X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A well-written blog article regarding WOW

http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/20...-from-top.html

Re: A well-written blog article regarding WOW

most of what he wrote could be said of any MMORPG. have heard many similar stories about EQ1 as well. hell, my buddy from HS even dropped out of college cause of it.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

It wasn't bad. Not necessarily all that well-written, but it wasn't the worst thing I've read either.

What Neighbortaru says is true. You could remove all of the instances where they say "Blizzard" and "WoW" and replace them with something like "SE and FFXI" or "SOE and Everquest", or any other MMO. This kind of game is addicting. It's the genre. Some more than others, and some people are more prone to it than others, but there are a lot of other people who manage their game time responsibly, but they aren't as exciting, so it's obvious why there isn't a focus on those people.

Comment

Only 70 days of playtime and he is in the oldest guild, and is in a position that eveyone in WOW wants to be? Kinda makes my 100+ days and only having level 68 feel pretty silly.
        Thanks Kazuki.
        Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
          Only 70 days of playtime and he is in the oldest guild, and is in a position that eveyone in WOW wants to be? Kinda makes my 100+ days and only having level 68 feel pretty silly.
          Well, leveling in WoW is much faster than in FFXI. You can get to endgame in a matter of weeks.
          Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
          I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Ya I know. Just being silly.
            Thanks Kazuki.
            Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Desideratum View Post
              there are a lot of other people who manage their game time responsibly, but they aren't as exciting, so it's obvious why there isn't a focus on those people.
              I like to think of myself as falling into this group, but the funny thing is, when people find out you've been playing for 2 years and only have 28 days of game time, they'll chide you with remarks like "wow, you're lazy", "You must hate leveling", or some such thing. No, we aren't as exciting, because the game is central to our associations with each other to begin with. Nobody wants to hear about all the accomplishments we may have made in RL.

It's a tight-rope walk between "not being casual, and actually playing 'enough'" and "addiction to a level where RL falls apart."
              Last edited by Hantz; 10-18-2006, 07:55 AM. Reason: more

Comment

So it's the game's fault people have no self control. Like NT said, WoW is no more addictive then any other MMOs. Heck, the Lineage series actually kills people.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

It's an interesting read.

The author starts out blaming Blizzard for creating a game that is too seducing, then in just a few paragraphs down fingers the real blame with:
                  From a leadership perspective, that 12 hours would be laughed at. That's the guy who comes unprepared to raid and has to leave half way through because he has work in the morning or is going out or some other thing that shows "lack of commitment".
                  Really it's the players that set up this cult like environment. I find interesting that as a leader of such a guild, he didn't really seem to accept much of the blame for creating such an environment. He acknowledges he fostered just an environment, but in the end, still blames the game for taking so much from him.

This concept is nothing new, and not something that just popped up in MMOGs. I quit a job where my average of 10-12 hours per day was a signal that I had a lack of commitment to the company. The fact that I would not work weekends [that wasn't part of a final push to get product out] labelled me as a dyed-in-the-wool slacker.

As with anything else, it's up to the individual to be lucid enough realize that any aspect of their life is throwing the rest out of balance, and act on it.
                  Last edited by Gentoo; 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM. Reason: clarified a statment

signature by fallenintoshadows

Comment

Working...
                  X