
        UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH????? *Continues to drink Orange Juice*

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
        Would it be feasible to visually signify older posts somehow? Maybe give anything older than X a slightly faded background color. Could give it a few different levels, too, to show when a post is really old. Nothing that would make it difficult to read, just enough to spot when writing a reply. Maybe an icon. Or big, angry, red text if you don't want to go for subtle.

(I don't expect this will stop necroposters from necroposting, but it'd at least let people know that that's what's happened.)
        Yeah, but 9/10 times most of the people that necro are new people with posts under 10, so when they come to the board they wouldn't know what the colors meant.
        {New Sig in the works}
        -----------------------
        "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
        "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
        Originally posted by Solymir
        What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
          Yeah, but 9/10 times most of the people that necro are new people with posts under 10, so when they come to the board they wouldn't know what the colors meant.
          Yeah, that's what I was saying, it won't stop the necroposts. But it might stop people replying to the necroposts as if they weren't. (Although if it were an image or text instead of the subtle shading idea, that'd be easier for new posters to understand.)

Another option would be an intermediary, forced preview page "Hey, this is really old, are you sure you want to reply?" or some such.
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
            Another option would be an intermediary, forced preview page "Hey, this is really old, are you sure you want to reply?" or some such.
            lol that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I was thinking of a pop-up, but since most people have pop-up blockers then that wouldn't work. For some reason I was thinking more of a psychodelic flashing banner that says "You know this topic is older than Jack Johnson when Miss Hattie died, right?"
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

What's wrong with bringing back up an older post?
              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
              RANK 10 Bastok
              CoP: Done
              ZM: Done
              ToA: Done
              Assault rank: Captain
              Campaign Medal: Medals
              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Dead discussions should stay dead. If it was important, it wouldn't have died or it would be stickied.

I say just lock the topic after XX amount of time of inactivity. If relevant information pops up about a specific topic after XX amount of time, wouldn't it warrent it's own topic anyway?
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I agree with the locking thing, but it would have to be automatically done like ... 1 year after the last post, and not something the mods would have to manually do, lol.
                  sigpic
                  ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                  ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                  ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                  ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I'd prefer the subtle visual cue myself. A different background color for the post area would be a good cue easily processed at the subconscious level that says "what you're reading here is not current." I've gotten momentarily confused/bewildered by discussions that I didn't realize at first was years old and discussing long-since-outdated theories/formulae/etc. I reorient myself easily enough after a while by thinking to check the date, but that's a conscious, deliberate act for most of us; noticing the background color wouldn't be.
                    Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                    DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                    Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                    Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                    WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                    Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                    All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                    Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                    Clothcraft 24
                    Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                    BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Eh just leave it, that one thread about RNG hands pops up every 6 months or so and is good for a laugh, same with the old melee RDM ones.

Comment

I thought TGM was/is our Necro counter measure.
                        "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Forget the necros, we need measures to make sure that bad threads don't get started in the first place.

Comment

I so want that popup to come up on pretty much every single forum I visit.
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Anti-necro measures.

Look, since the ancient times (and to this day) people have tried:

Cursing, magic seals, holy water, fire, frightening stories and legends, several types of firearms of different calibers, political maneuvering, senate-seat auctioning, internetz warfare, sending private countermeasure task forces, sending the army, nuking the entire city, etc. etc.

And nothing has worked, nothing.

Want to feel safer when facing the undead? Keep a combat knife and a shotgun with you at all times and be prepared to do your civic duty of fighting the undead mano a mano.

Simple as that.

..or you know, shotgun shot to the head, whichever works for you.
                              sigpic
                              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X