Deeper Ignore user functions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Ignore user functions?

Users seem more restless due to site traffic increase as of late, which brings in different users with differing mentalities and an eventual clash. The problem is on both sides, though. Some established users seem to make just as much of a fuss as the new ones.

I've put a few people on ignore and two of the three seem pretty easy to ignore since they're just the garden-variety troll. Seems the third one is rather obsessed with specific users.

No need to name names, we all know to whom I'm referring.

Anyway, he is indeed on my ignore list, but its difficult to ignore what's said when they're quoted by other users and you can see what was posted as plain as day. Sure, its possible to overlook the comment, but its kinda goading that you can put somone on ignore and they're not filtered out completely. If I don't care for somone or their opinions and have the option to ignore them, it should be 100%.

I'm sure he'll have something to say on the matter, I'm just gonna make it a point to think of him as the garden-variety troll and ignore him entirely. Seems to work for the other two on my list. I encourage him to find the self control to ignore me and other users he's fixated on as well.

Still, it might be worth considering deepening the ignore function a bit for the sake of other uses as well as younger ones. Its kind of a pointless to have an ignore user feature if you can still see what's said.

Re: Deeper Ignore user functions?

agreed
    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

... Geez.

I'd say it's a good character building exercise to toughen yourself mentally, and guard your own impulse to flame (back). Better, yet, find your chartable self within, and learn to see the good in these people you are referring to here. >_>
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I tried the ignore feature, but it's not worth using, as other people will seem to have conversations with them, and in the end you'll just end up clicking the button to see what they posted anyways.

It's a bulletin board, everyone has their own opinions. If they hate you, it's their opinion. Soon your ignoring 1 person, then 2, then 3, then the whole community, and it turns out that YOU are the person you have a problem with. Not the rest of the community.

I will admit I DID ignore you Omgwtfbbqkitten. You were the only person I had set in my ignore list, but I took it off. Why were you on there? Not sure, I'm over it now. Why your off? You still contribute into the community. You still deserve to be heard no matter how different your opinion was of mine.

I just wish there was a BLOCK SIGNATURE button. Someone's signature here is kinda unwork safe. You know who you are :p
        Hacked on 9/9/09
        FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
          ... Geez.

I'd say it's a good character building exercise to toughen yourself mentally, and guard your own impulse to flame (back). Better, yet, find your chartable self within, and learn to see the good in these people you are referring to here. >_>
          Doesn't help that mood swings are part of my medical problems right now, kinda compounds things. Better to just ignore I think.

Comment

I second the motion to be able to turn off Signatures. The colorful, and BIG Sigs seem to take up most of the posts, instead of the content of the post. I do enjoy looking at and reading some of them, but it would be kool to have a choice.
            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

In your User Control Panel, on the left hand side is a bunch of clickables. Click on "Edit Options" and scroll down, there is a check box for "Show Signatures" "Show Avatars" and one other item that I overlooked, but uncheck any of those boxes and your signature problem is taken care of.
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                In your User Control Panel, on the left hand side is a bunch of clickables. Click on "Edit Options" and scroll down, there is a check box for "Show Signatures" "Show Avatars" and one other item that I overlooked, but uncheck any of those boxes and your signature problem is taken care of.
                Well some signatures are ok with me.
                it's the one about keep the beach full of girls in bikini that make it NSFW.
                It does show a scantally clad woman in full blossuming boobies.
                Hacked on 9/9/09
                FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Simple workaround for that, if you use Firefox and AdBlock, right click the image and select "AdBlock image...", or something to that effect. Click that, and it should always block that image.

If you don't use firefox and adblock, you should!

Comment

I dunno about anyone else, but I have a built in Ignore function. You are not required to read every post in a Thread. If you know someone irritates you, skip their post.
                    FFXIV Balmung Server
                    Tenro Matashi
                    PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Thank you so much Aksannyi, it makes reading the posts so most easier with those turned off.
                      "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Wait... there's an ignore function?
                        Originally posted by Ellipses
                        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                        Originally posted by MCLV
                        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                        More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                          ... Geez.
                          exactly. I have never seen the logic of using ignore lists on forums, but then again I'm usually pretty laid back.

as far as expanding the ignore feature, I don't know how easy or possible it is to take it as far as you'd like. then again, I'm not an expert on vbb or anything.

on a funny, slightly related note, at one of my other forums we have a feature called global ignore. it can only be invoked by the admin for the really bad trolls. essentially it makes a user's posts invisible to everyone but themselves.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Working...
                          X