This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prominent Place

Thrissur lies on the west end of Palakkad gap through the low pass between the Nilgiris and the Palani hills. It is the beautiful cultural capital of Kerala and a land of colourful festivals. Thrissur, an abbreviation of 'Tiru-Siva-Perur' or the town with the name of Lord Siva, is appropriately named. The central and the most important feature of this city is the Vadakkunath Kshetram (temple) where the reigning deity is Lord Siva. It is particularly famous for its annual Pooram festival (April-May).

Link Removed occupies a prominent place in the history and culture of Kerala and is said to be the Cultural Capital of the State. It is also one of the main trade centers in the state. The present Trichur District was carved out of a bigger District of the same name on 1st April 1958. It derives its name from the location of its headquarters at Trichur.

The name Trichur derives from 'Thrishivaperur' or the place with 'Lord Shiva's name’. The town is thus built around a hillock atop which is the Vadakkumnathan Kshetram or temple, which has Shiva as the presiding deity. Aadi Sankara is supposed to have spent his last days in this temple; a shrine dedicated to him lends credence to this belief.

Trichur rose in importance due, it is believed, to Raja Rama Varma, popularly known as 'Sakthan Thampuran' who ascended the throne of Kochi in 1790. The Zamorins of Kozhikode captured large areas of Trichur in the 14th and 15th centuries. Later, in the latter half of the 18th centuries, Tipu Sultan held sway over Trichur until the European domination began under the Portuguese, the Dutch, and the English.
    Athirapally and Vazhachal Waterfalls

East of Chalakudy, near the entrance to the Sholayar forest ranges, are the beautiful waterfalls of Athirapally and Vazhachal, 5 km apart. These waterfalls are a place of scenic beauty, and are of 80 feet high.
    Last edited by Caspian; 01-17-2009, 06:40 AM.

Re: Prominent Place

Umm . . . okay?
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

That's great and all, but how is this entertainment?

And FYI, don't click the link. There's probably an embedded virus in it.
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

lmao, ad post.

IBTL

Also, what ever happened to new users not being able to post links?
        Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
        Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
        Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
        Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
        Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Closing thread and removing link.
          I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Working...
          X