What was your favorite Boss Fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your favorite Boss Fight?

Of any game you've ever played, what was your favorite Epic Boss Battle? NMs in FFXI count towards this as well.

Your reasons don't need to be complicated. Anything from " _______ , because it was the hardest EVAR!" to " _______ , because he looks cool as hell... even though he was a chump".

Mine is personally a 3 way tie.

1. Sniper Wolf - Metal Gear Solid
    Her story was amazing and the game made you pity her, love her and hate her all at the same time. As for the fights you have with her, they made you think and caught you off guard on the first play through.
    (I'm not adding Psycho Mantis... because making him INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT without the trick would have been enough. Making him INVINCIBLE wasn't a funny joke at all)

2. The final Gafgarion Fight - Final Fantasy Tactics
    The dude was a dick... plain and simple. You envy him for the skills he has access to... and the cheap-ass way his class is built to fuck you over at every turn. The final Fight that pits Ramza 1 on 1 with him in the Keep was both awesome and aggravating all at once... but finally beating it gave me the feeling of "BOOYA! SUCK IT TRAITOR!!!".
    (Not adding the final Wiegraf fight. Without advanced warning, charging into the 3-in-a-row battles that lead you to him suckers you into a nearly impossible to win fight without the option of returning to the world map once you've saved inside. Due to the jobs I picked to work on for Ramza during my first play-through, I wound up having to backtrack about 6 hours of play time to a previous save file... because the fight was unwinnable.)

3. Albel Knox - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    You fight him a few times... nothing terribly special... I just really enjoy the battle style they gave him in that game... and it's fun as hell to fight him 1 on 1.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Re: What was your favorite Boss Fight?

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post

2. The final Gafgarion Fight - Final Fantasy Tactics
    The dude was a dick... plain and simple. You envy him for the skills he has access to... and the cheap-ass way his class is built to fuck you over at every turn. The final Fight that pits Ramza 1 on 1 with him in the Keep was both awesome and aggravating all at once... but finally beating it gave me the feeling of "BOOYA! SUCK IT TRAITOR!!!".
    (Not adding the final Wiegraf fight. Without advanced warning, charging into the 3-in-a-row battles that lead you to him suckers you into a nearly impossible to win fight without the option of returning to the world map once you've saved inside. Due to the jobs I picked to work on for Ramza during my first play-through, I wound up having to backtrack about 6 hours of play time to a previous save file... because the fight was unwinnable.) .

.... You serious? That was the easist fight in the game, and he was weak as hell compared to the other bosses...

Comment

To me, it was more of a climax to Gafgarion's story. As the plot progresses, you fight him over and over and you hate him more and more. Keeping the door to the keep shut and giving Ramza the satisfaction of killing him solo gave me a sick sense of amusement.

Watching him turn into a crystal in the end was just... satisfying.

Comment

I'll think of many more, but the first fights that came to mind were:

1 - Promathia, FFXI - Fighting a god alongside Prishe. Pretty much the definition of heaven for me.
        2 - Alexander, FFXI - (Tank) This fight alone made it worth leveling PLD all the way to 75.
        3 - Shadow Lord - FFXI (Solo) Funnest fight evar, I wish SE would stop being stupid and allowed people to replay missions BCs already.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
          I'll think of many more, but the first fights that came to mind were:

1 - Promathia, FFXI - Fighting a god alongside Prishe. Pretty much the definition of heaven for me.
          2 - Alexander, FFXI - (Tank) This fight alone made it worth leveling PLD all the way to 75.
          3 - Shadow Lord - FFXI (Solo) Funnest fight evar, I wish SE would stop being stupid and allowed people to replay missions BCs already.
          I agree with the Shadow Lord fight. :D

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
          To me, it was more of a climax to Gafgarion's story. As the plot progresses, you fight him over and over and you hate him more and more. Keeping the door to the keep shut and giving Ramza the satisfaction of killing him solo gave me a sick sense of amusement.

Watching him turn into a crystal in the end was just... satisfying.
          Ok, I can see where you are coming from. lol

Comment

One of the boss fights I liked the most was Old King Alant in Demon's Souls. The stage before him is epic, and he's not a difficult fight but he really keeps you moving.

Another is Smough and Ornstein in Dark Souls. You face them both at the same time, then when one is defeated the other absorbs his power and grows in size. It's an epically long fight, with a lot of teamwork involved. It's even more satisfying once you complete it because of two things: the one-hit killer electric butt slam, and the giant boob queen who gives you a way to teleport around the game that you meet after the fight finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
              One of the boss fights I liked the most was Old King Alant in Demon's Souls.
              I completely agree. That fight was fun as hell.

Comment

In no particular order, and off the top of my head:
                * The Ghirahim rematch in Skyward Sword. I liked how the fight required you to read him and button mashing wouldn't get you very far...at least not any time soon. No video because the game is too recent.
                * The final/hidden bosses for the Mega Man ZX games. They're Nintendo Hard, pretty interesting as far as Mega Man bosses go, and are open to different strategies depending on which models you like to use:

* Mr. Sandman title defense from Punch-Out!! (Wii). This guy probably busted your ass the first time around, and he's back twice as mean. It's a real adrenaline rush.

