Infinite Undiscovery Vs Lost Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite Undiscovery Vs Lost Odyssey

I have both games... I have played more of Infinite Undiscovery and I seem to like it way better than Lost Odyssey. Does anyone else feel that Lost Odyssey is a little bit harder to play or understand?
    Emmanuell
    Odin Server - Transplanted from Ifrit Server
    95 DRK, 95 BST
    Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Re: Infinite Undiscovery Vs Lost Odyssey

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite RPGs from the past few years. I played through Infinite Undiscovery once and just didn't care for it. I plan to go back and give it a second chance sometime in the near future since it is fairly short, but I just didn't like any of the characters and found the battle system a bit unwieldy. I disliked that you were forced to replay areas just because you selected a party that couldn't break down a rock wall or open a chest. I hated having to talk to everyone in town 10 different times with each of the party members "attached" to Capell. I also found the bard aspects of the Capell underwhelming. To me the only song that really mattered was the one that allowed you to see hidden chests and doors. Everything else seemed unnecessary and tacked on.

For me Lost Odyssey did a lot of things right. They took a traditional battle system and combined it with limited twitch aspects to get the most out of it. I still love turn based games and i am always happy to see one that takes things that work and re-use them or combine them with other things that work into something else that still works. The real strength of Lost Odyssey is the story, but more specifically the lost memories that can be found. The writing and presentation of these were just amazing. So many of them were moving in ways that you don't expect from a jRPG. Don't take that the wrong way as i love jRPGs as much or more than many, but as an avid player and fan of them there are certainly a lot of cliches that I expect when I start one up. Lost Odyssey definitely had some of them, but for the most part the lost memories blew me away. I am not afraid to admit that i was moved to tears for a number of them as they ranged from crushingly sad to ecstatically happy. I expect Lost Odyssey to remain high on my list of fantastic games for some time to come.
    Last edited by Pavlyn; 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlyn View Post
      Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite RPGs from the past few years. I played through Infinite Undiscovery once and just didn't care for it. I plan to go back and give it a second chance sometime in the near future since it is fairly short, but I just didn't like any of the characters and found the battle system a bit unwieldy. I disliked that you were forced to replay areas just because you selected a party that couldn't break down a rock wall or open a chest. I hated having to talk to everyone in town 10 different times with each of the party members "attached" to Capell. I also found the bard aspects of the Capell underwhelming. To me the only song that really mattered was the one that allowed you to see hidden chests and doors. Everything else seemed unnecessary and tacked on.

For me Lost Discovery did a lot of things right. They took a traditional battle system and combined it with limited twitch aspects to get the most out of it. I still love turn based games and i am always happy to see one that takes things that work and re-use them or combine them with other things that work into something else that still works. The real strength of Lost Odyssey is the story, but more specifically the lost memories that can be found. The writing and presentation of these were just amazing. So many of them were moving in ways that you don't expect from a jRPG. Don't take that the wrong way as i love jRPGs as much or more than many, but as an avid player and fan of them there are certainly a lot of cliches that I expect when I start one up. Lost Odyssey definitely had some of them, but for the most part the lost memories blew me away. I am not afraid to admit that i was moved to tears for a number of them as they ranged from crushingly sad to ecstatically happy. I expect Lost Odyssey to remain high on my list of fantastic games for some time to come.
      Well, okay thanks and it was good to hear your take on it. I will give Lost Odyssey another look then..
      Emmanuell
      95 DRK, 95 BST
      Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

I have both and I didn't really enjoy either of them.
        Lost Odyssey had a strange story which reminded me of FF8...
        Spoiler

Infinate undiscovery I was hoping would be good but the battle system was a big let down for me.

Another big peeve of mine with Rpg's is that they are no place for children. Why you'd drag children through hell and back is beyond me I'd dump them at the next village given the chance.
        Children have no place saving the world.

allthough I did like being able to toggle spells on and off from the AI I wish that was possible in FF13 I'd toggle Ruin off straight away yes it does some damage but I dont like the noise it makes.
        Gosh I'm such a grouch today sorry Emmanuell.
        I hope you're enjoying them better than I did.
        Last edited by Yygdrasil; 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Infinite Undiscovery's characters creeped the fuck out of me.

And that was just watching the trailers. Its like the bastard spawn of FFXI Cid in HD. If you can't animate the lips and teeth properly, just leave a black hole where people's mouths should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Satori View Post
            I have both and I didn't really enjoy either of them.
            Lost Odyssey had a strange story which reminded me of FF8 suddenly everyone is related which was kind of weird.
            Infinate undiscovery I was hoping would be good but the battle system was a big let down for me.

