Steam Summer Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Summer Sale

So I didn't get a PC capable of any amount of gaming until pretty much this time last year, and only recently have I been making use of steam much at all. I have of course gone relatively heavy into this sale already; so far I've picked up

Papers, Please, because I masturbate to soulless bureaucracy

Skyrim. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Looking forward to it.

Ikaruga.

Black Mesa, HL2 and the episodes. I've been holding off on getting into Half Life for a long time so I could go with Black Mesa instead of the original, and now they're at insanely good prices. I probably should've gotten the orange box for about the same price to add portal, but I've played Narbacular Drop and seen enough playthroughs of Portal that it would essentially be an action game.

Also probably going to pick up Mirror's Edge and Burnout: Paradise.

Re: Steam Summer Sale

Picked up Papers, Please yesterday as it was a daily deal.

Bullet hell fans should definitely keep an eye on Ikaruga, but also take note that Jamestown and QP Shooting - Dangerous!! are also on varying degrees of sale.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

I've run out of things to buy on Steam. Mostly because I have a huge backlog and dwindling free time, but also because there hasn't been much that piques my interest as of late. Anyone got recommendations for things I need to play?
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Cities: Skylines, if you haven't. Say farewell to the rest of your backlog, though.

Comment

Cities Skyline is a decent game but it's far from the be all and end all of city builders that people scream it is. It's less a simulation and more a sandbox game really. Everything is very basic and umbed down compared to Simcity and the placement of your service buildings does not matter one bit. I've put all of my schools, police stations and hospitals in one place and they still serviced the entire city somehow.

As for Steam Summer Sales, you only EVER buy on the last day of the sale. Discounts stay active the whole sale. The only time you buy early is if something is in a Flash Sale. Daily deals tend to be a con as they are either discounted for that amount anyway or will appear in a later Flash Sale.
          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
          Reiko Takahashi
          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

There's always hard mode, and I'm sure as time goes on there will be more mods that focus on difficulty (tons of people want disasters, Traffic++ devs are thinking about crashes, some bug fixes will also raise the difficulty) rather than creativity. That said, this is sort of like criticizing legos for not providing enough of a challenge. Beyond that, service placement does matter; although the balancing doesn't tend to be an issue until later. Keeping your traffic in check is critical to having services work as you develop larger cities. I haven't played Simcity since 4, but Cities does definitely take more time to get up to the point where you can destroy huge swaths of your city by getting reckless (which I have done). Not sure how long you've played or how large you've built your cities, but it's very easy to shoot yourself in the foot still.

Comment

Working...
            X