What languages do you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What languages do you know?

Not sure why I haven't asked this before.

Personally, English of course.

Studied Japanese off and on for a few years, started taking it more seriously, taking classes, looking at going to Japan for study. Still basic, though, of course.

Though I studied Spanish in school for around three years, am half Hispanic, and really should know it, I barely remember any of it. Intend to study it again sometime.

Annnnnnd I've picked up French recently.

I still consider myself to be monolingual, though, and that annoys me.

Re: What languages do you know?

Portuguese (hurr?)
    English
    Spanish
    A little french
    I can probably order a dinner in Italy, also.
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

French
      English
      Few word Spanish

Comment

Tu perro es muy feo y tonto.
        Dos hamburesa con lechuga y tomato, no cebollas, por favor.

That's about as far as i go with Spanish. Funny thing is, you could probably throw people who spoke spanish, french or german at me and I'd probably catch on to what they were saying pretty quickly. And I'm pretty good with people with thick dialects from other corners of the world.

For whatever reason, I always find myself playing the interpreter wherever I'm working. My family finds it strange because I'm not the most social person out there.

But as for learning to speak any language myself, I just can't retain much of it. Studied spanish for years and still can't speak it well for the life of me, but I could read or listen to it and know what was going on. Plus I love mexican food and i'm inundated with spanish-language TV programming while I'm at those places. Mostly soccer, but sometimes also other programming. They even seem to like running the re-broadcasted games.

I would like to learn another language, but options are so limited in my area and I need to focus on getting training in other things for a while for now. Particularly web design. I'd go for graphic design, but I take to that easily and don't feel I need a class to teach it - I just need a computer to do it on.

Comment

English
          Bad English
          Spotty Spanish
          I used to know Latin pretty well but have been out of practice for about 10 years.
          Thanks Kazuki.
          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Java and Python, but I could probably fake my way through knowing a few others.

I've forgotten almost all the Spanish I learned in high school.
            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
            Name: Drjones
            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

English and Spanish, sort of. I used to speak it fluently but I forgot a lot of it. In my household everyone speaks spanglish and whenever I hear someone talking full Spanish I usually have no problem understanding them (except when they talk really, really fast). I'm hispanic too so I feel a little ashamed not being able to speak it properly. I'm taking a French class next semester so hopefully I am able to retain that. xP, I want to study abroad and I figure French is a good place to start.
              80BRD/78DRK/68RNG/49NIN/37SAM/37WAR/37WHM/19BLM/16SMN/15THF
              Hume/Bastok/Rank6/Remora:

Comment

English and HTML WHERE IS YOUR PRON NOW?

Took latin 2 years in highschool and learned enough to get by with a decent grade and somehow forgot it within the next year... Was going to take Japanese in an online broadcast class in highschool but they cancelled it because they did not find a teacher.
                {New Sig in the works}
                -----------------------
                "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                Originally posted by Solymir
                What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

English, Tiny bit of Spanish, French, German and a tad bit of Welsh.
                  I go to Spain most years but I still havn't properly learnt the language... :/

As for German and French, I'm learning it atm and I just really scanned over Welsh every now and again.
                  sigpic
                  WHM75 | BLU73 | RDM75 | SMN75 | SAM73 | NIN47
                  Ifrit Server
                  My RDM tribute:

Comment

English, a tiny bit of gaelic/latin/spanish and japanese. Wanna pick up gaelic and japanese when i get some time. Possibly russian or german also.
                    Thf75/Cor75- Time to work on this...

Caleus-Fenrir-BACK!

Comment

English of course.

Enough Spanish from my one year of Spanish class to be surprised every now and again... in other words I'd be watching a movie or walking down an aisle at the store and think to myself "uhm.... I understood this word and that word? wow, not a total failure at teh Spanish."
                      sigpic

Comment

English and Spanish, though the latter could use a bit of practice. Any Japanese I can claim to know is really only from JP Button and communicating with Japanese players in FFXI.
                        Originally posted by Armando
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Originally posted by Armando
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

English & French, I want to get Rosetta stone to learn Japanese but omg it's expensive...

The funny thing about my French is, just about everyone I ever spoke to in French back @ my old job as a cashier commented on how good it was even though it really sucks o. O;

maybe it's just my natural knack for voice talent? idk.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

English then a very basic understanding of French, Spanish, Greek, and Japanese. It's like most things though, if you don't practice it often you forget an awful lot and being on an island isn't really as conducive to learning foreign languages as say being surrounded on all sides by different countries.

Comment

English, basic spanish, basic latin, C++, Java, and lolunix
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X