Hello~ I'm doing a project for Stat in which I'm seeing if there's a correlation between video game violence and real violence (which is to say nothing of which causes the other). I would really appreciate it if you guys would take it. Also, if you think its lacking anything, let me know. Thanks!
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
Collapse
X
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
Don't know how those questions would change much for someone older. Most of it is recalling events, so guy just has to recall how often for them. I know exactly how many times I've done what those questions ask, I didn't see a 0 for one of those questions so I had left it blank.
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
Ah... the problem with Yes or No questions. Sometimes things just aren't quite as clear cut.
- In your honest opinion, do you believe that violence in video games affects children?
I believe it can, however I know with proper supervision and rearing it won't.
Thinking back, when I was 19~20 range, I don't even remember many M Rated games. Were the Resident Evil games on the PSone rated M? I think the first time I really paid attention to the M Rating was around GTA III, and of course that was due to all the media coverage.Odude
PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4
Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
The ESRB was established in '94. I'm pretty sure even the first gen PS1 games in the longboxes had ESRB ratings.Originally posted by tdh View PostI believe it can, however I know with proper supervision and rearing it won't.
Thinking back, when I was 19~20 range, I don't even remember many M Rated games. Were the Resident Evil games on the PSone rated M? I think the first time I really paid attention to the M Rating was around GTA III, and of course that was due to all the media coverage.
Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
lol, intresting because the first M rated one I got I know exactly which it is "Devil May Cry". That was the first anything of M rating I had bought. Since then I've bought a total of 6 M rated games (and 1 M rated Anime, Elfen Lied, but that wasn't the topic).
Also yes "Resident Evil" is M rated.
Lol, going to tell you what my parents bug the hell out of me with when I make statements like that. First make assumption that there is no supervision what's your answer? Then make it that there is supervision what's your answer? Which do you feel stronger about being a realistic outcome?Originally posted by tdh View PostAh... the problem with Yes or No questions. Sometimes things just aren't quite as clear cut.- In your honest opinion, do you believe that violence in video games affects children?
I believe it can, however I know with proper supervision and rearing it won't.
Thinking back, when I was 19~20 range, I don't even remember many M Rated games. Were the Resident Evil games on the PSone rated M? I think the first time I really paid attention to the M Rating was around GTA III, and of course that was due to all the media coverage.
Probably why I get so pissed at many of the outcomes when I sum it that way. Realistically the chance of parents providing proper supervision I see as being quite low. I'd love to say no it doesn't but if the condition is that it needs supervision then realistically it would be false since supervision is so low by my assesment of it. Why I get so pissed when I see parent with such poor supervision, because of their crappy job everyone is basically hurt from it.Last edited by Macht; 11-30-2006, 03:16 PM.
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
This I knew, but wasn't the M rating later added, or changed from an existing rating?Originally posted by eticket109 View PostThe ESRB was established in '94. I'm pretty sure even the first gen PS1 games in the longboxes had ESRB ratings.Odude
PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4
Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
Looking at the answers now, it probably actually would have been better if I'd done middle school. Ironically, of like 60 people that took it very few actually play lots of M games anyway. However, any result is useful in some way; for the project what's important is what we do with the info. The last yes/no question is really just something I wanted to see, not sure how I'll figure that into my project.
Also, I tried to add 0 for fights, but it wouldn't let me once it had already been taken >o<"In just refusing to retreat from something one gains the strength of two men" -Shungaku
Sig by Tsuko~
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
This isn't possible. Your results will be tainted and useless by accepting people outside the target but asking them to pretend to answer as they would have.Originally posted by Shiyume View PostHaha, its fine. Anyone over 20, just answer as you would have at a younger age
Not that your results will really mean anything at all anyway though.
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
One of the main problems is that yes some video games have alo of vilence in them, but they are age rated to allow for this, the same as films. Most people of the correct age to play that type of game have an understanding of the actions going on in the game and it doesn't affect them. (note I am saying most, you can't generalise on anything for 100% of the population)
The problem comes when parents buy these games for their underage kids (for example GTA vice city was certified 18 in the UK) they ignore the certificate and buy it just becaue the kids want it. At the age of some kids (and an example i will give you is I saw a women buy GTA for her 8 year old kid) they don't know the meaning of violence and that this is just a game, theya re in teh "play state" of life where they are looking for a direction and alot of things around them tend to be an influence on them.
Certificates are a good way of keepign the games out of the younger peoples hands, but its the aprents who need to be responsible by understanding the game is certified for a reason.
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
Yeah, I know that, but something like 90% of the people that have taken it have been within the age group, and based on the results I have already a little skewing isn't going to hurt it. There's several other ways in which things could have been better but acknowledging and talking about them is part of the project anyway. And given how boring the results were I'll need something to talk about to fill up time XDOriginally posted by Mhurron View PostThis isn't possible. Your results will be tainted and useless by accepting people outside the target but asking them to pretend to answer as they would have.
Not that your results will really mean anything at all anyway though."In just refusing to retreat from something one gains the strength of two men" -Shungaku
Sig by Tsuko~
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
I think it was 17+ or something like that in the early early days. I poked around wiki but couldn't find much.Originally posted by tdh View PostThis I knew, but wasn't the M rating later added, or changed from an existing rating?
Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039
Comment
-
Re: Video Game Violence; A Statistics Project
ESRB WikiOriginally posted by eticket109 View PostI think it was 17+ or something like that in the early early days. I poked around wiki but couldn't find much.
Looks like there were just some changes to M and AO ratings, and that must have been what I was thinking about. For some reason I was thinking that M rating was added later. Of couse by the time I started to play video games, I was old enough to buy any of the games regardless of rating.Odude
PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4
Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1
Comment



Comment