FireFall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireFall

Reminds me of PSO2 for obvious reasons but the problem with PSO is there's little freedom in the game world. FireFall on the other hand feels like a very solid sandbox MMOG, which I'm liking so far. Plus it'll be F2P.

PS > I'm sure I already had a thread about this game, but I guess the forum monster ate it. XD

Edit > Some things worth noting.

- One character can equip different BattleFrames (classes) so you can switch and lvl different frames XI job style.
    - Customization is pretty open with tons of unlockable skills.
    - Cooperative quests that automatically team you up with people doing the same quest as you, encouraging players to cooperate with others because it makes things easier for everyone.
    - First person or 3rd person gameplay which seems to work great either way.
    Last edited by Raydeus; 11-21-2012, 10:51 PM.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Re: FireFall

Looks like Borderlands 2.
    Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

Originally posted by Melody View Post
      Looks like what Borderlands 2 would be if it was 10 times better than it actually is.
      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Just finished playing FireFall Beta, it was fun and we managed to retain control of our outpost with wave after wave of chosen trying to take over as the final event. XD

I'll probably get the 20 bucks founder thing to support of the game and because it's cheap, but since it's beta content is still very limited and there's a metric ton of stuff that's incomplete. Still very fun to play so I'm looking forward to seeing just how much content they add to the open world.

Only sad part is I was so busy having fun that I forgot to take pics. <_<;

But the game looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

And time to talk about the game itself.

There's no leveling in this game and the gameplay is first and foremost that of a FPS game like Fallout or Borderlands. Which is surprisingly responsive, you wont notice it's an online game at all, response times and everything about the combat feels exactly the same as when you play a single player game, which is awesome. You get xp for killing enemies or assisting as long as you are in range, if not you only get xp if you get the kill (Recon, a.k.a. sniper gets bonus xp for head shots), this xp is used as currency to purchase upgrades that unlock in a tree like fashion. With abilities you purchase enabling you to buy further upgrades. And you are limited about the upgrades you can equip by your suit's CPU, Weight limit and Power stats. Which is very similar to the way EVE handles ship upgrades.

Assault Battleframe Skill tree:

Now, here's the thing about upgrades, just because an upgrade is further on the tree it doesn't mean it's better than the ones you got first. It all solely depends on your gameplay, and different versions of the same type of upgrade are scattered all over the upgrade tree for your Battlesuit. And they are exclusive of that battlesuit, so the wont carry over if you get a Tier II or III suit afterwards, you'll have to unlock abilities on those from zero. This means your new suit will definitely be weaker at first than your old one, what changes is the new suit will have more Power, CPU and Weight capacity, allowing you to equip more abilities while giving you more room to mix equipment. Also, from Tier II you get the ability to Print equipment (craft) using resources you collect while playing the game.

These resources are minerals you find on enemies or that you can mine using a Thumper, which is a very loud and fun drill which attracts mobs from all around the place. The type of mob depends on the area you are mining and you have to protect the Thumper until it finishes, or you can send it back before it hits 100% capacity if you are in trouble, but it wont give you as many resources then. There are currently 3 grades of Thumpers, each attracting nastier stuff but also giving you more resources.

After you get enough resources (500 for Tier II equipment) you can craft custom parts of some of the upgrades you unlock. And the attributes will vary depending on the mineral you use. Some will give you a hefty damage and/or rate of fire boost while others will give you more accuracy and ammo capacity or a mixture of any for weapons. And every piece of equipment you craft will be affected like this. Minerals also affect P/W/CPU requirements so you have to be careful not to go over the limit or you wont be able to equip your new gear.

But no matter how good your gear is your skill makes the most difference, since this is an open world FPS all the tactics you have and how you use the terrain will account more than having the best gear. Because no matter how advanced you are you are still very fragile for the most part so good use of your limited resources will get you a long way. Still while the Chosen do pose a real thread because they are as strong as other players and usually attack in big number (plus the AI is very decent when it comes to taking cover and flanking you or getting you out if you try to stay behind cover for too long), their advances are predictable for the most part so with a little experience you can dispatch and entire patrol using their tactics against them if you are protecting an outpost or trying to destroy a Chosen pod (transport that continually spawns chosen unless destroyed) or an encampment. Not to mention in beta there's only 2 types of chose soldier (the equivalents to tank and assault battleframes) plus their Starship Trooper-ish spider pets. So I can imagine how tough they could be if they get more support types in their units.

Overall it was a very fun game to play and I'm looking forward to seeing more content being added and more stuff to make the world even more dynamic than it already is.
        sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Random pics of the day.

This place is called Fortaleza Antigua

And some random flowers I saw just before pwning a few Chosen.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Nice pics. I wanna play this game
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

You should sign up for Beta, they are having Beta weekends every week for stress testing. And things can get wild sometimes even though it's still missing a metric ton of cotent.

Firefall Site.
              Last edited by Raydeus; 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM.
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I just keep finding new stuff exploring the game, there's even a place called Colossal Remains with a big hand-like rock formation in it, which I'm still looking for info about.

And more random pics.

Thumping for fish.

And the TransHub.

sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I like the way this looks. I might just sign up for the Beta.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                  99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                  99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

One of the things that stands out is the sound, for some reason it just feels right to me. Weapons, footsteps, reload effects and specially Thumping and hammer-scanning, it just brings this solid feeling to it. I like a lot.

Also been thinking about making a short video of Eng. and Assault combat (a.k.a. me trolling Chosen) just for the lulz.
                    sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I just made a very quick video to test how much quality is lost when uploading to YouTube @1080p. The answer? A LOT.

In other news Lightworks can't be fooled to work with Lagarith codecs anymore so files get pretty big even after compressing them.

This short video ended up being 10GB of size (60MB once encoded MKV) which is kinda too much for my taste. So I'd probably need to find another cheap editing program before doing anything more serious with FRAPS footage. <_<;
                      sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Uncompressed video takes up a HUGE amount of space. It is done like that because recording while compressing hogs a ton of system resources that would grind a lot of machines to a halt. I know for a fact that recording about a few minutes of Minecraft will take up 3GB

If you want to do a lot of recording, consider grabbing an external HDD.
                        Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                        Reiko Takahashi
                        - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

My problem really isn't the capture itself, I use a separate 500GB disk for capture because you consume around 2GB per minute @1080p with fraps, so a 30 min video of 60+ GB is pretty standard.

The problem is when you export it after you make the edit, if you don't use a good lossless codec (like Lagarith) your resulting file can go up to 150GB even if the original file was much smaller. Only good thing is once you encode the file (MKV) it ends up much smaller. But the intermediate step is what can really hurt because it also takes a longer rendering time. >_<

For this video it went like this:

1) I started with 3 clips of around 1GB each, or 3GB.
                          2) After editing the clips together the final render ended up being 10.8GB. <_<;
                          3) After encoding to MKV the final file for uploading to YouTube was 60MB.

Also consider this was for a 1:30 min video. So in it's current state it's taking 40MB per minute @1080p. If I could've used Lagarith the final file would've probably be 30-40MB for the 1:30 and with the same quality. orz
                          Last edited by Raydeus; 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM.
                          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                          X