Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Can I have an LS pearl?" (Thoughts on Linkshells)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can I have an LS pearl?" (Thoughts on Linkshells)

Seems like there has been quite a few people looking to join or return to Vana'diel lately, and have been looking for Linkshells high and low. Guess that's an sign for me to share some thoughts about LS's, and the "social" variety in particular.

Finding a Linkshell

Getting into a Linkshell is easy.

Most Linkshells are small (per every Vana'diel Census), and many would be glad to take all comers. Posting on forums, or even shouting in-game would likely result in multiple offers for pearls.

The trouble is, taking in everyone makes for an unstable LS. The larger and faster it grows, the more likely it will fall apart in short order--the randomness of giving a pearl to everyone who asks (or who didn't even ask) just worsens things.

One's best bet is to make what friends one can with people in that kind of LS, and hang on tight to those dear friends if and when the LS implodes. Who knows, there just may be good fortune enough to see such an LS mature into a stable, long lasting groups of friends.

How does one get into the "better" LS, though? That's done by improving one's current LS--make it that "better LS". Even if it fails, by doing so, one would make friends who would want to form that better LS with, or invite one to a good LS if they land in one.

{Long Time} Social Linkshell

To purposely create a stable social LS takes time, good people, and not a small amount of luck. It is sometimes very difficult to strike the proper balance between being free and lay back like the ideal social LS, and having large activities with lot's of participants to cement group cohesion, and wanting to grow, and needing to make sure no bad apple gets into the barrel.

As I am in a relatively stable LS (over an year, so far, and has been growing steadily), my perspectives may shed some light on the subject.

Growing an Linkshell

Growing and maintaining an LS is an organic process, and is hard to predict what path it would take and what it would take to put it on the right path. For my part, I do what I can to welcome and appreciate everyone who joins, and hope in return many would want to stay and contribute to the good little LS we have. And, by those contributions (or lack of them), the Linkshell changes and evolves.

As an example, a somewhat tongue in cheek description of our LS's beginning:
    Unofficial History of the Blue LS

By the way, a Linkshell belongs to every member. It doesn't just mean that the LS needs to bend over backwards to accomdate every member's every need and preference--what it really implies is that every member is responsible for making the LS a better place to be.

New Members

For our LS, the balance on taking in new people is this: Letting in everyone is too random, though we don't really have anything against odd or even normal people. Yet, making people write applications detailing all their jobs and mission status and accomplishments then pick "good looking" ones seems... cold.

Instead, we operate under invitation-sponsorship. You can be invited as Lv.1 or Lv.75, as long as you're a friend of an LS member who is willing to sponsor you, and put up a post on the forum to let everyone know what kind of person you are--and promises to keep you from stepping on toes of others.

Then, there's a vote and comments by LS members on the invitation. (Using the word "vote" loosely; I think only one person was ever rejected--and, that was because the sponsor didn't know him well.) Once enough people has voted/expressed opinions, an invitation is set.

So, in that manner, we are a mostly "closed" LS, under which the pearlsack holders do not hand out pearls, unless we have an invitation from our membership to a friend of someone already in the LS. (Note: The distinction between "application" and "invitation" is somewhat subtle, but very important; we are inviting a new friend to join, based on the words of a current member--not screening for people most "usable" to the LS.)

Group Cohesion

Doing things together unites the group (mostly, unless there's bickering). An LS which does not do things together will fall apart, so LS "leaders" (with or without pearlsacks) have to step up and, well, make things happen.

Our LS probably doesn't do much which is different from others: we have several static exp parties, a rotating Tuesday merit session, mission runs (e.g. CoP for nearly everyone--10 people passed CoP 5.3 Mithra Tracker fight last night. ^_^v ), quests (hi to you, WSNM's), BCNM/KSNM, and even NM camping (e.g. Assault Jerkin), and etc.

It almost doesn't matter which activities, as long as they are reasonably often and allow many different people to participate. Plan events which people want to come, and try to have different things at different hours. This way, people get to do things together with many others in the LS, and not just those closest to them.

Freedom

If you love something, set it free. Should it love you as well, it will return soon enough.

Our formal "Membership Rules", in their entirety:
    1. Be friendly and respect each other. Please refrain from making rude comments at other people. If you have a problem with another member, please try to settle your differences maturely, via {/tell}s or PM's.
    2. There is no rule for "making this your main LS"; you're welcomed to come in, switch to other LS, etc. as frequently as you like, and stay in any LS as much as you like.

There are LS's really strict about equipping the pearls while online, and perhaps some of them work well. That doesn't appeal to our LS, though, and IMO not suited for social Linkshells. Plus, it's not like an LS can really keep a person if s/he doesn't want to stay.

It's better to invest the effort into making the LS into something people want, rather than looking for ways to handcuff the members to their pearls.

Not sure where I'm going with this; I guess I just want to publish some personal opinions on Linkshells. Forgive my longwinded-ness.

