Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those too lazy to make a decision that will have a positive effect on your health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those too lazy to make a decision that will have a positive effect on your health

Panel OKs one-year ban on new fast-food restaurants in South L.A. - Los Angeles Times
    There's LA, willing to protect you from your own self destructive behavior.
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Re: For those too lazy to make a decision that will have a positive effect on your he

I would have thought the film supersize me would put someone off eating fast food for life.

Comment

Re: For those too lazy to make a decision that will have a positive effect on your he

"McDonald's Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips sounds healthy. In fact, ounce for ounce, the Selects are no healthier than the chain's Chicken McNuggets. A standard, five-strip order has 630 calories and 11 grams of artery-clogging fat. That's about the same as a Big Mac, but the burger has 1,040 mg of sodium, while the Selects hit 1,550 mg — a whole day's worth — even without the salty dipping sauce."

"Each slice of The Cheesecake Factory's 6 Carb Original Cheesecake has 610 calories — that's the same as you'd get from a slice of its Original Cheesecake. Think of it as an 8-ounce untrimmed prime rib for dessert — with 29 grams of saturated fat, a 1½-days' supply. The next time you step on the bathroom scale, you may never know that the carbs were missing."

"The Starbucks Venti (20 oz.) Caffè Mocha with whole milk and whipped cream is more than a mere cup of coffee. Think of it as a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in a cup. Few people have room in their diets for the 450 calories and 13 grams of bad fat that this hefty beverage supplies. But you can lose all the bad fat and all but 170 calories if you order a tall (12 oz.) with nonfat milk and no whipped cream."

"“Fresh chicken and broccoli over pasta with Parmesan cream sauce,” says Ruby Tuesday's menu entry for its Fresh Chicken & Broccoli Pasta. Some diners may know that the cheese and cream sauce add saturated fat, but how much harm could they really do? Enough to turn the dish into a 1,700-calorie megameal — that's like swallowing two one-pound orders of BBQ baby back ribs."

"Unless you're suicidal, why on earth would you want to wolf down a Burger King Quad Stacker — 4 hamburger patties, 4 slices of cheese, 8 strips of bacon, plus sauce and a bun? That's half-a-day's calories (1,000), one-and-a-half-days' worth of saturated fat (30 grams), 3 grams of trans fat, and more than a day's sodium (1,800 mg). Urp!"

"Interested in a Chipotle Chicken Burrito (tortilla, rice, pinto beans, cheese, chicken, sour cream, and salsa)? Think of its 1,180 calories and 19 grams of saturated fat as three Subway Steak and Cheese 6-inch Subs. Plus, it has 2,900 mg of sodium! Getting the burrito with no cheese or sour cream cuts the saturated fat by two-thirds, but you still end up with 950 calories and 2,690 mg of sodium. Yikes!"

These are shining examples of why something needs to be done. In a few states now they must list nutritional information right on the menu board so people can make more informed choices. Yes, there will always be the people that don't give a flying fart but even if 1/2 choose something more healthy it's a step in the right direction. Obesity and diabetes are rampant in our society. In the American Medical Association Journal poor eating habits are the 2nd largest preventable killer in the U.S.
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I'm walking away from this thinking that it's further proof that if you're gonna be bad and eat cheesecake or something, don't go for the low fat garbage.

And contrary to what other people say, I can taste the difference between products that use whole cream vs reduced fat stuff.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Not being funny but the US's problem is also the size of the portions. My friend had a M in america and he said he went for the kids meal, because the burger with the kids meal was the same size as the supersized big mac in the UK!!!

also fast food restaurants in teh Uk ahve been forced to offer healthier options, but when you read between the lines you find that the source they stick on the salad is laced with calories and salt.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
            Obesity and diabetes are rampant in our society.
            I could have swore these were personal problems.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Thats the thing, I'm all for businesses and restaurants doing what they can to improve the quality of life and trying to help their patrons become more healthy, but its not the governments place to come in and place restrictions on the type of restaurants that are allowed in a particular area.
              Now, if the owners of the land that would be leased to build the McDonald's and Burger Kings decide not to sell to fast food places, then thats one thing, but for a city council member to decide that her precinct is a bunch of fat asses and its up to her and her alone to make them healthier, thats not okay. Its not the government's place to tell me to get my cholesterol under 200 and drop 50 lbs. If someone wants to work 9-5 then go home and lay on the couch gain a couple hundred pounds, then they have their own issues, but its not for the government to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                I could have swore these were personal problems.
                You would think but when society ends up footing the bill for those fat asses, then they make it our business.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                  You would think but when society ends up footing the bill for those fat asses, then they make it our business.
                  So stop that. This doesn't do anything to stop people to stupid to help themselves anyway, so like most things that start off with the phrase 'someone has to do something' it does nothing.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

My wife and I have been eating healthier lately. We are regulars at the gym and have always been. She decided to eat more fruits and vegetables, since we are trying to have a kid and she wants to be really healthy. The problem is, stuff that is good for you, is pretty expensive. I just think its hard for people with low incomes to pass up fast food. Its fast and cheap. Thats prolly why my state is the fatest state in the union.
                    Thanks Kazuki.
                    Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
                      I would have thought the film supersize me would put someone off eating fast food for life.
                      With a few rare exceptions this is pretty much what it did for me.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
                        My wife and I have been eating healthier lately. We are regulars at the gym and have always been. She decided to eat more fruits and vegetables, since we are trying to have a kid and she wants to be really healthy. The problem is, stuff that is good for you, is pretty expensive. I just think its hard for people with low incomes to pass up fast food. Its fast and cheap. Thats prolly why my state is the fatest state in the union.
                        Thats the thing, though, fast food isn't near as cheap as it used to be. Combo meals at McDonald's are now over 5 dollars along with most of the other national chain fast food places. Eating really healthy can be very expensive, especially when you start buying all the organic stuff. But just generally eating healthier isn't all that bad. Basic fruits and vegetables aren't very expensive. Just eating wheat bread sandwiches with no dressing is infinetly more healthy and much less expensive than buying a big mac.
                        Fast food chains are still less expensive than eating at a nicer, healthier restaurant but its not any less expensive than buying groceries at the store, especially when you consider the fact that they make the store brands for a reason.
                        You can eat non-crappily for a lot less than you think.
                        Hell, its over a buck cheaper and much healthier to still eat at McDonald's and just not buy the Coke. Carbonated beverages are absolutely terrible for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
                          It would've been a good example, if it weren't exaggerated and twisted to the point of being propaganda.

Comment

This ban was also placed in low-income neighborhoods. See, the problem with this idea is that the bad food is cheap and the good food is expensive. So you're not helping people eat healthier or helping bring in new businesses, you're actually screwing both sides. You're putting pressure on grociers, who are subject to other aspects of our economy and can't exactly sell thier product cheap to thier customers. The low-income people have to pay more for food or go out further to get it.

I'm all for people wanting to eat healthy, but this isn't really the way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                              I'm walking away from this thinking that it's further proof that if you're gonna be bad and eat cheesecake or something, don't go for the low fat garbage.

And contrary to what other people say, I can taste the difference between products that use whole cream vs reduced fat stuff.

That's exactly my thinking. If you're going to indulge yourself, why cheapen the experience? I mean that's the whole point, to enjoy the food. Why eat a dessert that tastes like crap AND gonna add to your weight?

The problem is balancing eating and physical activity.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X