Sonic Generations - Sega figures out how to give everyone what they want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Generations - Sega figures out how to give everyone what they want

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUxxD1n6sw&feature=related"]YouTube - Sonic the Hedgehog: 20th Anniversary - Debut Teaser Trailer (2011) OFFICIAL | HD[/ame]

YouTube - Sonic Generations Extended gameplay footage

Sonic's 20th anniversary game. Now you can play as classic AND modern Sonic. The kicker? It's apparently not coming out for the Wii. Thanks Sega. I was hoping that after Sonic Colors they'd stop start giving the Wii some love.
    Last edited by Armando; 04-21-2011, 10:23 AM.

Re: Sonic Generations - Sega figures out how to give everyone what they want

Looks like that was a PS3 recording.

Cool beans, really love the Boost meter. I still like the full 3D and style of the 2 Adventure games best, but this is a pretty good compromise. Reminds me of Rockman X8 where Capcom combined the classic 2D with 3D segments (seems like Sonic is the last one to the party lol?)

Speaking of which where's 9 already ?

But yeah awesome gameplay. Wonder if Tails & the others will be playable ?
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Speaking of which where's 9 already ?
      Don't even go there man.
      But yeah awesome gameplay. Wonder if Tails & the others will be playable ?
      I wouldn't hold my breath. Seems Sega thinks that in order to be retro you need to leave Tails out.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really get why after putting the game on a system with an actual audience for Sonic and seemed to sell quite well on two platforms that they'd go PS3 and 360 where the audience totally hasn't been and try again.

I mean, I'm going to have a PS3 by the time its out, but its not what I'd call a home for platformers, while Sonic just feels right next to Kirby, Donkey Kong and Mario. Well, 360 does have Super Meat Boy, which is awesome, way more awesome than anything Sony has for platformers.

Maybe Sega has something for 3DS and are just waiting to announce it at E3, it would be a bit foolish for Sega to not have any plans for 3DS at least.

Comment

I wouldn't say PS3 is unfriendly to platformers, but they the majority of that kind of audience likely is on the Wii as you pointed out.

Then again, it's not like SEGA is a stranger to bad marketing. After all it only forced them right out of the console market.

Really don't understand why a title like this wouldn't be on Wii. Easy money right there. But instead they do stupid shit like this and moving Valkyria from PS3 to PSP which has a much smaller audience @_@;
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

On a note unrelated to the current discussion, seeing this trailer makes me forget just how different the old Sonic and the new Sonic looked. Until I played Sonic Heroes (terrible game), I hadn't played since Sonic 3 & Knuckles (awesome game).

The biggest turn off, to me, was the move to the cheesy J-rock driven soundtrack.
            sigpic

Comment

But instead they do stupid shit like this and moving Valkyria from PS3 to PSP which has a much smaller audience @_@;
              Pretty sure there's more PSPs than PS3s on the market.
              On a note unrelated to the current discussion, seeing this trailer makes me forget just how different the old Sonic and the new Sonic looked.
              Yeah. I have nothing against modern Sonic, but I was a bit disappointed when I saw that Sonic 4 still had the modern look. The classic look is a bit underappreciated. The Sonic CD anime scenes were a real treat.

Until I played Sonic Heroes (terrible game), I hadn't played since Sonic 3 & Knuckles (awesome game).

The biggest turn off, to me, was the move to the cheesy J-rock driven soundtrack.
              Sonic Heroes is much better than the games that came afterwards, honestly. But Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were much better in gameplay, story and especially soundtrack.

The thing I really liked about Sonic Heroes is that it brought back Chaotix and Metal Sonic. What I didn't like as much is that they didn't bring back Super Knuckles.
              Last edited by Armando; 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Pretty sure there's more PSPs than PS3s on the market.
                According to Sony's press releases, the PS3 dinged 50M units sold at the end of March, whereas at the end of February 67.8M PSPs had been sold.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  But instead they do stupid shit like this and moving Valkyria from PS3 to PSP which has a much smaller audience @_@;
                  Per Wikipedia

PSP: 67.8 Million uniits sold worldwide as of Feb. 28th 2011
                  PS3:: 50 Million units sold worldwide as of March 29th. 2011

So how is 18 million more PSP owners than PS3 owners make for a smaller audience on PSP?

Comment

I thought giving everyone what they want was killing the franchise...?

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      So how is 18 million more PSP owners than PS3 owners make for a smaller audience on PSP?
                      the system is smaller? ^.^
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Extended footage.

Comment

I thought giving everyone what they want was killing the franchise...?
                          As far as I can tell there's only two kinds of Sonic fans: those who want more Sonic 1 through 3&Knuckles and those who want more Sonic Adventure.

I'm pretty sure no one asked for:
                          * Vehicles and guns (Shadow the Hedgehog)
                          * Yet another hedgehog (Silver from Sonic 2006)
                          * Non-canon games based on fairy tales (Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight)
                          * On-rails gameplay (Sonic and the Secret Rings)
                          * That werehog...thing... (Sonic Unleashed)
                          * Button mashing, swords (Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight)
                          * Making Sonic, Shadow and Silver the only playable characters (every game since Sonic Heroes...)
                          * Replacing the whole cast of voice actors by with 4Kids VAs (Shadow the Hedgehog to Sonic and the Black Knight)
                          That's 5 years of really bad ideas.

Sonic 4 fell short of impressing the retro fans because practically all the bosses were rehashes of existing bosses, the final boss theme was awful, Tails and Knuckles didn't appear anywhere, Sonic has his modern look and Homing Attack, and the game looked worse (graphically) than the fan games in the works.

Sonic Colors is the first time Sega does a 3D game that's well-received since Sonic Adventure. I think the only complaint was, again, Sonic is the only playable character, but he had a lot of abilities that sort of step on Tails and Knuckles' feet, so that was understandable.

Looks like Sega wants to please both kinds of fans with Sonic Generations, but the lack of Wii release makes me sad in the pants.
                          Last edited by Armando; 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

sooooo where is my Sonic Adventure 3 or a better Sonic 4..... -.-

I liked both really, the old school, and the adventure style.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Gamestop's release list outed the existence of Sonic Generations for the 3DS.

Additionally, Rayman Origins is coming to Wii and DS. Yep, Ubi Soft is doing honest-to-goodness Rayman games again, this time with no stupid fucking Rabbids.

In fact, Ubi's been acting too good lately. All the 3DS games (even the unfortunate Rabbids one) were surprisingly decent outings. Something fishy is going on - I think they're just playing nice for now so they can start ramping up the shovelware for 3DS later. One of my coworkers was struggling to find space in the DS glass case today because there were so many fucking Imagine games in there. Apparently even little girls can't stand to keep that shit around.

Finally, new Time Crisis was also listed, probably for PS3 since i never see that one anywhere else, but who really cares about Time Crisis anymore?

Comment

Working...
                              X