Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Reciept?

A. Why request it

B. Is it normal for attempting to confim to crash one's computer.

C. What's the history (if anyone knows it) why this feature is present?

If this isn't in the right forum, sorry.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
    If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
    *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Re: Read Reciept?

I've never had a read reciept crash my PC. It might be something on your end.

Comment

What even is a read reciept o.O
      ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
      PM8-4: (Aka Finished): Dawn, ZM17 (Aka Finished): Awakening, Windurst 8-1: Vain
      RDM66/SMN25
      *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

I think most people request one here because it's the default and they just click "OK" without reading.

They've never crashed my PC regardless.

It's a feature that's been popular in email clients for a while now. Handy in business situations where it actually is important to know if someone has read an email you sent them. Rude and invasive everywhere else.

Fayttt: Generally it's a way for a messaging client of some sort to let a message sender know that a message recipient has read their message. The PM system here supports them.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Fayttt
          What even is a read reciept o.O
          When sending private messages via the system here, you have the option of requesting a read reciept so you know that the person on the other end has read it, even if they haven't responded.

Comment

Ah, okay that makes sense.
            ~~Fayttt of Diabolos
            PM8-4: (Aka Finished): Dawn, ZM17 (Aka Finished): Awakening, Windurst 8-1: Vain
            RDM66/SMN25
            *~*~*Cloudy*~*~*

Comment

I generally request a read reciept if it's actually important to me to know that they've read the message, but the message doesn't contain anything I'd expect them to reply to. Saves them from sending back a message that says "ok" basically.
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Irisjir Callard
                A. Why request it
                B. Is it normal for attempting to confim to crash one's computer.
                C. What's the history (if anyone knows it) why this feature is present?
                If this isn't in the right forum, sorry.
                A. In business situations some find it useful as a rudementry method for collaboration. Outside of business it's useful for acouple things.
                First, if you're spammer generating "random" names, it's useful for knowing you've found a real address with a warm body behind it.
                If you're more nefarious, it's a quick way to identify Outlook and Outlook express clients.

B. No. Did you just add something like Spambayes or PGP plugliln to your mail client? If so, you might want to un/re-install th plugin.

C. It's been around for ages. I believe the initial incarnation was the notary mechanism detailed in RFC1891 -- where one could request a delivery receipt (that is, your mail made it to the remote server). Doing a quick perusal of relevant RFCs, It looks like the first official "read receipt" was defined in RFC 2298 (Message Disposition Notifications) back in 1998.

[EDIT]

Bleh ... For some reason I thought this was in off-topics, and was a request for information about generic e-mail protocol, not about the site's PM feature. Sorry
                Last edited by Gentoo; 06-22-2006, 03:17 PM.

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

Originally posted by Gentoo
                  A. In business situations some find it useful as a rudementry method for collaboration. Outside of business it's useful for acouple things.
                  First, if you're spammer generating "random" names, it's useful for knowing you've found a real address with a warm body behind it.
                  If you're more nefarious, it's a quick way to identify Outlook and Outlook express clients.

B. No. Did you just add something like Spambayes or PGP plugliln to your mail client? If so, you might want to un/re-install th plugin.

C. It's been around for ages. I believe the initial incarnation was the notary mechanism detailed in RFC1891 -- where one could request a delivery receipt (that is, your mail made it to the remote server). Doing a quick perusal of relevant RFCs, It looks like the first official "read receipt" was defined in RFC 2298 (Message Disposition Notifications) back in 1998.

[EDIT]

Bleh ... For some reason I thought this was in off-topics, and was a request for information about generic e-mail protocol, not about the site's PM feature. Sorry
                  It's ok, I didn't make it clear in my first post.

I didn't know they existed in e-mail as well.

Every previous internet forum I've been on has had four message boxes....Inbox, outbox, savebox, and sentbox. Inbox and savebox are PMs you recieved and are either awaiting saving or deleting, and outbox and sentbox held PMs you had sent out recently. Outbox holds unread messages, sentbox holds read messages.

~~~~~~~~~~~
                  One very nifty system even had a box for deleted messages (until the server overwrote them, which was kinda random) and would allow you to edit the contents of unread messages in the Outbox.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~

Regardless, here, I cannot confirm a read reciept or my computer will lock up for about forty minutes until it decides to reboot itself (or I can force a hard reboot and make it bitch at me about proper shutdown protocol).

But if it's not so important here, then I won't worry about being 'rude' by not confirming.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
                  If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
                  *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

Working...
                  X