Edit:
    Wasn't expecting this, but someone stickied this thread. o_O; Now I'm feeling all insecure, and looking to wipe out as many grammar and spelling errors as possible. >_<;;;;
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 11-26-2007, 05:30 AM. Reason: Fixed a few spelling/grammar errors. >_<;
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Re: &quot;Can I have an LS pearl?&quot; (Thoughts on Linkshells)

I am so glad you did this, we are getting a few too many of the "I'm returning to the game and need a linkshell" threads. Which isn't a bad thing but ffxionline isn't really a good place to shop for a linkshell seeing as we are only a small community.

I just always say to check out the Linkshell Community on the pol site and find a link they like the sound of that way.

Comment

I'm not against people asking for Linkshell pearls on FFXIonline, though.

However, I think many of them who obtained pearls that way would become disappointed; most small LS's are unstable, and very few people remain with the first Linkshell they join.

It takes time and contribution from every member--a concerted group effort--to make a Linkshell good and long lasting. Those looking for instant friendship and help with everything right away will likely disappoint and be disappointed.

- Mugaku

Comment

I totally agree, I don't think they shouldn't ask here but the chances of them being happy with the result are slim to none so it's really useful that you made this thread. I'm just glad everyone's finally coming back to the game! ^-^

Comment

While I'm a fan of asking on the forums (it allows you to have an extended conversation over time, and ask a lot of follow up questions), there is the downside that not every LS is represented on our (or any) forums. So that can be tricky.

Personally, I prefer an LS that has some kind of forum presence in the FFXI community. But others may not care about that, so it's really a personal thing.

I've already stated my thoughts on what makes a great LS elsewhere. But I'd like to second Itazura's comments about not expecting too much, and realizing that when you join an LS, you have to make as much as an effort as the other members in order to make it work.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the "let's vote on this member" mentality. To me, it's better to just allow the pearlsacks to invite anyone they deem worthy of being a part of the group. I've invited a few people from FFXIonline to join the LS without hardly knowing them, but they've turned out to be good members of the LS. I've also invited someone from a Dunes party (of all places) and he's been a very active member and quite fun to talk to.

We're definitely more of a social shell so rules aren't really in place. Obviously there are reasons to kick people (I suppose) though we haven't had to. And we try to do events together, though we are "rebuilding" after the exodus of a few members a couple months ago. Our main goal is to have fun, and we do. I've met quite a few people who are now friends outside the LS situation; people I would chat with in /tell or on POL messages. I've been very lucky in that respect.

For a social shell, the main goal should be to have fun. If someone is impeding everyone else's fun and/or progress, then he's not a good addition to the group. Much like a party.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Myself, I've yet to find a nice active social LS to hang out in from time to time. I did have one that was quasi-active, but as the members leveled they went and joined endgame shells and didn't return. I do have about 8 socials that friends have started, and I log into them just to be alone or have a one on one chat with a buddy without /tells.

Before joining my current endgame/social LS I was in a number of shells and really tried to help things grow. But it seems there was a correlition between me spending more time in my endgame shell and members leaving from the social. I have suspicions that most were there just to get help with what they could and move on to greener pastures when thier well of help dried up.

It's really a shame, I've yet to do things garrison or any BCNM below level 60 because the socials I had were diminuative in nature. Who knows, maybe I'll find one eventually that I'll enjoy. I do get invited to a number of them, but I think it's typically just that they want a higher level person there to help with things. I enjoy helping, but I don't need more request than I currently have :x

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                I'm not a fan of the "let's vote on this member" mentality. To me, it's better to just allow the pearlsacks to invite anyone they deem worthy of being a part of the group.
                Well, I guess we tend to view the Linkshell as something which belongs to all members. Any major decision--adding a new member would be one--should have everyone informed and given a chance for input.

It doesn't make for fast decision making, but we like the spirit of inclusiveness. ^_^; YMMV.

I've invited a few people from FFXIonline to join the LS without hardly knowing them, but they've turned out to be good members of the LS. I've also invited someone from a Dunes party (of all places) and he's been a very active member and quite fun to talk to.
                Glad things worked out for you. ^_^

And we try to do events together, though we are "rebuilding" after the exodus of a few members a couple months ago.
                I want to avoid "rebuilding" as much as possible. ^_^; Much better to head off problems before they enter the LS.

- Mugaku

Comment

Well what happened was that a few of us - my husband and I, for starters - didn't have game access for a few weeks. Payment outage, so to speak. As the expiration date on my credit card changed, and I waited for the new one, we couldn't play, basically. Apparently, others were very busy during this time period so other regular members figured we were breaking up and they left.

I came back, there was hardly anyone left, so I started recruiting new members. Some of the previous "defectors" have come back now that they know our LS wasn't breaking. It was just bad timing I suppose.
                  sigpic
                  ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                  ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                  ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                  ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
                  X