Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading? (aka The Book Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you currently reading? (aka The Book Thread)

I know that reading isn't exactly the hippest thing to do, but I really enjoy it. I'm currently reading lots of left wing hippie stuff, but what about the rest of you? Current books on the go:

1) No Logo (it's the 10th anniversary, I wonder how relevant it still is)
    2) The Story of Stuff
    3) More Money than Brains
    4) Generation Me
    5) The last book in the Night Angel Trilogy, I can't remember what it's called, haven't picked it up in 2 months =(

For non fiction, I was thinking of picking up something super right wing, anyone have recommendations? And for fiction, I will probably start on the newest Star Wars stuff.
    Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Re: What are you currently reading? (aka The Book Thread)

After finals, I'll probably finish up Burn Before Reading, then 1984 and Manchurian Candidate. After that, I'd have to consult the pile.

Comment

Mein Kampf, really good book (/memoir). I love reading about demented people D:
      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
      Yeah, It’s true.
      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

I read about 400-500 pages anytime I sit down to read so i can rip through books pretty quickly. So the free ebooks on Main Page - Gutenberg are a blessing. Just reread some old favorites recently;

Wuthering Heights
        House of the Seven Gables
        Tale of Two Cities
        The Odyssey
        Essence of Buddhism

Tonight I start a new one...Flash Forward. There is a TV series based on the book but the ratings aren't doing so well and it looks like it might get cancelled. So I better read the book if I want to know how it ends. lol
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Mass Effect: Ascension.

Nandito's nerd skill rises 0.3 points.
          Originally posted by Yygdrasil
          Originally posted by Nandito
          Ponies.

Duh.
          You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

The most recent books I read were two novels by one Kevin Frane, titled Thousand Leaves and The Seventh Chakra. Because you are unlikely to have heard of either unless you participate in certain circles, allow me to explain:

Both books are set within the same universe, but have very few common threads between them. Moreover, while the former was written first, the latter is earlier chronologically, and he is even writing a third book that takes place even earlier than that. Kinda shows how dissimilar the stories have to be to avoid too many huge spoilers between them, I guess. The former is mostly a biological thriller, though the author doesn't apparently do a very good job of hiding his own interests in that one, either. The second one is a secret agent novel, and likewise much more different in tone. Very action-y, and whatnot, and it has the double-purpose of revealing the backstory of one of the minor (but rather important behind-the-scenes) characters from the first novel, an agent for a "Black Ops" sector of a religious organization dedicated to world peace.

My friend picked them both up for me at a convention at the start of this year, and even had them both signed by the author for me (along with his own copies).

Ever since I finished those, I still have headway to make on World War Z and The Family. If I ever get to finishing those, maybe I'll do something less horrific (as in "horror," not saying either is necessarily badly written) next. Assuming I don't find anything less horrific that grabs my attention sooner.
            Originally posted by Armando
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Originally posted by Armando
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

I actually finished World War Z last year and it's a pretty good read. The writing style is nice and varied, pretty easy to get through. I'm by no means a very cultured person, but I would give it a thumbs up.

EDIT: About halfway through Generation Me... what is weird writing style. It's basically just a mishmash of random anecdotal experiences, pop culture references, and statistics jammed together. Feels really disjointed. Good thing it's interesting or I would have stopped reading it already.
              Last edited by Ufgt; 05-14-2010, 06:00 AM.
              Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

Comment

Since a bad seperation, I ahve been reading quite a bit (well was without computer access for a while at home) am currently reading a book by a local Sci-fi author (Peter F Hamilton, lives 50 miles from me) called "The Dreaming Void" [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreaming-Void-Trilogy/dp/033044302X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274269921&sr=8-1]The Dreaming Void (Void Trilogy): Amazon.co.uk: Peter F. Hamilton: Books[/ame]

Comment

I just picked up "Final Fantasy and Philosophy". Should be a fun light read in between all the preachy things that I read.

Burning.

Comment

Ufgt, I really enjoyed the comparisons in that book, some made me smile.

I'm reading King Solomons Mines now. I've been going nuts trying to remember the name of a series of fantasy books that a friend recommended once. Since he's passed away I really can't ask him! All I remember is there were multiple books by the author and they are a fairly popular series in the fantasy genre. The authors name is hovering just outside my range of memory mocking me. I'm either going to remember it unexpectedly in the middle of a meeting or while I'm sleeping. That's usually what happens.
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I really only read Pat Conroy. I've read almost all his books, but I know there are a few more I should really pick up. I feel like re-reading some of the ones I already have.

Comment

I had a bout of nostalgia recently. I remembered reading the Gor series when I was young....around 11. I knew I really liked them and that they were about another world that enslaved people from Earth. So I tracked down the .pdf's and put them on my eReader. WOW.....was I in for a shock! Those were some racey books for a preteen to read!! But I read all 24 (?) books and then found out that he released a few more recently. I couldn't find them though. Nostalgia ftw!

Comment

i am currently reading these posts.
                          A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            Those were some racey books for a preteen to read!

So I wikipedia'd this. "sexual adventure".

Also, "See also: Imaginative Sex".

TGM, you must've been an interesting 11 year old.

Comment

Well the books weren't descriptive. "He moved and made her moan." but not what exactly was moving! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X