X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 gets soft start in Japan

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.gam....ap/index.html
    Apparantly Japanese people aren't too big on Xbox like the people here in the U.S.
    You kill one man, your a murderer
    Kill many and your a conquerer
    Kill them all... your a God.

Re: Xbox 360 gets soft start in Japan

Nope, likely still have the bad taste of the original XBox not having enough RPGs to wet their appetite. I really don't see Microsoft holding to strong in the gaming industry, they should just continue on with their process of dying out and letting the world forgetting their atrocious monstrocities.

Not to mention with the XBox easy overheating if not given the right open space is likely to be seen as a huge flaw in the system to give them an even worse taste in their mouth.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Most Xbox games aren't appealed to me too. Having lots of FPS and eye candy action games are very american market favour imo...

buying GC for zelda > xbox360 for me.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Sadly, I'll be doing just what Jei mentioned. XBL was a huge weighing factor for me, and I actually thought MS had some good ideas, but I realize now that I don't like their market of games. I used to force myself to play FPS, now I don't need to, because I realized I don't HAVE to like them just cause everyone else does. Gimme a quiet evening after school and some RPGing, [yes please]
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Man... all XBox is a flashy shoot em up bang bang... give me a great storyline and epic adventure and I will be set. All my favorites are still on SNES and I can play them over and over again and never get tired of them.

Bahamut Lagoon? Yes, please!
          Tales of Phantasia? Yes, please!
          Halo? No thanks! Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.

Comment

The first XBOX didn't do much of anything for the Japanese market, so I'm not expecting the 360 to do that much better.

Unless they start putting some substance behind all that technology and hardware, Microsoft is screwed.

To this day, I regret ever wasting my money on an XBOX. I think I played it for about a month or two, and now, it's sitting in my room, collecting dust. I haven't touched the damn thing in 7 months. They're just isn't enough good games out there exclusively for the XBOX.

Comment

Microsoft just didn't know when to shut their managers' up with their bright ideas before they hatched.

Japan's culture is way different in eletronic devices then US and EU. They did some things right, but one step foward and three steps back.

6 launch games reaks of low sales...and nothing really catering to a JP audience. Ridge racer is #1 as much as that counts...which is pretty bad.

There is also the fact that having bad articles will doom you in an electronic mecha like Japan that's as bad as trying to find a date in middle school after the rumors had its way with you. Heat problems and scratching disk will multiply 100 fold in japan ears.

Brand name is about as bad as rumors with the orginal xbox reception.

For a situation that reported 30-43% sales rate... the US is having fits on reports of $150 deep discounts when over here, it's ebay at 1,500.

[The 360 is doing worse then xbox orginal...and that's sad with all their effort]

I can see some managers not getting bonuses this holiday. A Jan-feb launch in JP would of seen much better results.
              Last edited by kuu; 12-14-2005, 07:00 AM.

Comment

what would you catagorize resident evil 4 o.O? This so far is the only aim-it-with-analogue shooting game that I enjoy... I would gladly bought GC for this too, if it wasn't gonna come out on PS2.

FFXI seems to have minimal if any influence at all to help xbox sells.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

my impression of Xbox and Xbox 360, as a Japanese myself, is more of the action games and less of RPG, which many ppl would agree that it's more suited for US market.

also, as for the backward compatibility, whereas US Xbox 360 can play about 200 Xbox titles, Japan's Xbox 360 can only play 30 of them. (the list can be found here.) this was so disappointing for Japanese Xbox users.

still, the main reason why Xbox didn't sell well and Xbox 360 isn't doing good here in Japan is a lack of titles that attract Japanese users, which PSX2 is far better at. it is rumored, however, that Square-ENIX may supply the future big titles to Xbox 360, such as FF13 and Dragon Quest 9, and might not make them available for PSX3. while i personally doubt that they won't supply them for PSX3, if it turns out that they r only available for Xbox 360, then there's no doubt that it'll start selling like pancakes.

nevertheless, the shortage of interesting titles is hurting Xbox 360 in Japan. some of my ffxi friends bought Xbox 360, but they didn't buy any games; they only play ffxi beta right now. still, they do know that Xbox 360 is a console w/ great ability and possibility, so it's really a matter of available titles.

btw, at amazon.co.jp, Xbox 360 Special Launch Pack "usually ships within 24 hours."

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...282535-0380704

Comment

if you can forward me to the rumors of FF going over to the x-box exclusively I would appreaciate it.
                    If beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.....than what is truth?

Sig under construction.

Comment

but rumors come from people's gossip aren't they xD so hearing it from bside is the source.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

True,but Im hoping for a link as to where he saw this rumor. >.> I just have to know! <.<;;
                        If beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.....than what is truth?

Sig under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
                          but rumors come from people's gossip aren't they xD so hearing it from bside is the source.
                          there was a news at MSN Japan that s-e will make FF and Dragon Quest series of titles available for both PSX3 and Xbox 360, which s-e later denied saying "we haven't reached the final decision." and this started a rumor that they might make them Xbox 360 exclusive, while like i said i think that's unlikely.

link for the news about s-e denying (in Japanese);
                          http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/entert...00072000c.html

i couldn't find the one for the original news reporting that s-e will supply those titles for both consoles, as they r already outdated and not in the archive section any longer.

btw, i just found the news at MSN Japan, that Microsoft will release the Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD drive next year. (yes, next year.)

http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/today/...20143000c.html

this news was published 4 hrs ago.

i did some quick search, and couldn't find any english sites w/ this. just wondering if any of u guys have heard about it.

and if it was true, those of u who already bought one would really be pissed...

Comment

Just a translation of bsides second post.

Xbox360: To the next generation DVD adoption machine sale "of HD" standard

American Microsoft on the 14th, with the game machine "Xbox360" which on the 10th is sold in Japan, HD - DVD (HD) set the policy of selling the new model machine which uses the next generation DVD of standard, even in next year. SONY of the rival uses blue ray disk standard, "place t Shaun 3 (PS3)" in the schedule which next spring sells, even in field of game machine it means that standard competition of the next generation DVD occurs.

Present "360" has adopted DVD. Is, but it opposed to PS3, compared to in order to try to be able to move the game software of Kousei detail at bulk, the next generation DVD judged that it is indispensable. HD to which American Microsoft has stated support from the time before is adopted.

Entering blurring in of the publisher (head office Tokyo) according to, after the selling "the 360" the sale quantity 2 days at 62135, has been less than 120000 units of the first machine which is crushed. It is seen as the for the sake of sale of the popularity software on end of year has become postponement. < Taniguti å´‡ child >

Everyday newspaper 2005 December 15th 3:00
                            "Place T Shaun" rofl, that's funny, cause that's how they pronounce it. idk, i was lmao for a few mins there >.>
                            The Tao of Ren
                            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                            Originally posted by Kaeko
                            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by bside
                              there was a news at MSN Japan that s-e will make FF and Dragon Quest series of titles available for both PSX3 and Xbox 360, which s-e later denied saying "we haven't reached the final decision." and this started a rumor that they might make them Xbox 360 exclusive, while like i said i think that's unlikely.
                              Agreed, I cant see anyway Sony would give up rights to the their cashcow in SE. You have to know that FF and DQ sell consoles on their own. Here, and even moreso in Japan I'm sure. SE would have to ask for more money than what's available in the known universe for Sony to pass on that deal.
                              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Working...
                              X