Illinois
    Louisiana
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Texas
    Virginia

All of them support Ahnuld's law against selling video games to minors. Here's one of the law's advocates spouting ignorant babble because some people who never have invested time in video games agree with him:

Originally posted by Leland Yee
    "The interactive nature of video games is vastly different from passively listening to music, watching a movie or reading a book," it states. "This immersion results in a more powerful experience and potentially dangerous learned behavior in children and youth."

"Moreover, there is a practical side in favor of the State's effort to regulate the sale or rental of violent video games to children. Parents can read a book, watch a movie or listen to a CD to discern if it is appropriate for their children."

"These violent video games, on the other hand, can contain up to 800 hours of footage with the most atrocious content often reserve for the highest levels and can be accessed only by advanced players after hours upon hours of progressive mastery."
    OK, class, how many of you have played a game with 800 hours of violent footage? Does such a game exist? I think it would take a decade to make such a game. I can see Mortal Kombat's goriest bits within 15 minutes and they still love to roll that footage from the 90s to this day.

I can only think MMOs would attract that kind of time investment and they're pretty dull as far as violence goes.

Also, what's so different about sitting down with you kids and playing games with them from reading a book? Books have bookmarks; video games have save points. If you want books to be something you read to your kids, that means the book stays with you. It can work the same way with video games.

This is saying parents can't do the job, that its impossible for them to monitor games because they're just so gosh-darned complicated. So there should be a law to help parents so 16-year old Johnny and Gamestop has to be the adult and they don't.

Makes sense.

Also, I gotta say that being someone who grew up in the midst of a very bitter divorce and having to endure my mothers obsessive nature, if all these so-called violent video games were not the for me, I might be thinking violence was a solution to things now. So I'm thankful Arnold was a movie star instead of a politician when I lived in Encinitas. Those days in the arcades playing Street Fighter II kept me off the streets, to say the least.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM.

Re: 11 States support California video game law

While I do agree with enforcing the ESRB a little more, this guy's reasoning is just asinine.

So, because it's interactive, it's automatically infinitely worse? WTF ever happened to parenting anyway.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

As a libertarian, this sounds like more gov't overreach. If you can prove that a video game has physically damaged your kid or his/her property, go sue the developer or retailer in court.

As a parent who plays games, I'm more worried my daughter will play the games I ALREADY HAVE than go out and buy something worse. Of course, she's not old enough to be capable of doing either, so I have a few more years of bliss.
      Character: Bricklayer
      Server: Ramuh
      31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        Does such a game exist?
        If only video games had directors cuts and deleted scenes...
        {New Sig in the works}
        -----------------------
        "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
        "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
        Originally posted by Solymir
        What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
          Florida
          Last edited by Yellow Mage; 07-22-2010, 05:19 AM. Reason: Interestingly enough, reverse the letter order and you have one of the few worthwhile institutions around here.
          Originally posted by Armando
          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
          Originally posted by Armando
          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Bricklayer
            As a parent who plays games, I'm more worried my daughter will play the games I ALREADY HAVE than go out and buy something worse. Of course, she's not old enough to be capable of doing either, so I have a few more years of bliss. .
            Its really just the state making someone else be the parent. The cashier or assistant manager at a store is not participating in raising someone's child, so its a tad ridiculous to me to force responsibility, even liability where it doesn't really belong. Moreover, most retailers already screen customers voluntarily, so there really doesn't need to be a law.

This is about states controlling something they don't like, just like they tried to control so many other things they didn't like and failed horribly at controlling. But now they're turning to the courts for a definitive action. I'm tired of the government assuming more control and shoving more needless laws down our throats. They can barely enforce the laws and programs they've made as it is.

First there was the MPAA for movies.
            George Carlin got us "Safe Harbor" hours.
            2 Live Crew got us Parental Advisories
            Mortal Kombat got us the ESRB
            NYPD Blue got us a TV rating system.

And for that, things only got racier and more attractive to kids.

Sorry, but Grand Theft Auto doesn't exist just because of Rockstar Games, its exists because the ESRB.

Back when the MPAA was created, it was in response to movies like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woofle?" and "Blow Up." The intention was for ratings to be a guideline without infringing on freedom of speech. The intention of the ESRB was essentially the same. And when the line was drawn, people were essentially given the green light to make something even more extreme.

