• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Waah! Waaah! Pay attention to meeee!" -Micheal Moore

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumo...one_moore.html

I seriously lol'd.

Re: "Waah! Waaah! Pay attention to meeee!" -Micheal Moore

Moore is a butt-wipe... reused even. The article is merely marketing for his stupid movie which will be, as usual, over-blown, long-winded, asinine in it's blindness, and weak on real content. Moore makes libero-communist propaganda films. I see them all, but I never pay ticket price.

Comment

Re: "Waah! Waaah! Pay attention to meeee!" -Micheal Moore

Someone care to explain to me how the release of a phone can distract people from another one of Moore's just AWESOME documentaries? </sarcasm>

Seriously though, I don't get the logic here... last I checked, you can both

a) buy a new cell phone
      and
      b) watch a [bad] movie

all in the same day... more than one [bad] movie, actually, depending on just how much it sucks.
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Re: &quot;Waah! Waaah! Pay attention to meeee!&quot; -Micheal Moore

I don't know, he does have some good points in his movies. I still take them with a grain of salt mind you, but there was this one lady who wasn't covered her insurance for the ambulance trip to the hospital and was charged some obscene amount of money.

Why? Apparently she wasn't "Pre-approved" for it. Well WTF is that?! According to moore the USA is also the only country (out of a 34 I think) where money comes into the equation (at least as a major factor; I can't recall exactly what he said)

And it's true to an extent. Here in Canada we more or less have free health care. There are still things we have to pay for of course, but you don't have to go and pay $50 or w/e just for a simple check up. All you need is your OHIP (or w/e province you're in) card.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

U.S. health care system is an easy target for criticism; we don't really need more of Moore on that subject. We need leaders who can unite the public and propose a realistic solution, and guide the country in its implementation.

The real problem is cost, and the current patchwork of free market forces and piecemeal governmental regulation are not working. Ordinary people and their politicians want to force insurance/HMO/PPO to cover more drugs, testings, procedures, and people, hiking up the cost without limit. Those companies want to cut cost--but to the benefit of their shareholders, not for passing on the saving to the public or applying resources to improve overall health of the society.

The biggest potential cost saving is in preventative care--but which politician would dare to propose imposing substantial, punitive fines on people not taking annual checkups? For not losing excessive weight? For not checking into rehab for chemical dependency problems?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Lot's of other substantive issues need real discussion, and, frankly, brutal honesty. For example:

The majority of our society's health care resources should be dedicated to maintaining productive, responsible working age adults and the children who will grow into such adults--not in extending lives of old smokers or replacing shriveled livers of alcohol abusers. Also, the outliers--those rare diseases affecting small number of people--should have resource for research not from the government's health budget, but from charities with structural support from our universities.

Yes, I'm proposing letting a few--quite a few people die without throwing government money at them, to save the bulk of the resources for keeping the healthy people in good condition. Harsh? Maybe, but it is the most logical move when resource is scarce.

There are others I can list. None of which is really appropriate for the Moore style films; there are serious, and often painful decisions to be made to rationalize our health care system. Flippant, mocking documentaries typical of his work would only harden attitudes and stall the movement toward real solutions.

I am not looking forward to this work, even though I appreciate Moore's ability and passion as a film maker. =/
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

If the government provided health care, it wouldn't be free. It would mean higher taxes, i.e. you're paying for it. You're paying for everyone & yourself.

If you're fine with paying higher taxes so that medicare is covered, good for you. But nobody with either opinion (yes/no) should think that it is "free".
            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

now, this is not a thread to debate health care. We are here to mock a fat guy. Don't ruin this.

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
                But nobody with either opinion (yes/no) should think that it is "free".
                I seriously doubt anyone who has given these subjects serious thoughts would say health care can be provided for "free".

- Mugaku

Comment

I like Micheal Moore. His movies were good eye-opener, as long as you don't just believe everything 100%.
                  There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                  but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                  transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I recall hearing about a group of guys wanting to make a documentary about how great and unbiased Michael Moore is. During their research they quit halfway through when they realized he distorted the truth and gave incredibly lopsided views.

