Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BANNED!?? F**k that, I'll sue!

Gamer Sues Sony over First Amendment | NBC Bay Area

"What happens when you take away someone’s video games? You might get sued.

A San Jose, Calif., man is suing Sony, claiming the company violated his first amendment rights when they banned him from playing the PlayStation 3 game "Resistance" for something he may have said while communicating with other players.

Erik Estavillo, who says he suffers from agoraphobia, a fear of crowds and public places, depends completely on the PlayStation game for social interaction.

But Sony occasionally bans users from the on line gaming system when they engage in inappropriate behavior. Estavillo admits that he was doing some “trash talking” while playing "Resistance," but says that virtually everyone who plays the game participates in the same language and he is unsure as to why he was singled out.

Estavillo was issued three warnings before having his account permanently locked. He says he can't remember exactly what he said to set off the Sony banners the final time, although he encourages those interested to visit his YouTube page where he discusses his ailments with Sony in detail.

“I can’t really go outside,” said Estavillo. “On the game, I met a lot of people I liked, and a lot of people that liked me. When they cut me off, I couldn’t talk to those friends anymore.” One of those friends is gamer BarbieGirl, who Estavillo says he views as a sister.

Estavillo, 29, cited a number of mental disorders in his filed complaint against Sony on July 6, which claimed the ban "has caused pain and suffering to an already disabled plaintiff."

“[Because of my health], I need all the support I can get. This game is how I communicate with people,” he said.

He is suing on four counts of unlawful behavior, one being the violation of his first amendment rights and another on counts of theft. Estavillo claims he has money in the videogame’s store, which is inaccessible to banned users.

Estavillo is demanding $55,000 in punitive damages as well as "pain and suffering damages."

Sony has yet to respond to the suit.
    "

SERIOUSLY!? YOU break the rules by being an asshole, you are warned MULTIPLE times to knock it the f**k off, and you keep doing it anyways and sue when you finally get banned. More proof of the clogging of our legal system with crap!
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: BANNED!?? F**k that, I'll sue!

I think I just fell out of my chair and swallowed my tongue from ROFL...

What a douchebag!

(Don't ban me. ;;o.o)

Comment

Instantly thrown out; when you're using a company's website (or chat channel, or game, or other digital communication), the company has control over that. They can treat your communications pretty much however they want. Just the same as if you're going around yelling at people in Wal-Mart, you'll get your ass kicked out. First Amendment is a government thing, buddy.

On a personal level, to twist a phrase, those who live in isolated houses shouldn't throw stones at their utilities.

I'm sympathetic to his plight, but then I'm not acting like enough of a douchebag to get myself banned from anywhere I need to have access to to communicate with friends-- and I certainly don't have ONE SINGLE LINE OF COMMUNICATION with anyone who matters a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        One of those friends is gamer BarbieGirl, who Estavillo says he views as a sister.
        Yeah, I believe that. Just like I believe that you don't totally want to put it in her butt. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
          Yeah, I believe that. Just like I believe that you don't totally want to put it in her butt. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
          Its possible.
          Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Oh god.

What's with all the suing lately?
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

As one who suffers from an anxiety/mood disorder (along with a potpourri of seemingly random symptoms when I go off the meds), I have to say this guy has (1) probably done nothing on the treatment end to address his issues and (2) made no progress in correcting various behaviors himself.

While games are a social activity and that's all well and good, to really overcome part of the problem is to socialize with people or even talk to a pet that is physically there near you. I can cry on the shoulder of a friend online, but after that's done, they're not really there for you outside of listening. There is something very real and effective about the people that are actually around you. I can't explain it other than after I stopped living alone, I made a lot of personal progress. Maybe part of it is having people there that depend on you. Doctors say those that are mentally ill have a better chance at recovery when people are there for them.

So this is ultimately just another petty lawsuit. If he was really mentally ill and seeking any kind of real treatment, he wouldn't be doing it through a PS3.

Comment

The thing is BBQ, the mentally ill don't always seek treatment. Agoraphobics, I would imagine, especially so. I doubt many psychologists make house calls.

Talking to people online would be more of a coping mechanism than a treatment.

Yeah, I believe that. Just like I believe that you don't totally want to put it in her butt.
                You do realize that it's possible to have non-platonic feelings about someone you generally think of as a sibling, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  So this is ultimately just another petty lawsuit. If he was really mentally ill and seeking any kind of real treatment, he wouldn't be doing it through a PS3.
                  qft

...."I need all the support I can get."

I wonder if that's self-diagnosed.

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                    Oh god.

What's with all the suing lately?
                    In a country of 300 million people, if the media want to find one person with a stupid lawsuit that won't last 5 minutes, and then scream "ZOMG we're being overrun by stupid lawsuits!", they can. It seems like their favorite hobby anytime a celebrity isn't dying, getting divorced, or losing their clothes in public.

This is about as much of a threat to the legal system as a kitten is a threat to Godzilla.
                    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                      The thing is BBQ, the mentally ill don't always seek treatment. Agoraphobics, I would imagine, especially so. I doubt many psychologists make house calls.

Talking to people online would be more of a coping mechanism than a treatment.

The agoraphobia might not drive him to treatment, but the anxiety disorder might.

Comment

INSTA-FAIL.

The First Amendment only applies to the US Government.

It is impossible for Sony, or any other private company or person, to violate your First Amendment rights.

How did this even get far enough to become slightly newsworthy?

Mucking Forons.

Of course you can sue for anything, and receive a default judgement when the other guy doesn't show up, whether or not you're right. And they still have to pay their own legal bills, unless you somehow really piss off the judge.

And Sony isn't even trying to claim "common carrier" status, so don't go trying that one next when you and your frivolous lawsuit get thrown on your ass.
                        Last edited by Elwynn; 07-23-2009, 04:40 AM.
                        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Day in court goes as follows: Douche bag's attorney makes his case on behalf of his client. No sony representation is present other than a bicycle courier. When asked for sony's defense, courier delivers TOS to judge. Judge's left eyebrow raises significantly higher than the right as he turns to address douchebag, "Really? You're here to sue Sony because you breached their contract? Really? I've read the first 1% of the TOS and I imagine you just being here today is a further breach of contract. I rule in favor of the defendant. GTFO of my court room and go home and wait for sony to send you a subpoena. Cross your fingers they dont." Gavel slamage.

WHM75/BLU75/THF75/BLM40/SMN37/NIN37/DNC37/SCH37/BST37

Comment

Originally posted by AutonomousMarkings View Post
                            GTFO of my court room and go home and wait for sony to send you a subpoena. Cross your fingers they dont." Gavel slamage.
                            Judge Mills Lane?
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------
                            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                            Originally posted by Solymir
                            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

And the cake is a lie =3

>:3

Seriously, you agreed to the ToS so tough shit buddy...
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X