Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

360 version of FFXIII unlikely to have Japanese voice track. Uh... doesn't that imply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 360 version of FFXIII unlikely to have Japanese voice track. Uh... doesn't that i

Most of the people who did the VA in Crisis Core FF7 were virtual nobodies at the time (save they got some of the same ppl from AC) and yet the acting was still top notch.

Zack was especially good. Quit hating on the NA voice actors already! Except for Scott "everbody" Mc Neil... you can still poke fun at him for being a whore =3 (I like the guy's work but god damn he's played a lot of parts. Just look at his resume from beast wars LOL!)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Re: 360 version of FFXIII unlikely to have Japanese voice track. Uh... doesn't that i

It's just funny because the Japanese language itself is pretty emotionless and bland by design. Yet, people saying they put more emotion into it. They have to because there is none. At least I know when someone is suppose to have a southern accent in an anime or game, the English dub will at least have one. That interview with the localization team for XI should be proof enough how bland everything is in Japanese.

It's the people dubbing it, and not the voice actors that have them sound retarded sometimes. You can't bag on them for that. Also, voice actors usually just stay that, because Hollywood doesn't want them as actors. On the flip side, they want actors as voice actors too, so it doesn't go both ways.
      To be the best in this game...you must help each other become the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        Still, I'll take New Game Plus over JP dub in a heartbeat.
        Please get it right. It's ORIGINALLY IN JAPANESE. IT'S ENGLISH THAT'S THE DUB.
        Hacked on 9/9/09
        FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by Omniblast View Post
          Please get it right. It's ORIGINALLY IN JAPANESE. IT'S ENGLISH THAT'S THE DUB.
          That's one hell of a hair to split. Last I checked, video game and animated characters don't speak any language on their own.

I'm not going to type "original Japanese recording" every time it comes up. There is original Japanese recording and then there is also an original English recording, both are recordings and thus both get abbreviated as "dub."

Dubs are audio, subs are the text of the dialogue. Easy, no? Are you going to get snippy when I refer to japanese text in the JP version of Halo 3 as "sub?" Because that's exactly what they are - subtitles.
          Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            Quit hating on the NA voice actors already!
            Raydeus Torrentberry uses Otaku's Grudge.
            The Malacite takes 99999 damage.
            The Malacite was defeated for great justice.
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
              The Malacite takes 2101 damage.
              The Malacite was defeated for great justice.
              Fixed for similar reasons. And boredom.
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Excuse me for saying but why dont we just get off JPs dick the only true reasson anyone likes to hear the JP voice over ... (I do on ocassion dont really care) instead of english is because JP shit intrest you ... Most likly an "Otaku" its also a stupid fad shit that will die out some day ... it has nothing to do with quality of actors time zones or any of that shit its consumers and developer budget .. so really if you want JP voices might as well import it from JP .. this is a worthlesss debate because next awsome JP RPG tht dosent have JP voice over will just cause a whole big thing agian .
                Originally Posted by Avenius
                "We may be human, but we are still animals..."

Words of advice
                "If u drive around a pink Mini Cooper you will end up with a real sore pooper"
                Ollie the Magicel Bum

Comment

No one had said anything for the last ten days til you commented on the subject.

I'm just not picky. The only time I really even feel like I might want to hear a game in Japanese is when I'm positively annoyed by the English dub (it takes a lot to get to me, BTW) and when the setting is a little more JP-centric, but it also depends on the theme. I prefer no acting at all.

I find the whole discussion ironic because I'm playing a game set in 1920s Japan, a time Japan was enamored with the fashion and trends of the west. It also plays heavily on the detective noir theme, which was popular for a time in America. So they draw from the lingo of that theme and that time period. And people from southern Japan are written with American southern accents.

Does it make it less Japanese. Not really, the game shows a time where Japan was transitioning from the old ways to the new, there's plenty of aspects that maintain its cultural identity. Its actually a time period I'm always interested in seeing, in fact the whole late 19th century through 1920s Japan is something I like reading and even seeing movies about (except that one with Tom Cruise, he creeps me out).

