X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTV VMA Rappers and Celebs supporting Obama

Okay, before I start:
    I am NOT racist.
    DO NOT flame, this is NOT an attack on anyone.
    Stay on topic.
    ---

I watched the VMA on MTV today and noticed alot of the rappers and celebs (both black and white) are supporting Obama. Not McCain.

A question to ponder: Is this because of his ethnicity? Looks? Age (Arguably a good reason), what do you think?

And since when was it cool in Hollywood to be apart of the election?
    Ever since unregistered Paris Hilton said it was okay?
    I know their target audience is teens, which is a good thing to get them to vote (again, arguable), since none of them (Us really, I'm kind of a teen) really do, but just WHO is running our Government now a days? Liberal media? Gangsters and thugs? Potheads?

Again, this isn't racism or sexism.
    I just don't want these wannabe "thugs", who sing about slapping hoes and spinning rims, telling these teenagers (whose minds apparently haven't fully developed yet) who to vote for.

Who's going to be running the country next? Snoop Dogg?
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: MTV VMA Rappers and Celebs supporting Obama

When a musician opens his mouth about party affiliations and voting, that's generally when I want them to shut up. I think its an abuse of status and if they want to be political in any way, they should spend more time raising awareness about issues we might not know so much about.

Rage Against the Machine is a band that does it all the time, U2 is known for doing it along with many others. The difference is that they don't simply talk politics, they get involved. They don't just write songs and tell you who you should vote for.

McCain said something that struck a real chord with me in his speech at the RNC and that was that if you don't like like how our government works, get involved and help change it for the better.

Even its not working for the government, get involved in a cause that improves the situation instead of heaping all your hopes on politicians to do it.

I wonder where these guys where when Obama made tons of effort in Hurricane Katrina relief and restoring New Orleans. Did they even know who Obama was at the time? Maybe if they got involved then I'd give a damn what they think about him. If these guys want to use thier status as celebrities, they could be doing better things with thier time than telling us who to vote for.

And to answer your question, "Since when" has been always.

Comment

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
        And since when was it cool in Hollywood to be apart of the election?
        Dude, Hollywood has always had their foot in politics. Opinions are like asses, everyone has one and they usually stink. And people in Hollywood are no different in that regard. The only difference is, for some god damned reason, people listen to them.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        I wonder where these guys where when Obama made tons of effort in Hurricane Katrina relief and restoring New Orleans. Did they even know who Obama was at the time? Maybe if they got involved then I'd give a damn what they think about him. If these guys want to use thier status as celebrities, they could be doing better things with thier time than telling us who to vote for.
        Didn't celebrities have a massive fund raiser and donate millions to the relief effort?
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I recall seeing a poll several years ago, asking people if celebrities' political opinions mattered to them. I can't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall somewhere between 80 and 90% of people said they really don't give two shits about what they think. Somehow being popular for a given talent goes to your head and you seem to think that your opinion on politics becomes important to everyone.
          In fact, I've pretty much quit supporting a few celebrities simply because they won't shut up. Danny Glover being the first one that comes to mind.
          I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

It's not meant to appeal to everyone, though, Caspian. It's meant to get those few, that %10 to go vote. Like pretty much every other political endorsement. Personally, I couldn't care less about what Billary thinks; but their support matters.

And frankly, Tipsy, it's probably because of THEIR age. Younger people are more likely to look at things like Youtube and The Daily Show/Colbert Report (which are usually harder on politicians than the mainstream media nowadays), and there's a huge amount of stuff out there bashing McCain/Palin over the head with their own words and lies. You'd have to be an idiot to support McCain after seeing the things he's said.

Just watch Hulu - Fri, Sep 5, 2008: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart ; for example.

Comment

Working...
            X