Disappearing line breaks, missing [code]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing line breaks, missing [code]

When I preview or edit a post, all the double line breaks are removed. This:

"The solution to the question is simple:

width x height

Any other answer is trivial."

becomes this:

"The solution to the question is simple:
    width x height
    Any other answer is trivial."

Also, the [code] vB tag no longer works.

The combination of these two problems makes data-heavy posts like this one virtually impossible to create or maintain. If I were to attempt to update said post, I would have to manually find and reinsert over 30 line breaks.

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Re: Disappearing line breaks, missing [code]

I don't have the blank line removal problem with edit, only with preview and "go advanced". Mostly, I'm using Firefox 2.0 as my browser.

The workaround is to copy and paste the content into a text editor before hitting preview, and edit for correctly in the text editor, then paste back into the text field in the page.

(BTW, it's not a double linebreak removal; it eats lines containing only white-space characters as well, I think.)

For problem with code, you can use Courier as your font, since it's mono-spaced. That is, unless you are actually posting code with [ tag ] thingies in them...
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I've had the problem with disappearing line breaks, too. It doesn't always happen, though. For at least a couple of my much-editted-and-formatted posts (I was adding data as I came across it) I gave up trying to put blank lines and just put a period there so that line would have something in it and it wouldn't be removed.

I'd love to get [ code ] back, too. Putting it in Courier font only doesn't solve the problem.

Element Strong To Weak To
      ------------------------------------
      Fire Ice Water
      Earth Lightning Wind
      Water Fire Lightning

Element . . Strong To . . . .Weak To
      ------------------------------------
      Fire . . . . . Ice . . . . . .Water
      Earth . . . Lightning . . . . Wind
      Water . . . . Fire . . . . .Lightning

Without the periods, my nice table squishes down to confusion.
      It's really cumbersome(but doable) to have to put in marks just to make a table.

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Edit:
        Nevermind. I see what's going on with spaces. lol. Yeah, [ code ] would be very nice.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Well, if you're going to put [code] tags back in, I must stress that the old [code] tags did not work very well and that the following translations should be in place:

1. " " Translates to "&npsp;" (all spaces are non-breaking spaces, HTML naturally compresses whitespace to a single space)
          2. Tab characters need to translate to a fixed width block of non-breaking spaces say, the standard, 8  .

Comment

Yeah, I've been having the same problems. Given my overly-verbose nature, I sometimes will try go back and make something less wordy only to having it collapse into what I hate: The Dreaded Wall of Text.

It is a real pain to go back and insert all the spaces.

Andother problem I've found is when I bullet and indent something as I did here, all indents no longer function after an edit.

Comment

Working...
            X