* The final fight against Graaf in Xenogears, for the very same reason the final fight against Gafgarion is satisfying, except it's about 4 times as cathartic after 80 hours of gameplay.
                Due to the jobs I picked to work on for Ramza during my first play-through, I wound up having to backtrack about 6 hours of play time to a previous save file... because the fight was unwinnable.)
                You didn't level Squire?
                .... You serious? That was the easist fight in the game, and he was weak as hell compared to the other bosses...
                No it's not, not the first time around. Sure, it CAN be easy, but so can the rest of Final Fantasy Tactics. Weigraf CAN be easy...but it probably won't be the first time you play either.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  you didn't level squire?
                  Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly right now... but how does squire have an edge over Wiegraf in the 1on1? He always moves first and I cant close the gap to him before he can hit me with a Thunder Strike. I move again... and usually only get close enough to be at his front or side... typically land a hit and get my ass handed to me by Thunder Strike again.

My solution on subsequent playthroughs was to simply come as Lancer. I either jumped and landed in the same turn... or I jumped and stayed up while he moved... forfeiting his turn and allowing me to inch closer unharmed. Also... with the right polearm, I could typically finish him off in 2 rounds.

Comment

Armando... My first play through, normal mobs killed me, many, many times. That guy... I killed very easily. Leveled Alchemists to max so they had auto potions, and just filled my inventory with the strongest potions, and just wiped the floor with him.

For some reason... The boss fights are the easiest for me. Give me any boss, and I can kill them easily if I know how to play the game.

The only things that give me trouble are when I am mobbed in video games.

Comment

Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly right now... but how does squire have an edge over Wiegraf in the 1on1? He always moves first and I cant close the gap to him before he can hit me with a Thunder Strike. I move again... and usually only get close enough to be at his front or side... typically land a hit and get my ass handed to me by Thunder Strike again.
                      Squire beats anything 1-on-1 just by keeping away and spamming either Yell until you're fast enough to take multiple turns or Accumulate to the point that you can kill him in one blow (especially bare-handed.) Doesn't have to be done with the Squire job, you can just use a job with high Move/Speed and use Guts as your second Action ability. Monk's a good choice because H2H damage goes up exponentially with your Attack, but any job will win eventually. There are of course other strategies but that's the least common denominator since practically everyone levels Squire. The easiest way to trivialize the fight is to wear a Chameleon Robe (absorbs Holy.) Holy Sword attacks aren't actually Holy damage, but the game is bugged and Weigraf will outright refuse to use Holy Sword attacks on you with it on. Of course, that requires that knowledge and bringing the Chameleon Robe in advance. Another alternative is Autopotion, which is OP all around and is often used to deal with Gafgarion as well.

I don't really blame you for getting stuck there, all of the alternatives are cheap as fuck. I ended up resorting to the Squire thing myself 'cuz I couldn't beat him any other way the first time I tried.
                      Armando... My first play through, normal mobs killed me, many, many times. That guy... I killed very easily. Leveled Alchemists to max so they had auto potions, and just filled my inventory with the strongest potions, and just wiped the floor with him.
                      So you basically overleveled and overfarmed before the fight.

EDIT: To expand on that: random encounters level with you, story encounters don't. If you level up a lot, regular enemies will get tougher but bosses become trivial.
                      Last edited by Armando; 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Another 3:

- Metal Gear Rex VS Metal Gear Ray, MGS4.

- Most boss fights in Zone of the Enders 2 (Anubis) - I can hardly wait for the HD collection. >_<

- Stage 6, Castlevania X Chronicles - Nostalgia overload.
                        sigpic
                        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Mother Brain - Super Metroid
                          Matador - Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
                          Jeanne - No More Heroes
                          The Boss - Catherine
                          The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3
                          The End - Metal Gear Solid 3
                          Yunalesca - Final Fantasy X
                          Every Metroid Prime trilogy boss.
                          Ghirahim - Zelda Skyward Sword
                          Every Majora's Mask boss.
                          Kefka - Final Fantasy VI
                          Black Queen - Ico
                          Backwards Dragon - TES V: Skyrim
                          Cocoon - MGS Peacewalker
                          Nyx - Persona 3 (mostly for the battle theme, though)
                          Ultima/Omega Weapon - Final Fantasy XI
                          Chocobo Eater - FFX
                          Ultros - FFVI
                          Gilgamesh - Final Fantasy XII version

Comment

In no particular order here…and I think I’m dipping into most memorable oppose to favorite (sorry)

The Underwater Weapon in FFVII
                            Fuuuuk that bastard. I think in FFVII there comes a point where you can no longer get the underwater materia (the one that negates the 20:00). So in my first round though the game I passed it up and was restricted to 20 minutes. Eventually I became powerful enough to win (still with difficultly). I was quite proud of myself. Didn’t even know about the underwater material until after the fact.

Yiazmat in FFXII
                            Don’t get me wrong, I hated the thing’s HPs. The fight itself wasn’t the most fun. It was getting the right weapons and creating the perfect Gambits. To the point where I could run in, then watch…maybe make a sandwich.

Super Contra – That Stage 2 Spider…I think it was stage 2
                            It was the Top view that sold me. Totally different than what was used to. THe guy was a bitch to on the hardest setting (which makes sense). And I loved when SNES was in that phase of making things huge and come at the screen (when the spider jumps).

Secret of Mana – Thanatos
                            Don’t know why…just a very memorable fight. Wasn’t even that difficult (if you leveled Lumina). I think it was just someone I was happy to destroy

There’s more…I’ll think of them
                            99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                            -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                            -Verth (90) Completed!!
                            -Guttler (95) Completed!
                            -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                            -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                            -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Ivan Ooze Final Battle from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie game (Sega Genesis version).

... What? I was a huge fan of them as a kid. Played it all the way through the end with my best friend in co-op and we kicked his arse - just to witness the most awesome cut scene we've ever seen (at the time).

Plenty of others but that one popped into my head the quickest.
                              Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                              Originally posted by Nandito
                              Ponies.

Duh.
                              You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Working...
                              X