Another big peeve of mine with Rpg's is that they are no place for children. Why you'd drag children through hell and back is beyond me I'd dump them at the next village given the chance.
            Children have no place saving the world.

allthough I did like being able to toggle spells on and off from the AI I wish that was possible in FF13 I'd toggle Ruin off straight away yes it does some damage but I dont like the noise it makes.
            Gosh I'm such a grouch today sorry Emmanuell.
            I hope you're enjoying them better than I did.
            See I just play games and I decide this one is good and this one is okay etc etc... I guess I am not just a die hard video gamer but its all good and thank you for your input no doubt! I look at things black and white lol...

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
            Infinite Undiscovery's characters creeped the fuck out of me.

And that was just watching the trailers. Its like the bastard spawn of FFXI Cid in HD. If you can't animate the lips and teeth properly, just leave a black hole where people's mouths should be.
            I thought more of Lost Odyssey that way just too funny I guess lol
            Emmanuell
            95 DRK, 95 BST
            Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

I have yet to LO but god damn IU was awful. I rented it and I couldn't even finish it, turned it in a few days before it was due. It's been a while so I can't recall specifically why, but i just remember it was incredibly boring and tedious. ; ;
              80BRD/78DRK/68RNG/49NIN/37SAM/37WAR/37WHM/19BLM/16SMN/15THF
              Hume/Bastok/Rank6/Remora:

Comment

Originally posted by JoetheAwesome View Post
                I have yet to LO but god damn IU was awful. I rented it and I couldn't even finish it, turned it in a few days before it was due. It's been a while so I can't recall specifically why, but i just remember it was incredibly boring and tedious. ; ;
                Thanks for you input but IU is so far a great game for me... I do not know if I will be able to finish LO because it is harder for me to follow... To each his own I guess lol...
                Emmanuell
                95 DRK, 95 BST
                Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

Strangely I enjoyed Blue Dragon more than those two games.
                  Which is odd considering your party is children lol.
                  But I found it alot of fun.
                  I want to try Divinity II I think it was called I played the demo which I thought was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Satori View Post
                    Strangely I enjoyed Blue Dragon more than those two games.
                    Which is odd considering your party is children lol.
                    But I found it alot of fun.
                    I want to try Divinity II I think it was called I played the demo which I thought was great.
                    I never heard of Blue Dragon! What is it about?
                    Emmanuell
                    95 DRK, 95 BST
                    Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

Blue Dragon takes place in a fictional open-world environment where every year for the past ten years, purple clouds have mysteriously appeared in the sky, signaling misfortune and disaster for people across the world. For years, a terrifying beast dubbed the "Land Shark", came with the purple clouds, killing thousands of people and destroying a number of villages The world is split up into climate regions, each containing multiple kingdoms and villages. Around the environment are multiple sources of treasure

^^ From wikipedia

And with that your rag-tag band of teens end up chasing an evil guy called Nene accross various places.
                      Characters have their "shadows" which sort of act for them in battle and you set jobs for them such as Monk etc.
                      The battles are quite fun too charging the power of attacks and spells.
                      It's all done in a very cutesy fashion which I normally can't stand but I did enjoy it better thatn LO and IU.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2N1nEJi1k"]YouTube- Xbox 360 Blue Dragon Trailer[/ame]
                      Last edited by Satori; 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Lost Odyssey was by far one of the best JRPG's I've played in a while. Infinite Undiscovery I just had the hardest time getting into. I still need to finish it but I doubt I ever will. Blue Dragon was even better than IU, imo.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                          Lost Odyssey was by far one of the best JRPG's I've played in a while. Infinite Undiscovery I just had the hardest time getting into. I still need to finish it but I doubt I ever will. Blue Dragon was even better than IU, imo.
                          You may be right but so far Infinite Undiscovery was easier for me lol... Oh well I will go back and take another look at Lost Odyssey one day soon...
                          Emmanuell
                          95 DRK, 95 BST
                          Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

I LOVED IU the story was definitely messy, i wont lie. But Ive played all final fantaies, most dragon quests and alot of other RPGs but I liked the battle system to IU and once you actually figure out how to do everything in the game, (side quests, blacksmithing, etc.) the game is pretty fun. Its alot of in depth than people make it out to be. And im gonna pick up LO monday

Comment

Never played Lost Odyssey to be honest.

I did finish IU though, and it was a disgrace - an eternal blemish on Tri-Ace's otherwise splendid record.

Everything in that game was garbage, almost no redeeming qualities I'm sorry to say. It looked so promising too in all the previews but by the time I beat it all I could ask myself was "why did I subject myself to this?". And this is coming from a Tri-Ace fanatic (I own 3/4 Star Oceans and have beaten them all, the only game I haven't tried from them yet is Resonance of Fate)
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X