No announcement yet.

And we thought PSP Go was a bad idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And we thought PSP Go was a bad idea...

The PlayStation Phone -- Engadget

"It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!
    "

-------------------------------------------

Ya I know there are going to be the people that say this is awesome but haven't we learned from the abysmal PSP Go? I really don't see this catching on. I carry a phone and I have a PSP and even this doesn't appeal to me at all. And battery power....good lord this better come with batteries you can swap out.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: And we thought PSP Go was a bad idea...

Sony's new slogan should be this:

Sony: We even make Sega look like they have a plan.

The sad thing is that you know they're working on PSP2 right now, so why not just focus on making PSP better instead of creating things that might end up competing against it and confusing consumers?
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

It looks like an N-Gage that swallowed a PSP-Go!
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

First thing I thought about was the battery life. For it to support the amount I'd want to play it I'd need a battery pack like a Ghostbuster's proton pack strapped to my back.

Comment

I know some people don't mind paying $30+ for a downloadable game but I do. So a UMD would sell this more for me but then you run into the point that a UMD drive would make it unwieldy. Also, like I said above, the PSP isn't known for its outstanding battery life like the DS is. Add a phone and apps to a PSP and you are going to have one massive battery drain. So again, you'll need a big ass battery or be able to swap out batteries so you can have backups. I really don't know how they are going to overcome the power issue. Average use of my phone and apps and I need to recharge by 4 pm, add a game system to that and holy crapper wrappers!
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

The problem with PSN store and Playstation Plus is what goes "On Sale" is totally arbitrary.

Well that and download speeds of PSN are still total shit even with the best connections out there, having a worse connection just makes things harder on you. I have a 4G connection, so you can imagine the joys of owning a device that is all-or-nothing when it comes to caching data it downloads.

I've been trying to DL Dissidia to my PSP all night. It dropped to $20 on PSN so I figured since I play it so damn much I may as well pass on the physical copy for a trade in on Kirby. Closest I've gotten before being dropped is 44%.

I don't even want to imagine the download speeds on a Playstion Phone if its only 3G compatible.

Comment

There are a lot of phones coming out in Japan with solar chargers built in so they never actually get plugged in.

Just sayin'.

Comment

But people already have iPhones...
                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                Name: Drjones
                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Need to just start selling games on Micro SD cards or Mini SD cards.... things are dirt cheap now, hell cheaper than UMD disc's i'd imagine.

you can get a 2gig for 5 bucks from amazon.... and that's at the consumer level, if sony bought 100 million of them, probably only cost them less than a penny a chip. and now you have your games, on a portable media, that litterly can fit into your wallet (like a shit load of micro SD cards can fit in your wallet...)

lol 4gigs are only 8-12 bucks rofl.

fucking sony....

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                    There are a lot of phones coming out in Japan with solar chargers built in so they never actually get plugged in.

Just sayin'.
                    If it's the phones I'm thinking of, when I went into the Softbank store and asked if they actually charged the phone enough for daily use... The answer was a flat out "No. One hour of it charging would be 5 minutes of extra battery life." Woo!?
                    sigpic

Comment

As someone who has an Android phone and plays games on it, while ALSO being someone who is a console and PC gamer, I will say that the whole lot of you are philistines that don't understand the vast untapped market there is for mobile gaming.

What Sony is making is a phone that has special controls for mobile gaming. The Mobile Gaming market thrives on games that cost under $5 and the revenue is the complete inverse of the console market, Console gamers LARGELY being the type that don't like paying for extra shit.

It's a wonder how many of you pay the extra $2-5 for content from a game publisher. Actually, it's not a wonder, because I've seen many of you bitching about paying for things you believe should've shipped with the game, calling bloody murder when a developer releases a map pack and has the audacity to charge you for it. Naturally, you'd think that paying $60 is enough, but as console gamers, many of you feel entitled to everything and expect $60 to cover the cost.

GRANTED, some publishers get carried away by charging hand-over-foot for bullshit like rehashed Maps, a couple of overpowered guns and some unnecessary armor, but that xenophobia towards all things DLC that runs rampant across many corners of the video-game fandom is disheartening. It's a serious sense of entitlement that gives me cause for reservation for my fellow gaming generation.

This is a Phone, that runs Android, that is made by Sony, that has all the functionalities of a high-end smartphone in addition to the vast Android Marketplace.

What Sony is intending on doing is adding a now flavor to the score of things by putting in a control-pad and giving Sony-backed Mobile Games.

This is NOT, a PSP replacement, this is NOT their new thing in their hardcore gamers line. This is a PHONE, targetted at a certain market that is definitely very profitable. No UMDs, and yes, the thing looks like the Xperia (which wasn't pretty in the first place) with capacitive joy-touch-pads.