Hell, some games get slapped with a higher rating now because of user mods that can be downloaded for PC games. So even if you make a T rated game, if someone wants to see boobs down the road, the ESRB will rate it M after anther review.

I overheard a dad talking to his kids the other day. He said he's not getting them another game because football preseason is not that far away and he wants to watch TV. That means there's only one TV and I guess it was made clear there wouldn't be another TV for a while. Selfish? Possibly. Effective? Very much so. Dad is doing his job without having to exercise a great deal of control.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Originally posted by Bricklayer
            As a parent who plays games, I'm more worried my daughter will play the games I ALREADY HAVE than go out and buy something worse. Of course, she's not old enough to be capable of doing either, so I have a few more years of bliss. .
            Its really just the state making someone else be the parent. The cashier or assistant manager at a store is not participating in raising someone's child, so its a tad ridiculous to me to force responsibility, even liability where it doesn't really belong. Moreover, most retailers already screen customers voluntarily, so there really doesn't need to be a law.

This is about states controlling something they don't like, just like they tried to control so many other things they didn't like and failed horribly at controlling. But now they're turning to the courts for a definitive action. I'm tired of the government assuming more control and shoving more needless laws down our throats. They can barely enforce the laws and programs they've made as it is.

First there was the MPAA for movies.
            George Carlin got us "Safe Harbor" hours.
            2 Live Crew got us Parental Advisories
            Mortal Kombat got us the ESRB
            NYPD Blue got us a TV rating system.

And for that, things only got racier and more attractive to kids.

Sorry, but Grand Theft Auto doesn't exist just because of Rockstar Games, its exists because the ESRB.

Back when the MPAA was created, it was in response to movies like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woofle?" and "Blow Up." The intention was for ratings to be a guideline without infringing on freedom of speech. The intention of the ESRB was essentially the same. And when the line was drawn, people were essentially given the green light to make something even more extreme.

Hell, some games get slapped with a higher rating now because of user mods that can be downloaded for PC games. So even if you make a T rated game, if someone wants to see boobs down the road, the ESRB will rate it M after anther review.

I overheard a dad talking to his kids the other day. He said he's not getting them another game because football preseason is not that far away and he wants to watch TV. That means there's only one TV and I guess it was made clear there wouldn't be another TV for a while. Selfish? Possibly. Effective? Very much so. Dad is doing his job without having to exercise a great deal of control.

Comment

This smacks of "Rock and Roll is the devil".

The reasoning of parents being able to read books and listen to music and implying they can't play video games is utterly absurd. I'm sorry, but it is the god damn 21st century and all you old fuckers need to wake up. Video games are a common form of entertainment and more accessible to the general populace now than ever before. It's not that hard to pick up the controller, or heaven forbid the game box and look at the little rating on it complete with numerical age recommendation.

This shit is not necessary. If you're worried about gruesome video games getting into the hands of little children then there are bigger problems you need to be addressing. Specifically: bad parenting.
              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
              Name: Drjones
              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Whats this?!

I've nevered heard of this new law! From what I'm getting off this is that its just another way to make it harder for little kids under 18 to get M-rated games?

Can some post a link that doesnt go to a game site? (stupid work filters -.-) I tried searchn cnn but didnt find anything.

Comment

I don't understand why this is such a huge priority. Minors can still go to R/NC17 rated movies without the theatres being fined.
                  "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Because blatant, and completely untrue misinformation like this:

"These violent video games, on the other hand, can contain up to 800 hours of footage with the most atrocious content often reserve for the highest levels and can be accessed only by advanced players after hours upon hours of progressive mastery."
                    Is being thrown around by "leading researchers, scientists, and scholars from around the world" to back up an issue that is literally non-existent. When you lie about the facts to ignorant people, it's easy to scare them into action.
                    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Laynton View Post
                      Whats this?!

I've nevered heard of this new law! From what I'm getting off this is that its just another way to make it harder for little kids under 18 to get M-rated games?

Can some post a link that doesnt go to a game site? (stupid work filters -.-) I tried searchn cnn but didnt find anything.
                      Its been an ongoing thing for the last two decades and overturned in every state with a shred of sense to see it could be used to abuse First Amendment rights. Until California's law won in a California state court. The Great and Wise Arnold Shwartzeneggar signed it into California state law and there are plenty of parties that would love to see it applied on a national scale, creating a few more nanny states along the way.

