Xenosaga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenosaga

So, I was thinking about getting the 3 Xenosaga games, but was wondering if any of you have played through them to tell me if I should go out of my way to do so.

Keep in mind I absolutely loved Xenogears and although I'm pretty sure there's no way Xenosaga can even come close to what that game did... I'm still expecting a pretty solid gaming experience, but I'm also afraid it might disappoint me to the point of disgust and I want to avoid that feeling if possible.

So, opinions?

I've already watched some youtube videos and I'm having mixed feelings about buying the trilogy...
    Last edited by Balfree; 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM.
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Re: Xenosaga

If you like watching cutscenes followed by save points followed by more cutscenes, then by all means, go hard.

Otherwise... I would steer clear.*

*I have only experienced the first game, so many the other 2 get better.
    Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

I enjoyed the series. The first one is pretty good, the second one I didn't like as much but the last one makes up for alll of that. Would I think its worth the time to play if you liked Xenogears? Yes, I think so just do not expect the same experience.

You better buy them quickly before the evil galactic empire of EA figures out how to charge you an additional fee if you buy them used!

(And, for some of you, yes I do know they aren't EA games...its called sarcasm.)
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

They should all be available at low prices somewhere...

Comment

First game - Good, left you wanting to know more, felt like there was direction in the story and it felt like you were just scratching the surface of something very big.

Second Game - OMFG HORRIBLE. Starts off so good (as in the opening looked like this would be a great game) but everything after that sucked so hard. Only real reason to play is to know what is going on, and even then the important points could have been dealt with better and most of the game is fluff that is unimportant. Other then 'the opening video is good,' there is nothing good I can say about this game.

Third Game - Fun to play BUT the series lost it's direction and it shows. Between that and the complete waste that the second game was, they have to move very quickly through plot points that should have had more time in order to fit it all in.

All in all, I like Xenosaga and it could have been one of my favorite game series but they screwed up too much. As far as the cut scenes go, it really does seem sometimes that they would have rather made a movie series then a game.

FYI - I still don't see what is so special about Xenogears, but I haven't finished it. Xenosaga held my attention much better then Xenogears has.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Do you play on a PAL or NTSC system, Bal?
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

PAL unfortunately.

Mhurron, the appeal of Xenogears, for me at least is its epic proportions Utopian plot that doesn't throw itself at you, it's complex, has tons of lore, deep character development and back-story, and it keeps me interested with the plot unfolding at a pace that I enjoy a lot and keeps me interested... then the battle system isn't any huge improvement over what stuff like Final Fantasy already gave us but it still feels different and awesome somehow.

I also love using the Gears and improving them, it's awesome when a Gear "evolves" into Omnigear or other upgrades, even though I'm not a big mecha fan.

Comment

I would say Xenosaga is a bigger story the Xenogears is.

Also, Xenosaga Ep 1 was never released in PAL.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I think most of the time when you hear someone say they loved Xenogears it's coming from someone who played around the time of it's release. At that time there weren't as many great rpg's to speak of. I can understand your confusion if you are just now getting the chance to play it.

My only pet peeve with Xenogears is I never had control of speed of cutscenes, and I had to hit x to progress every darn line.

Xenosaga also takes control of the cutscenes away from you, but it plays them like scenes from a t.v. show. Some of them feel that long too, but not in a bad way. I do wish there had been a little more action in between scenes and I could have done with fewer after battle camera shots of Cosmos.
                  "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Yep Bal, no PAL Xenosaga 1 like Mhurron said, thats why I asked you what system you had. I was hoping you had a NTSC because I have a couple copies of 1 and was going to offer to send you one.

Comment

Well isnt that lame.

I'm unwilling to get the other 2 games if I'm gonna miss the beginning of the story...

Comment

What? It was never released in PAL? Why the hell would they release the other two if they never released the first one?!

I have the first two and have played through the first one. I started the second one but then quit after the first cutscene because I had too many other games to play. I really need to go back to it someday because I loved the first one.
                        Hume M - War lv.10 - Bastok

Comment

The games were awesome.

Yes, the second game did have some major issues with it, but it wasn't THAT hard to follow the plot. I liked it, I just thought it dragged on a little too long and the battle system sucked. 3's sucked too for that matter, arguably even more so as I built up my KOS-MOS for as much STR as I could get and she was still only doing marginally more damage than everyone else.

At least in 2 and 3 the Gnosis were a hell of a lot easier to fight. In the 1st game they were like super, OP mobs that you could just barely kill until very late into the game where you can start power leveling. On that note, I killed the last boss in one freaking attack from KOS-MOS in the 1st game and I hadn't even capped her level...
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Buy 1 and 3. They are both pretty awesome and totally worth playing.

Don't even think about thinking about playing 2. It is an awful game that no human who loves video games should ever have to endure.

Luckily, Monolith knows this and included a story summary of Xenosaga 2 with Xenosaga 3 that is viewable before you even start the game. Save yourself the pain and suffering and watch it instead of trying to play the game.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

The first one takes some getting into, its very slow to start and kinda drags out like the Midgar section of FFVII, Ten hours and you feel like you've gotten nowhere. It picks up after a while and has a good story to it and interesting character growth. I usually stuck to Shion, KOS-MOS and Ziggy, though.

Second game - fucking horrible. The story is almost entirely a subplot to the main story and the character growth system is just abysmal. there's literally no difference between each character in the system, which was really sad because they pronounced the differences of the characters in the first game so well. That and they switched to "realistic" character models in a blatant attempt to pander to the western market.

Namco wreaked havoc on the team during that time, so that's why it was pretty fucked up.

X3 is somewhat of a return to form. Back to something closer to the older art style and a more refined skill system.

Comment

Working...
                              X