As for medical care. I've worked in healthcare for nearly 8 years. I have to say I hate HMO's and the bureaucracy of it all, but its MUCH better than it would be if it were all provided by the government. I know we have a lot of people from europe and canada who are used to "free" healthcare, but what you don't hear is how subpar the medical care is there. Its not awful, but honestly, the U.S. has some of the best medical care on earth. Free-market competition gets the best providers and provides the best health care. Feel free to flame, I'm sure there are exceptions, and I've met my fair share of stupid asshole doctors and incompetent nurses, but as a rule I'll stand by what I said.

Btw, Michael Moore is a moron. I am confused why he even still lives in the U.S. Everything he claims to hate here is the opposite in Europe, atleast for the most part. I wonder why he stays. Maybe its the huge sums of money he wouldn't make anywhere else. Either that, or if he moved somewhere else he wouldn't be able to complain and he would implode.
                    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

I know we have a lot of people from europe and canada who are used to "free" healthcare, but what you don't hear is how subpar the medical care is there. Its not awful, but honestly, the U.S. has some of the best medical care on earth

That is so freaking true. Yes, our (Canada's) health care is pretty good, but the over all quality of the USA's system is better. The sad part is it comes at a rather hefty price to the individual. Our taxes are generally much higher than what you guys are used to.

I freaked when I last visited my relatives down in Virginia. They were only paying something like 4% on their purchases. In Onatrio, there's a PST and a GST (I forget which % is which) of 7 and 7 I think it is now (it was 7 and 8 until Harper took power and lowered the GST I believe by 1%).

That's a crapload of tax money going to our Government (who IMO, could be spending it in so many better ways dear god... but that's a whole other beast and not the topic of this discussion)

I personally am I in favor of Ifrit's notion. I also think that proper, preventative measures should be enforced to keep over all health costs down. It would save a lot of money and really, North America (USA especially) has a major issue with poor nutrition and exercise.

Yes, I will admit that I eat and game too much, and it's not that I wouldn't like to change that, I just don't have much incentive really despite knowing better. That said, I really wouldn't mind if one day the government started regulating the overall health of the country. The only issue I can see really is the cost of that.

It's just not practical financially, and you'd technically be infringing on people's rights. Something has to be done though that's for damn sure. The fast food industry racks in entirely too much money from people with no self control. Don't get me started on the pharmaceutical companies...

When was the last time we cured something? Do scientists seriously expect us to believe there's no cure for the common cold? It's like Chris Rock said in his first HBO special... "We can build space ships that can stand atmospheric re-entry, but we can't build a car that lasts more than 4 years."

Damn capitalism's short comings.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Micheal Moore sucks. Talking about healthcare when he's a fat ass bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrgsubzero View Post
                          Micheal Moore sucks. Talking about healthcare when he's a fat ass bastard.
                          you can still be fat and healthy lol....but yeah I agree Micheal Moore is sooooo overrated dude! like OMG!
                          "You can do anything that you put your mind to, you just got to try and never give up!"

Comment

Universal healthcare is one of the best things my government (Australia that is) wastes my tax dollars on. Unfortunately the current mob are trying to destroy it in favour of an American style private system. I'm completely in shock at some of the things in Sicko, such as a fully insured 2 year old child dying as a result of refused emergency room access as the hospital didn't have a special deal with their insurance company.

Moore's works are generally a heavily biased one sided debate that tends to gloss over any counter arguments, but the same can be said for most documentaries. He does shine a light on issues that are worthy of consideration in their own right though, and that's a good thing in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nazlfrag View Post
                              He does shine a light on issues that are worthy of consideration in their own right though, and that's a good thing in and of itself.
                              The main problem I have with Moore's work is that his biased POV is often very persuasive to a certain population segment, which radicalize them and, make them umm.... well, as hard-headed as those free-market zealots. (As much as I roll my eyes at the "market fixes all" people, radical groups of any sort make my head hurt. x_x )

The problem is already nearly intractable, and absolutely without any possibility of a perfect solution. The only thing an unwillingness to compromise would do is to keep the status quo longer--a broken health system which keep sucking up greater and greater percentage of the national GDP.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                              X