Think about it - Arnold Shwartzeneggar. He may like to play up the image of a conservative republican but this isn't about protecting children, its about him protecting Hollywood's interests by government mandate. He wants to buy all his Hollyweird buddies some time and get kids hooked in on their products until Hollywood recovers enough and invest and get a big stake in more game studios.

Just look at Warner Bros. They've stood tall amidst the downturns in viewership and lowered movie sales, they've now got some great game studios. Arkham Asylum and Scribblenauts received huge acclaim (and to be fair, rightfully so, they're good games).

Not all big name studios are there yet. But if they stall the growth of the game industry long enough, they can jump in and grab some studios after a recovery.

And then when they do they'll go out and say this law was unconstitutional - which we all knew it was to start with. Things will go back to the way they were, except the game industry will have a few more big corporate conglomerates holding stakes in them. This instead of being able to grow to that level and do what they're starting to be in a position to do now - take over over Hollywood themselves.

These actions are never about protecting children. If video games were that deeply influential in our actions, we'd be holding the other generations hostage right now. We're not.

I know this law - whatever the more immediate outcome, will be dismantled, but that doesn't mean I can't take exception to the idea of the government and the state telling teenaged kids working at Gamestop that they must act as parents because the real parents "don't have the time."

Let parents decide what's right for their kids, if that kid goes off and shoots someone anyway he was fucked up for other reasons. The media is always just a scapegoat for a real motive and that's been proven several times when violent action is taken.
                      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 07-22-2010, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                        When you lie about the facts to ignorant people, it's easy to scare them into action.
                        Welcome to How Governments Operate 101.
                        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                        Name: Drjones
                        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Bricklayer View Post
                          As a parent who plays games, I'm more worried my daughter will play the games I ALREADY HAVE than go out and buy something worse.
                          Parental Controls. They're on every single console, use them.

And frankly, the ESRB has done more than enough to ensure that people are aware of the rating system, and console makers have made people more than aware of Parental Controls. If you don't use them at this point, you're an idiot. On top of that, not only do most retailers not sell M-Rated games to those under 18 (Up to the point where many of them card you as if you're buying smokes or booze), but most "High-M" games (GTA, Manhunt, etc.) have additional content warning on their cases, such as in a sticker.

A lot of parents complain that their kids will just go play the games at other kids' houses-- well big surprise dumbshit, when you let your kids go over to someone's house unsupervised, you're giving them license to do far worse things than play video games. Parents also complain that kids know how to get around parental controls-- true to some extent. Watch your damn kids if you don't trust them. If nothing else, you know what kids can't get around? Unplugging the fucking console and locking it up some place.

Comment

Yeah its sad, I am tired of selling these parents games like GTA, then see them turn around and give it ti their 10~ year old kid -.-

I was not at work the other day, but a coworker gave me some great ammo to use here today (great as in really sad)

Kid (17 years old) wanted to buy GTA4, Mother said no, because of its content, he not only started to pitch a fit, but he ended up on the floor screaming (yes like I said he was 17)

The mothers reply to my coworker....... "see what I have to deal with"

my only response to that was WTF -.-
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Thanks BBQ for the info!

I think I remeber hearing about it a while ago but just pasted it by as a load of BS and didnt pay it any attention.

I dont see how they can say go watch movies or read books because theyre less violant then games....COMPLETE AND UTER BULL SHIT! 90% of the R rated movies are more violant than 60% and the M rated video games! Mass effect is rated M....no more violant than any of those crappy cop shows on ever damn channel on TV. (pet peeve btw...all the damn crappy ass cop shows that beat out good show like Heroes for example)

Even books can be just as gory as any video...it just uses words instead of a button. I'm all for limiting kids playing video games and going outside and playing or reading books, we need to break the "fat, lazy, stupid american" stereo type anyways, but this is not the way.

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                              Kid (17 years old) wanted to buy GTA4, Mother said no, because of its content, he not only started to pitch a fit, but he ended up on the floor screaming (yes like I said he was 17)
                              I've wittnesed my far share of these. This is were the parent needs to bend down and spank the damn kid. This behavior is more the parents fault than the kids. Kids, by nature, will do anything to get what they want and if parents dont do anything to control them and teach them respect pretty soon we are going to be such a nation of pussys Canada is going to invade and take us over. (Might fix our economy though....maybe)

Comment

Working...
                              X