Earth Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour

Earth Hour is an international event that asks households and businesses to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour on the evening of March 29 at 8 pm local time until 9 pm to promote electricity conservation and thus lower carbon emissions.
    Anyone did this? I honestly didn't know about it until today.

Aaliyah is more than a woman and she graduated with a 4.0 GPA (she only had 1 "C" grade ever in her life).

I bolded and underlined the "is" just for you, Malacite.

Re: Earth Hour

An attempt was made by my household, but I had my computer and ceiling fan on.. So the earth will probably die a minute later than it normally would have... but since Electricity doesn't really have much to do with saving the planet (Unless its generated by coal or oil) it seems a bit redundant to me. They should have called it "Power Saver Hour" Or something silly to that effect.
    c:x:x:x:x{{:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Proud hater of Windows Vista since Windows XP Service Pack Two!

My limit break involves a moose, the demon Baphomet, and a Kuiper Belt object. It takes four hours and you cant skip any of the cutscenes.
    She's coming around for another pass! Do we Fight, Use an Item, or Run?
    FIGHT, ITEM, or RUN? DECIDE!

Dont look a gift lion in the mouth!

Perscription strength Assault!
    Side effects may include joint pain, loss of mobility, and fainting.

Comment

It's about the Carbon Emissions, not the Electricity.

Comment

I had no clue this was happening... Well I guess I better tur-

Oh wait. It's already past 9 here.
        Originally posted by Ellipses
        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
        Originally posted by MCLV
        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
        More Sig:

Comment

I didn't know about it either. I wasn't home though, so I guess I participated without even knowing it.

Comment

Hey, I can see the stars now!
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Yes, I knew about this...

I turned on extra lights between 8pm and 9pm though!

Kekekekekekekekeee!

Actually no, didn't do anything special.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I didn't even know this existed.

Comment

Yeah my city went a lil extreme with it...employed a few dozen officers for traffic control and turned off some downtown street, building lights and stop lights. About 8:30 a nice 4 car pile up happened at the north end of town and a police car colision with a 15 passenger van occured.

yeah great for the earth...its the obese people and china that in this world are contributing more to global warming more than anything...The carbon emissions coming from china is 10x more than the US.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

I thanked you just so I could remove it for a different reason, Mal.

People are still buying in to this global warming crap? Seriously?
                    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 03-30-2008, 08:59 AM. Reason: Granted, that doesn't mean we shouldn't monitor emissions at all, but we're doing it for the wrong reasons. What we should be doing it for is to not end up like Beijing.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                      People are still buying in to this global warming crap? Seriously?
                      Yeah...I honestly think there's a global cooling going on. Since spring came Minneasota has had 3 winter storms totalling over 3' of snow and thats since the 1st day of spring and a few days of 50+ degree weather. I'd think with the ever growing threat of global warming we'd maintain warmer weather...

I thanked you just so I could remove it for a different reason, Mal.
                      Huh?

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

The evidence of global warming is sparse, if there is any truth to it at all. A bigger problem might be the Ozone disintegrating, but only because of the excess U.V. radiation it lets in. Personally, in Colorado we had more snow this year then the past three years combined.
                        Originally posted by Ellipses
                        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                        Originally posted by MCLV
                        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                        More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder View Post
                          The evidence of global warming is sparse, if there is any truth to it at all.
                          Really.

Comment

This event is/was incredibly stupid. If you want to be environmentally helpful, raise awareness to get people to use better energy sources (and use poor energy sources as little as possible), not a token event. Hell, tell people to keep flashlights by their beds and get rid of their nightlights and you've probably already done more good than this did.

It would also be more effective to just get people to turn all their lights off before they go to sleep; plus it can't possibly inconvenience them, and will save them (an admittedly marginal amount of) money too. It's still not going to do shit for light pollution, though, until someone starts doing something about street/business lights.

Also, the stupidity in this thread is painful.

Comment

I can't help it.

Comment

Working...
                              X