Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast: Here we go again

FCC loses key ruling on Internet `neutrality' - Yahoo! News

I think we all know what really is going on.

This was never about piracy, it was never about BitTorrent no matter how many times they want to jump up and down about it. Its not about bandwidth usage. That's all just smokescreen.

Its simply about controlling how you access the internet and who you get your services through. Comcast and Time Warner in particular are livid that consumers aren't buying in to their premium services. And we know AT&T isn't happy about things like Skype,

Also, while the FCC is figuring out how to maintain neutrality, be wary of our "friends" in DC, who are still floating around the idea of a Media Bailout, though the idea is laying low these days. There are people such as Waxman that think a Media Bailout is a good idea.

Whatever you may think of the media as it is, I don't I have to explain to you that if the government owns any of the media, then a free press can't truly exist.

We know how this would affect us as gamers, but there's a bigger picture at play. Imagine someone deciding what sites you can visit, be they corporate or gov't that's just wrong. So long as there's neutrality and no government control, these providers can be scared straight by consumers. We did it last year and we need to keep on doing it.

Personally, I don't care who you vote for, but if your representatives and senators are not for neutrality, you need to show them the door. Both sides have too many incumbents anyway.

Re: Comcast: Here we go again

What can I do? I'm just one person.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      Whatever you may think of the media as it is, I don't I have to explain to you that if the government owns any of the media, then a free press can't truly exist.
      Sure it can. It's called the parts of the media the government doesn't own.

C-SPAN isn't wholly controlled by the government, but damn if they don't have a significant stake in it.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
        What can I do? I'm just one person.
        Bitch and moan loudly and constantly at the correct people.
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
          Sure it can. It's called the parts of the media the government doesn't own.

C-SPAN isn't wholly controlled by the government, but damn if they don't have a significant stake in it.
          C-SPAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian Lamb, C-SPAN's chairman and CEO, conceived of C-SPAN while working at Cablevision, a cable industry trade magazine, as their Washington, D.C. bureau chief. C-SPAN was created as a cable-industry financed, non-profit network for televising sessions of the U.S. Congress and other public affairs event and policy discussions. Bob Rosencrans, a cable industry pioneer, was alone in providing the initial seed funding of $25,000 to start up C-SPAN.[1] It receives no funding from any government source, has no contract with the government, and does not sell sponsorships or advertising. It strives for neutrality and a lack of bias in its public affairs programming.
          Its actually mutually owned by the cable industry and a non-profit group.

Comment

Stop Net Neutrality - Keep the Internet Free | Facebook

Comment

Here's another wrinkle, brought to my attention by a fellow mod over on LBR:

Originally posted by Maxx-V
              Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten
              Comcast wants people to believe this is about piracy, about BitTorrent and about bandwidth consumption.

It is about none of these things.
              You're right about that. The US government is trying to cover that with the ACTA:

lyrebird: ACTA - making a crime out of copyright infringement

Some More Lowlights From The Leaked ACTA Draft: Whole Thing Can Be Rammed Through With 5 Votes | Techdirt

This isn't higher monthly fees we're talking about. This is a law. Court, fines, criminal records, even prison. The whole nine yards.

Worst part? The US is pushing to make the ACTA INTERNATIONAL law.

Comment

So, when we're passing laws now we can define how many votes it needs to pass? How the hell is this democracy?

Comment

They seem very confused. The title of their group roughly correlates to 'Close all prisons - Keep criminals off the street.'
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Has anyone seen the new Isohunt site for the US?

Isohunt is where I go to get any and all of my P2P downloads. I'm a pretty heavy bittorrent user (and now understand why my speeds suck, darn comcast) and they just completely butchered the whole site. Isohunt LITE! WOOT.

Urghurgh.

I think this, and Isohunts entire case, has to do with this topic. If not, I'm rather sorry.

Comment

Nah, its really about ISPs and their inability to sell their shitty packages in light of superior options the internet provides.

Its about the consumers being smark and being able to undercut them within the minimal services they provided.

Its about being able to maintain the ability to overcharge left and right like it was 2004 when more options are springing up left and right and other newer, smaller services are providing cheaper broadband.

BitTorrent and anything like it, that's a just a scapegoat.
                      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X