While the NGage was ahead of it's time in a bad way (unsupported, craptacular games, and just a general ULTRA-GEEK ONLY appeal), it's 2010 and Apple is printing money with games on the iPad and the iPhone. Of course mobile-phone manufacturers are enviously looking at the billions made in profits by other phone companies in just the past quarter.

Even Nintendo came out their ass and said that Apple is now their main competitor.

Get with the program, people.
                      Last edited by WishMaster3K; 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM.
                      The Tao of Ren
                      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                      Originally posted by Kaeko
                      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Android 3.0 + portable FFT on one device... seems like an okay marriage to me. Too bad I don't use phones without a hardware keyboard. =(
                        Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ufgt View Post
                          Android 3.0 + portable FFT on one device... seems like an okay marriage to me. Too bad I don't use phones without a hardware keyboard. =(
                          When I got the G1 two years ago, I thought that Touch-Screen + Keyboard was a such an easily brilliant idea and wondered why Apple didn't do that.

I used the G1 for a year and a half, and then I got myself a Nexus One and it really wasn't a hard transition.

Phones with 3.7" and higher screens are big enough where a hardware keyboard only gets in the way of aesthetics, but admittingly, the good news is that if you really desire a hardware keyboard, there are a ton of phones on the market for you. All I'm saying is to give touch-screen only phones a chance.

The original PSP has a 4.3" screen at a 16:9 ratio, with a resolution of 480 x 272. It has a 333 MHz CPU (and I think a GPU clocked at the same thing), and 64 MB of RAM.

Most Android phones out this generation follow the template of the Nexus One and have at least a 1 GHz Snapdragon chip, 512 MB of RAM and 512 MB of ROM in addition to a 3.7" Screen with a resolution of 480 x 800. There are even phones out with 4.3" screens, 1GB/2/GB/4GB of ROM, hardware keyboards, GSM/CDMA and a host of other features like NAND access, custom UIs and all the fun stuff that is a part of the Android universe.

The Snapdragon processor in the Nexus One (released January 10) is a first gen QSD8250 made on a 65 nm die, that has been overclocked to 1113 MHz with an Adreno 200 GPU.

The Snapdragon that shipped in the G2 (released October 10) is the MSM7230, clocked at 800 MHz, but with an Adreno 205 and has been over clocked to 1400 MHz.

NVidia is pushing their Tegra 2 chip to market that is rumored to be a dual core 1.5GHz chip, and mobile CPUs are getting faster and less power hungry every few months.

These phones have the hardware to push better games than the PSP, and Sony decided to just take the template that was already there and possibly throw in their back-catalogue of games (I'd be really interested to see if I could play Minis and/or PS1 games on this phone; that'd make it a huge win).

The developers who put out fun games on the mobile platform (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc) are rolling in money, and these games are made on low budgets with low man teams.

What Sony is attempting to do is to throw their muscle as a major player in console towards a market dominated by small fish.
                          Last edited by WishMaster3K; 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM.
                          The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                          As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

If they add a good 12+ megapixel camera into the mix I'll definitely buy it. I was planning on getting an Andriod in about a year or so anyway.

Just one thing, Sony better does away with that F'ing connector they used on a lot of S/E phones for wired hands free/headphones and add a proper mini-jack instead or I wont buy it.

I'm sick and tired of having to replace that damn thing every 3 months.

And maybe I'll save Lumines for that phone instead. <_<

PS > It would be nice if they had an extra layer with a keyboard kinda like the one on the Mylo. But that's probably too much to ask for. <_<;
                            Last edited by Raydeus; 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM.
                            sigpic
                            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

My main issue is how the distribution is going to work. Mobile Games is a huge market, but the only way I see this working for Sony is them having a specific store attached to the device. This can work if they partition a section off from the PSN for Mobile, and possibly make PS1 and/or Minis compatible with the platform (they already made them work with PS3 and PSP, so with this being the alleged PSP Phone, I would be upset if we don't at least get Minis/PS1 games).

So that means that pretty much all Android games will work on it, but because of the touch-focused minimum-requirement of the devices, it's unlikely that most games outside of those pushed by Sony will take advantage of the controls/buttons provided. Then there is the aspect that the UMD format holds 1.8GB of data, so if the phone somehow someway supports PSP games, there would definitely be a need to for removable flash memory.

I think the phone is nifty, and I definitely think there would be people who would buy it. Having a Phone, my PSN catalog, PSP games, MP3s, and a camera (good point, Ray. This is a god damned Ericsson, for the most part; I demand my megapixels), means that I could leave my PSPgo at home and only have one thing in my pocket.

I really hope Sony doesn't drop the ball on this. They've been doing good the past year and a half with great games, great PSN content and some neat innovations to the platform after they dropped to third place and got over their PS2-enabled hubris.
                              The Tao of Ren

Comment

Working...
                              X