9/11 Rememberance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 Rememberance

My city (Honolulu) had a small ceremony featuring our mayor and congressman as we had a moment of silence and taps played in rememberance on this day. In attendance were the men and women who we call "first responders" and we saluted them for their services.

What did your town/city do today?

It's especially important for me, as I have a brother serving our country in the Air Force and is at the moment in Kuwait, awaiting his first mission into Iraq...

Re: 9/11 Rememberance

I think it's especially important to all Americans, really. My city may have done something, but I really don't know.

Comment

Here in Japan, not many events were (it's already 9/12 here) held at a town/city level, but events such as Charity Concerts were held nationwide.

I was in Boston 5 years ago, and it was and still is very important to me. My roommate's friend was among the victims in the WTC, and many Japanese citizens lost their lives on that day, too. It is important to all citizens of humanity, not just Americans.

And Aeni, May God bless your brave brother.

I pray for the victims who lost their lives in that terrible occurrence, and my sincere sympathy goes to their families.

May God have mercy on their souls. Amen.
      Last edited by bside; 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM.

Comment

To be perfectly honest with you. I don't know that the State of Michigan did anything in rememberance of the event today. Personally I couldn't forget about it!

At the time the 1st plane hit, I was on the phone with a woman at the Verizon building. I heard the noise, and I heard a couple of the people scream in surprised. The building was close enough to feel the impact. She put me on hold, and came back like 90 seconds later saying she had to go. There was some sort of explosion and they were evacuating the building.

At WorldCom we had a few TVs mounted on the walls that for some silly reason always showed the Weather Channel. We switched to CNN, and the call center watched live as the second plan hit. Whole call center was in shock. Probably about 30 people total that time of the morning, everybody's jaw dropped, standing in complete shock.

Our offices near the Pentagon were evacuated as well, and most of the people at our building were sent home as well. It was just surreal to hear the panic in that woman's voice after the 1st hit, and then to watch the second plane.

I remember thinking how the buildings would stand. I kept saying that they were build to handle huge earthquakes and hurricanes, and basically anything that could be thrown at them. They just would never fall. When that first tower toppled I was.... hell I'm still unable to explain how I felt then, or feel about it now. It's not something I'll soon forget, and is something I often recall.

I don't know anybody personally that lost somebody in any of the 9/11 attacks, but my heart goes out to them. This is effected the global community. This isn't just a U.S. tragedy.
        Odude
        PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
        RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
        SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I would have suspected that Texas would have done somthing, but nothing really happened. There was one guy in my dorm who taped a "9/11- Lest we forget" picture to his door and then took it down about five hours later. Honestly, I didn't even think about it until I saw that picture.
          "Oh, you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're Mad."
          "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
          "You must be", said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Welcome to Alice in FFXI =P

Comment

I live in Houston, TX. I don't know of anything that was done here either... I didn't do anything about it myself. Heh.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bside View Post
              It is important to all citizens of humanity, not just Americans.
              Agreed. I just wanted to point out that it's not especially important to just one person.

Comment

Don't know of anything we did here in Lubbock, but I've been thinking about it all day. Helped that the History channel has been doing stuff about it all this week

Can still remember what exactly what I was doing when I heard. Was on my way to school, listening to Bob and Tom when they were talking about it. Thought it was a joke at first, until I got to class. Then, halfway though someone came in and said a second jet had hit the other tower. Just remember almost feeling like it was an out of body experience. That it couldn't be real.
                I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
                  Don't know of anything we did here in Lubbock, but I've been thinking about it all day. Helped that the History channel has been doing stuff about it all this week

Can still remember what exactly what I was doing when I heard. Was on my way to school, listening to Bob and Tom when they were talking about it. Thought it was a joke at first, until I got to class. Then, halfway though someone came in and said a second jet had hit the other tower. Just remember almost feeling like it was an out of body experience. That it couldn't be real.
                  Yeah, I was a freshman in highschool when it happened. My first bell history class. Somebody came in and whispered to the teacher what happened, and then he told the class about the catastophe. Moreover, we watched it when he finished teaching the lesson. (I don't know how anybody can teach with that on their mind, but he was able to do it)

This came as a shock to me personally, as the majority of my family(all 500+ of them) live in New York long island, and many of them commute to New York city. My uncle actually works in the jail across from the Verizano bridge, so he was witnessing it as it actually happened. I'm really glad nobody was hurt from this incident.
                  ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I was at home when it happened. It was a very painful day for me, and while I will never forget it, it's not something that I enjoy talking about (particularly with strangers). I think some people read that as me being cold and insensitive, but their opinions aren't important to me. :/

Comment

i dont know about my state, but alot of the counties in my area held ceramonies. i wen to it in my military uniform. i think i shaked my hands then the president did running for election. then i met up with some old vietnam vets an we held signs out infront of a bar that holds parties each yr for the vets. honk to remember. an let me tell u, nobody forgot.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I also live in Honolulu. I just said a small prayer for those lost.
                        FFXIclopedia page

Comment

I'm not sure how all these tribute helps, and might even hurt depending on a person's state of mind. Though at least it does help pulling things from the subconsciousness into the consciousness.

I didn't attend any of the post events like candlight and all that stuff, didn't really go sensitive to the event.

But I didn't realized how much it effected me till, I finally realized I bummed out after 9/11 for about 2 years, skipping massive classes, ignoring responsibilities, excessively socializing, playing a lot more games(though I probably did that anyway). Even to points where I would skip a final and choose and fail the class(no clue how I could rationalize that at the time, skip 3hr exam after a whole term of class)

Probably something within me got off hinged and went into avoidance mode. I knew I avoid downtown manhattan like a plague.

But of course I live in nyc, visited the area, hanged out at boarders book store(1st level of WTC), shop at J&R, chinatown, etc,etc.

So no matter how indifferent I thought I was, it still kicked me a good one. So I can see how other people are even more sensitive about this stuff. It creeps up on you from the corners of nothingness.

Though with all the media attention, that might be another very controversial blame game. I turn off my TV the whole week of 9/11 every year since, they get so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Vair View Post
                            I would have suspected that Texas would have done somthing, but nothing really happened.
                            Neither Houston nor Lubbock did anything special. I can vouch that probably the biggest thing to happen in Dallas was the broadcasting of the national news. I didn't hear about a speech or a moment of silence or anything.

Comment

To be fair, everyone handles this sort of thing in different ways. Personally, I'm not a fan of big public demonstrations of my grief. The more private, the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X