Getting into music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into music

I'm interested in seeing what exactly got people into the music they're currently listening to. I find it hard to get into new artists presented to me by a friend when the presentation isn't clear enough. Usually I'm hooked by a single song, and if it's similar for you give us a link to youtube or something.

For Abingdon Boys School it was [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItTSWV4h6Kc]this[/ame].

I'll find a little more later.

Re: Getting into music

It various. I read up on music, but sometimes it's something I hear in passing, and like the sound of, or it's something a friend recommends, or it's something I try randomly.

Comment

Mostly FFXI, actually. Before I ever bought FFXI, I watched a lot of videos, there was this one song that just struck me. I later got into anime, one I saw was FLCL. I noticed that song (which I had been looking for forever) was in the show (One Life, for those who care), and was from there able to find the band that did it (the pillows). I downloaded their music, and have been listening to it since. I also used that as a seed for Pandora, and then Last.fm, to find more bands I like. Truly great services.

I've probably found at least ten or twenty bands I really like by using them. Plus, they've basically replaced my downloading habit.

Comment

I remember listening to Blazing Beat and not knowing who the group was. After a while I had to go back and figure out who they were, and now Blazing Beat doesn't even sound that great compared to the rest of their stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqtPCxQj9jo]m. o. v. e.[/ame]

Comment

A lot of friends criticize me for not listening to mainstream stuff, but more often than not, I end up turning them on to new things. The radio does indeed play what they want you to hear and only a handfull of major radio stations out there break that mold. I was rather impressed that the Charlotte station I listened to started taking more chances and breaking format to do some different things. Instead of the generic alternative rock A-Z countdown at the end of they year, they decided "Hey, let's just bring what's in our iPods."

One great way to get into other kinds of music is a publication I used to read call CMJ (College Music Journal), it more or less takes bands that have gotten onto college radio and throws in a mix CD of the bands covered inside the issue, it spans all generes. Another nice feature is rather than "rate" the CDs, the critics there instead give each album a fair shake and note bands that might also strike your fancy if you like the CD reviewed.

Another thing is to just go to local live shows, some bands may not take with you, but after a while, you can find some real winners. Sometimes I found the opening acts to some shows better than the main band I came to see, and that's great.

When I get into a band or singer, I also like to look up thier musical inspirations, which can open new doors into other bands of interest. If you like something like Primus, just as an example, they not only have some of their albums produced by Tom Waits, he's one of thier heroes. He's got a lot of great work. U2 is influenced by Brian Eno, gospel music and The Clash.

This is just a nice way to find your way into liking other bands and potentially expanding your taste. Its also a great way to run up your credit card, so I suggest you still download MP3s to sample first, but if you like em, give it up and pay for the album, support those smaller and older groups.

Comment

I listen to whatever will make me look snooty.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

People still listen to radio? As in, over the air radio?

I listen to whatever will make me look snooty.
              Well, that's probably not a bad idea for you. You couldn't enjoy music anyway, because you don't have a soul.

Comment

People do in fact still listen to the radio.

Comment

I listen to stuff I find randomly. I've gotten pretty big on The Beatles recently, I'm not sure how though, I think it may be from when I was younger and would listen to them in the car.

Comment

Cayde: I highly recommend the white album. Best of their works, imo. Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's are also very good, if different. Although, with the beatles, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                      Cayde: I highly recommend the white album. Best of their works, imo. Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's are also very good, if different. Although, with the beatles, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong.
                      Thank you. I bought 1 due to that being reccomended to me as a first buy, and I am thinking about aquiring their studio albums. I've heard Sgt. Pepper's all the way through, and I really enjoyed it. Remind me of a stage musical for some reason though.

Comment

Ah, I haven't gotten any of the recent ones.

Honestly, though, given all the beatles remixes and covers I've heard in the past few years I don't think I want to. Every single one (with one exception) has been a huge ruining of the work.

The Sgt. Pepper's movie (I know, it's older than a few years, but I only saw it last year) had a version of Because that made me want to kill someone.

Comment

People tell me my taste in music is very strange.

I like soundtracks. Classical Music I'm not a big fan of (some of it is good stuff though), and I HATE country and blues music. Some pop music is alright, and some alternative/rock/metal is good too. Oldies are awesome as well.

I also like anime soundtracks. 4kids sucks out the good Japanese ones (and some of the REALLY good ones in the ones they dub they never release, the bastards) so I'm usually downloading those. Most "children's" animes (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc) have some very nice background music.

Also, Weird Al is ftw imo tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Eiyoko View Post
                            I also like anime soundtracks. 4kids sucks out the good Japanese ones (and some of the REALLY good ones in the ones they dub they never release, the bastards) so I'm usually downloading those. Most "children's" animes (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc) have some very nice background music.
                            Aren't anime soundtracks composed of various artists? Have you ever checked any one of their albums out?

Comment

I appreciate all music.

Except rap.

I refuse to believe that's music.

Slap my hoes and spin my rims.

Kay.

Anyway, I mostly listen to Death Metal / Hardcore / Grindcore / Screamo / Emo / Acoustic and just random guitar solos from Van Halen or Hendrix. I don't know what got me into it, I guess I started off with the basic 3 Doors Down and craved more hardcore music over time.

Also, I listen to Vangalis and Beethoven alot because they're brilliant.
                              In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                              And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                              Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                              Yeah, It’s true.
                              It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Working...
                              X