Financial Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Financial Woes

There's no room for a second person in here. I have considered it. No one will want to sleep on my couch (sharing the bed is out of the question) and there is not even a centimeter of space for anyone else to put their stuff in this shoebox. In my old apartment it would have worked but this one is too small for two people. Not only that, I don't have any friends looking to move and I'm not picking up a random roommate.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

It looks like you need a better paying job, and that's the only answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, putting school on the back burner until you can afford it is advisable as well...
      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
      RANK 10 Bastok
      CoP: Done
      ZM: Done
      ToA: Done
      Assault rank: Captain
      Campaign Medal: Medals
      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

That's kind of a catch-22 isn't it?
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

It's probably what you don't want to hear but speak to a Financial Advisor rather than "random people from the interweb". If that is not an option then what Mezlo said is pretty much what you're going to have to do.

If this was the UK there would be a whole lot of people I could put you through to for help, but since I have no knowledge of what sort of advice and support you can get out in Florida I can't really be of much use here.
          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
          Reiko Takahashi
          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
            It's probably what you don't want to hear but speak to a Financial Advisor rather than "random people from the interweb".

I believe I've said that twice already. Seriously is there no at your local bank Aky that you can consult with?!
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Keep in mind that I did just land a much better position in my company and that will entail a pay raise. I haven't started in that job yet and won't see my paychecks for it for at least a month, but this problem is temporary. I was looking for short-term help and I got it, thanks dad. I was honestly trying to avoid doing that, though.

I've put school on hold long enough. There has always been another excuse not to do it. If I don't get to school and finally get a degree, I am never going to get out of this cycle. I have accepted that my company is not a good paying place to be, but it isn't like jobs are falling from the sky. I've applied places but haven't had any luck. I am hoping this new job will solve some of my issues.

Basically, it worked like this:
              • Last month, my income-based repayment plan with Sallie Mae expired. I wasn't notified of this, and when they auto-debited my account, they took out about $600 instead of the usual $170.
              • I didn't know this until my I paid my rent check and it bounced. Due to the time it took for my bounced check to be sent back to the leasing office from the bank, I had racked up 10 days worth of late fees, which cost me another $189.
              • I called Sallie Mae and they said they couldn't reverse it, that my income-based plan had expired and told me to apply again. I got firm with them about why they didn't see fit to notify me before nearly quadrupling my debit.
              • I paid the leasing office fees to keep a roof over my head and put the car insurance on hold, putting me a month behind.
              • I fixed the income-based plan with Sallie Mae and I am back to normal (for me) payments.
              • I took out an employee advance from work but the limit is $300 and that only helped halfway.
              • I had been planning to go back to school this month before all of this shit went down, and I was not prepared to wait three more months to do it.
              • I looked for second jobs, no success.
              • Found out that I had gotten the position/promotion with my company and I started my training last week (but still was needed in my old capacity while backtraining happened).
              • Applied for my Chapter 33 GI Bill benefits.
              • Waiting - for the VA and for work to make the changes.

So basically it is a temporary problem. I hit a run of bad luck and it's sucking the life out of me. Once I get back on my feet I am going to find a way to open an account not tied to my current ones and start building up some savings so that when shit like this happens, I don't end up in this position again.

I was just wondering if anyone had any short-term solutions since work is taking its time - and it's not like I don't understand, people have to be trained - and I can't even blow my way to overtime. XD

I do appreciate the advice and help though. I did take a withdrawal from the Bank of Dad (as much as I hated to do it), and that will probably put things back to right, or damn near close to it. I plan to sell back every single book I bought for this term and get some of my investment back. My friend told me I most likely won't see VA money until June 1st anyway. /prays.

However, I am keeping a lot of what's been said in mind. I should look at getting a second job for added income once my schedule settles and I know where I'm going to be and when. I am also always looking for ways to save money (using CFLs, not running the AC constantly, getting applicable discounts, etc.) so I know I can be thrifty. I am at least doing my very level best to pay off everything and not use deferments as a crutch, and when I start making more and get even again, I'm going to continue to pay more to Sallie Mae because I want to get out from underneath their mountain, and it only takes me an extra $650 a month to pay them off in 15 years (I used an online debt calculator for this), so that's what I'm going to aim for.

So now I'm setting financial goals - but I'm taking them one step at a time. I think things are looking up now, as much as I hated to borrow from my dad again. But I'm looking at preventing this type of situation again. So any advice for the future and working on savings, etc., when I get back to the black would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
              I believe I've said that twice already. Seriously is there no at your local bank Aky that you can consult with?!
              USAA has financial advisors. I have spoken to them in the past. I will call them again after I get Friday's paycheck.
              sigpic

Comment

It turns out I start salary on Monday. I have not yet discussed compensation with my employer and I am a little surprised that they're moving this quickly. I sent an e-mail to the HR manager to schedule a meeting to discuss salary. I'm hoping to walk away with at least a halfway decent number.
                sigpic

Comment

^^b good luck!
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X