Comment

Originally posted by spiffaliffa View Post
                    Excuse me for saying but why dont we just get off JPs dick the only true reasson anyone likes to hear the JP voice over ... (I do on ocassion dont really care) instead of english is because JP shit intrest you ... Most likly an "Otaku" its also a stupid fad shit that will die out some day ... it has nothing to do with quality of actors time zones or any of that shit its consumers and developer budget .. so really if you want JP voices might as well import it from JP .. this is a worthlesss debate because next awsome JP RPG tht dosent have JP voice over will just cause a whole big thing agian .
                    BZZZT WRONG! Next contestant! I prefer the original JP track for the reasons I stated and only those reasons. I don't have kanji tattoo'd on my body, I don't have chopsticks in my silverware drawer, and I don't moon over skinny ass pale skinned asian men. I'm too old for that shit. I just know what I like and what I don't so stop trying to tell me what I am and what I like. Fyi, I do import (have been LONG before it was "cool") and its ironic too because I just finished watching my JP import of ACC right before checking the website.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

The one thing I didn't like was that they changed Cid's entrance in order to let Tifa fight. It looked waaaay too forced.

Also, they upscaled a lot of scenes instead of re-rendering, but it still looked great (yay new scenes) so it's ok. Can't wait to see their next full blu-ray releases.
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I knew some weird shit like that would happen. I liked Cid's entrance the way it was.

I'm actually hoping SE stops sequelizing the rest of the series after this FFIV project - even though from the sounds of it that's what the new version of AC is trying to do - there really aren't that many older FFs than needed a sequel anyway. FFXII got a pass since there had already been other games in that world, FFXIII gets one because it was envisioned that way from the start.

FFVII, though, has just been fucked with a little too much now. Not that it wasn't interesting. I actually did like Dirge in terms of story and devloping Vincent and Reeve's characters, but it and Crisis Core add too many elements that splinter the plot or diminish certain parts of FFVII itself. Plus they never brought Before Crisis to DS or PSP, so I'm still a smidge bitter about that. I wanted the game about The Turns the most.

At least SE stopped themselves from making that FFXIII cell phone game and took it to PSP. I'm looking forwward to the FFIV sequel, but I'm hoping SE refrains from touching the other games in the series in this fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                          and I don't moon over skinny ass pale skinned asian men.
                          At first, I was disgusted. Then I remembered you were female. Then I remembered you were a grandmother.

And then I read this line:

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                          I'm too old for that shit.
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Kinda getting tired of people saying that we must be some Japanese whoremonger if heaven forbid there are those of us who like to at the very least have the option to hear the game/movie/anime in Japanese.

I can respect differences of opinion, I cannot respect people who simply throw in insults and just say that their way is 'better'.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I think the problem really comes in when you get the morons that say that FF games should just stay with the Japanese dub and never do an English one.

Of course, they say this without realizing SE would never be able to do the FF International releases in Japan. The Final Fantasy International releases actually only use the English dub, which some Japanese are actually interested in hearing. See, they have Otakus for English dubs, too.

I also find the "JP onry" mentality kinda silly for Final Fantasy, since the themes are just in much inspired by western themes as they are eastern ones, if not moreso. Then there's all the Star Wars and LOTR homages.

Side note: I've never really heard many complaints about the FFXII English dub. People say Vaan, but fail to realize how swiftly he became a background character to the story and what a tremendous scene-stealer Baltheir really was. Vaan never really got to Tidus/Cloud/Squall levels of emo-annoyingness, that died off soon after Basch joined up. Basch and Ashe were really central to the story.

Now if you want to complain about how Vaan looked, ok, you got me there. His intital look was far worse then how he finally ended up, though.

Anyway, those that dig up FFX as their rationale against English dubs need to die, because I'll whip out Metal Gear Solid each time they do. That predated FFX and it was the first full-blown english dub of any sort in the US. Then I'll point to SE's releases after FFX/FFX-2.

Any problems with Kingdom Hearts? 2? FFXII? Dirge of Cerberus? Crisis Core?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                                Dirge of Cerberus?
                                Might I suggest you never use this as an example of quality for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X