Gil for real world currency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil for real world currency

So I aint been here long, but I was just reading up on the recently banned accounts on the main page - not logged in yet - when I saw the many many accounts destroyed for "Gil and item exchange for real world money." And then I glanced to the right side of the page and see an add for another website selling Gil for real world money. What's the deal?

Sorry if I'm out of place or whatever, I'm just really really curious. What's the deal??

Re: Gil for real world currency

Anyone who puts unfiltered Google Ads in their ad bar will get Gilseller sites. Gilsellers pay for advertising--they sell services pertinent to FFXI. What other types of advertising revenue do you think most sites can come up with? FFXIOnline (this site) relies on donations. Gilsellers own some of the content sites, but they don't necessarily manage them. Money is simply the nature of the beast. Ignore the ads.

Comment

not logged in yet
      Login and problem solved.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
      ------
      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
        Login and problem solved.
        Logout, and the problem's still there.

Seriously, how do you think our "AdSense," or, more appropriately, our lack of it, makes us look to visitors of the site? I know PiNG's done all he could to blacklist ever single RMT ad that comes to his attention, but they just keep coming back.

Also . . .

Originally posted by Mad Maxine View Post
        Bold!
        Aw, great, another Snowball.
        Originally posted by Armando
        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
        Matthew 16:15

Comment

I will bring up the WithGames ads to PiNG the next time I see him and he'll get google to stop showing it here. YM, you're good at reminding me of things. Please make sure I do that.

Also, please do continue to report any inappropriate advertisements such as that. A PM to an admin or a thread in the Comment/Suggestions forum should do the trick. Speaking of which, this thread should be there.

I'll look into alternate advertising services and see if I can find anything that works for us and PiNG. I know ffxiah has changed ad networks recently due to intrusive ads and the recent panic about malicious scripts. Maybe I'll find out what they've gone to and see if it's a good solution for us.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
            Logout, and the problem's still there.

Seriously, how do you think our "AdSense," or, more appropriately, our lack of it, makes us look to visitors of the site? I know PiNG's done all he could to blacklist ever single RMT ad that comes to his attention, but they just keep coming back.

Also . . .

Aw, great, another Snowball.

I was indeed very turned off by how many ads there were on the left side. But thank god the site doesn't use pop-up ads, right?

Something the site might want to think about is putting adds in between every 3-5 posts as to not clutter the left hand side.

I can understand why they're using AdSense. It helps the site operates. It's not like they're getting any profit off of us....
            Last edited by Lunaped; 12-20-2007, 08:32 AM. Reason: seriously, it gets annoying after awhile...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaped View Post
              [System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]
              A forum add-on won't let you post urls until you've reached 15 posts. Linked quotes like the quote button automatically generates count too, as well as smilies and images.

Edit: heh but I guess inline editing gets around it, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                A forum add-on won't let you post urls until you've reached X posts. Linked quotes like the quote button automatically generates count too, as well as smilies and images.
                I thought the actual post count of that filter was being kept secret so that you didn't just have spambots/morons post X times to get past it.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                  I thought the actual post count of that filter was being kept secret so that you didn't just have spambots/morons post X times to get past it.

Whatever it is, it's still annoying after awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                    Yeah, but they've been trying that lately anyway and it's less annoying for new people if they don't have to figure out through trial and error. We should just can the thing, imo.

Besides, if we don't catch on and mass-delete+ban them within 15 posts, somebody's falling down on the job.

Comment

somebody's falling down on the job.
                      Will more hats be promised to be eaten?
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I will bring up the WithGames ads to PiNG the next time I see him and he'll get google to stop showing it here. YM, you're good at reminding me of things. Please make sure I do that.

Also, please do continue to report any inappropriate advertisements such as that. A PM to an admin or a thread in the Comment/Suggestions forum should do the trick. Speaking of which, this thread should be there.

I'll look into alternate advertising services and see if I can find anything that works for us and PiNG. I know ffxiah has changed ad networks recently due to intrusive ads and the recent panic about malicious scripts. Maybe I'll find out what they've gone to and see if it's a good solution for us.
                        The part I've bolded I find ironic, but I guess it's because you don't know me personally: my own memory sucks as well. I forget things and lose other things on a regular basis. Every time somebody asks me to remind them of something, the first thing that goes off in my head is "well, why don't you remind me to remind you?!"

Still, the fact that you said that I'm "good at reminding you of things" made me do a double-take at first, and then a , finally resulting in a .

Well, I'll try, anyway.

As for the part I've underlined, I personally think it's a great idea, and I was actually wondering why it hadn't been done sooner.
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                        X