Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam for Linux right around the corner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam for Linux right around the corner?

There had been hints and screenshots back in April, but nothing official. Valve started an official Steam for Linux blog today that confirmed they've got a mostly-functional Steam client running and that their current goal is to get L4D2 running on Ubuntu 12.04 as well as it does on Windows. Considering Ubuntu 12.10 comes out in 3 months, we might be seeing Steam on Linux very soon.

Since there's already plenty of Steam games that have Linux ports (e.g. Humble Indie Bundle games), I wonder how long it'll be 'til the Linux Steam client boasts a decent library of games?
    Last edited by Armando; 07-17-2012, 02:57 AM.

Re: Steam for Linux right around the corner?

"* for Linux" is always right around the corner.

And this is coming from someone who has used ubuntu exclusively for over half a decade now.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post

I wonder how long it'll be 'til the Linux Steam client boasts a decent library of games?

fixed it

Comment

Gamasutra - News - Why one free software pioneer takes issue with Steam on Linux

An argument against Steam distribution for Linux ...

"If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having non-free programs on your computer. That much is clear."
        - GNU Project founder Richard Stallman voices his concerns about the implications of putting Steam on the open Linux platform.

Just last week, Valve announced that it's looking to bring its popular Steam distribution service to Linux, noting that adding games to the operating system could boost its adoption in the long term.

But for Stallman, adoption is only one piece of the puzzle. He'd love to see more people use GNU/Linux, but he doesn't want to compromise the spirit of the platform.

"I suppose that availability of popular non-free programs on GNU/Linux can boost adoption of the system. However, our goal goes beyond making this system a 'success'; its purpose is to bring freedom to the users. Thus, the question is how this development affects users' freedom."

It's not a debate we often see in the game industry, but does Stallman have a point? Is it wrong to bring a commercial platform to an operating system that encourages free and open source software?
        Just for clarification...

The argument isn't about whether or not the software costs nothing to the consumer (in the form of a price) but the fact that it is tethered to a service and thereby tying consumers down to that service and that service alone in order to make use of the purchased software.

I think a lot of blind pushback against Stallman has been a result of many people not quite understanding how Steam works...
        Last edited by Aeni; 08-03-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

If Stallman represents Free Software, EA represents the video game industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            If Stallman represents Free Software, EA represents the video game industry.
            I edited my post to provide clarification for just this kind of comment ... I'm not saying you should take Stallman's words as the Gospel, but it does open up a frank and honest discussion on the subject rather than just blind faith.

Comment

No, I'm not misunderstanding Stallman. He's opposed to ALL non-free software, not Steam specifically on some case-by-case basis.

Comment

I think a lot of blind pushback against Stallman has been a result of many people not quite understanding how Steam works...
                Like Feba said, Stallman is well-known for his inability to compromise when it comes to free/open source software. Linus Torvalds is far more practical and will gladly use a closed source application if it's the best tool for the job.

I think it's moot anyways because while Steam ties your game to its platform, Valve doesn't stop developers from releasing their game elsewhere, or giving away the code. The only reason I have Cave Story+ and Jamestown in my Steam library is because the Humble Indie Bundle gave me Steam keys to go with my DRM-free copies. I think their "no DRM, buy once get all versions free" policy is far more important than the game being open source. When it comes to games, what really hurts is having to buy the same game over and over again because of re-releases on newer platforms.

Comment

I think it's moot anyways because while Steam ties your game to its platform, Valve doesn't stop developers from releasing their game elsewhere, or giving away the code. The only reason I have Cave Story+ and Jamestown in my Steam library is because the Humble Indie Bundle gave me Steam keys to go with my DRM-free copies. I think their "no DRM, buy once get all versions free" policy is far more important than the game being open source. When it comes to games, what really hurts is having to buy the same game over and over again because of re-releases on newer platforms.
                  My only issue is that AAA titles seem to be on a different kind of contractual agreement with Steam. For example, if I wanted to load Total War w/o Steam client, I'd have to do it illegally as Steam won't let me do so (the game and the client/system is tightly integrated - you even find Steam ads popping up in the game start screen) I would have to actually buy a physical copy (or maybe download it through Amazon.com) to be relatively free in however I choose to play the game.

And yes, having the game independent of Steam let's me play it ... it's nearly unplayable otherwise. I'm sure the fault lies with the developers and not Valve, but who knows ... you can never tell which side is at fault or how much they are responsible for problems that plague individual players.

Comment

Beta test starting soon. Anyone interested can apply here Valve Linux Beta Survey

Comment

Actually the only reason I use Windows is due to the games library. If Steam can get a decent library of games for Linux then I'd be more than happy to make to hop to Ubuntu.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Actually the only reason I use Windows is due to the games library. If Steam can get a decent library of games for Linux then I'd be more than happy to make to hop to Ubuntu.
                        Same here, plus streaming because no one wants to make a decent streaming program for Linux.

Right now they've only got L4D2 running. They've pointed out on their blog that a lot of the work they're doing right now will be applicable to their other games, so hopefully once the Steam client comes out of beta it won't take as long for them to port the other Source games. I'm guessing games that already had Linux ports won't take long to show up either (or you could just add them as non-Steam games like on Windows.) What I'm really hoping for is that this motivates more devs to release Linux ports in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                          Lucky you ... I need Windows due to work (tight integration with .Net applications)

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, plus streaming because no one wants to make a decent streaming program for Linux.

Right now they've only got L4D2 running. They've pointed out on their blog that a lot of the work they're doing right now will be applicable to their other games, so hopefully once the Steam client comes out of beta it won't take as long for them to port the other Source games. I'm guessing games that already had Linux ports won't take long to show up either (or you could just add them as non-Steam games like on Windows.) What I'm really hoping for is that this motivates more devs to release Linux ports in the future.
                          Part of the reason that the library will remain small for the Linux edition is because most of the games were developed in a Windows environment and most game developers don't have enough "monetary" incentives to do a port or a re-release from scratch. Due to the nature of Linux, I find it almost difficult to believe that there exists enough monetary incentives to lure away big name titles. Some PR, sure, but most of the titles will be from indie sources and people who do it for fun/hobby.

Comment

So, Steam for Linux is out of Beta

30 out of my 111 games made it. Not all the Humble Bundle games have become available yet (e.g. Super Meat Boy, Jamestown, Dustforce) so hopefully my library will grow even more. I can just use the native installers in the meantime.

Also, if you log into TF2 from Linux before March 1, you get a Tux item for your character.

Between this and the recent unofficial Netflix app, my reasons for logging into Windows have gone down dramatically.
                            Last edited by Armando; 02-27-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X