Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    I remember an early TNG episode where a comatose Picard showed up in shuttle and it had something to do with him coming back and time and ended up saving the Enterprise. Something I read said that basically everything that happened after that point occured in an alternate timeline. Then there's the whole last ep of TNG where it was all time traveling and changing timelines and whatnot.
    As for the first movie uniforms... jumpsuits ftw. I believe those are about the ugliest things I've ever seen.

    Leave a comment:


  • Raydeus
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by fastcart View Post
    Rick Berman or some other Star Trek big wig also gave an excuse like "Since the Enterprise-E had gone back in time, it's and the crew's presence affected the timeline." This was in response to why Archer's ship looked more TNGish in style than TOS. Same could be said for uniforms I guess.
    It would actually make sense, (in an imaginary setting) if the person who designed the first machine capable of flying would simply watch a 747 he/she would definitely get an idea or two that would affect their original design.


    Too bad Berman and all the other morons aren't that wise, and that's just an excuse pulled out of their... imaginations.

    Had someone really gave a thought about that sort of things Enterprise would've been 10 times better.
    Last edited by Raydeus; 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • fastcart
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Bah! It's a TV show. They can easily say alternate timeline has stated from when Enterprise-E appeared back in the past. So, they can say:

    1) TOS happened they way we saw it, then First Contact happened and TOS re-happened with a different looking ship and uniforms. But, the history will still be the same. Hell, remember the uniform changed after the first Star Trek movie?
    2) Something happened after the Enterprises series that will cause TOS to happen the way we saw it. They mucked with timelines in that series like no ones business.

    Doesn't really matter though... d: It's a TV sow like I said.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Sooooo....TOS didnt happen like we saw it?

    Leave a comment:


  • fastcart
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    The Enterprise comes, "Let's beam down and wear baseball caps and jumpsuits."
    Right. How does that explain the very 60s fashion sense of the orgin. ... But still, when did all the chicks get issued the miniskirts? When did that become Startfleet regulation?
    Rick Berman or some other Star Trek big wig also gave an excuse like "Since the Enterprise-E had gone back in time, it's and the crew's presence affected the timeline." This was in response to why Archer's ship looked more TNGish in style than TOS. Same could be said for uniforms I guess.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by Caspian View Post
    Lol, I recall reading about that whole thing. Roddenberry explained it by saying the Klingons from TOS were the Eastern Klingons and those in all other series were the Western Klingons.
    Yeah, between the two anniversery episodes, the DS9 was the best of them, it was one of my favorite Star Trek episodes ("Trouble with Tribbles," "Cause and Effect" and "City on the Edge of Forever" are the others) even if they heavily Forrest Gumped it by inserting characters into the old scenes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Well, OK, Whorf never really explained where the Klingon forhead ridges came from in "Trials and Tribblations" ("My people do not speak of it.")
    Lol, I recall reading about that whole thing. Roddenberry explained it by saying the Klingons from TOS were the Eastern Klingons and those in all other series were the Western Klingons.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    I thought the cast and character concepts for Enterprise were solid, its just the writing and the way it was forced into the ST timeline was totally stupid. First Contact bridged the void to the first series, we got to see how humans made contact with the Vulcans and know the Federation and starfleet grew from there.

    The Enterprise comes, "Let's beam down and wear baseball caps and jumpsuits."

    Right. How does that explain the very 60s fashion sense of the orginal series? Besides the fact the original series was on television back then.

    Well, OK, Whorf never really explained where the Klingon forhead ridges came from in "Trials and Tribblations" ("My people do not speak of it.") But still, when did all the chicks get issued the miniskirts? When did that become Startfleet regulation?

    Leave a comment:


  • Caspian
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Can't say I ever watched an episode of Enterprise, but supposedly it got pretty good in its last season, but by that point it was already in the grave and it had been decided to end the series. When I was a kid I really liked TNG and Voyager to a lesser extent. I'll still watch it occasionally, but I have to agree they need to shelf the entire universe for a while and quit trying to make a quick buck off of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Akashimo
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
    S
    One thing is certain in my mind though, Enterprise was the worst series and it wasn't at all because of the cast, but rather about the incredibly dumb writting.
    . . .
    but I just wish they stopped treating ST movies like crappy 2hr+ special episodes (and at least included all the deleted scenes from the movies in the DVD (BD!) version).
    (Although Nemesis' Enterprise + 2 Valdores VS the Scimitar fight rocked )
    I stopped watching ENT after like the fifth episode just cause of the writing. Even the opening theme turned me away from it x.x
    Though Enterprise-E looks way sweet ^.^
    Lets see a 3 hour ST movie for a change! >_>; More indepth, more with writers from TNG, DS9, VOY, even cannon/non-cannon novel writers, vid-game writers and swift through threads about any of the series from all forumns by a google search. Come on, Paramount should be dishing out all the stops for ST, and to make up for ENT failure(having been cancelled). <.<; we need something to look insanely forward too without the thoughts of "prequal" that makes us think ENT.

    Leave a comment:


  • Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    Kirk graduated 2254
    Spock graduated Graduated 2253, but was a cadet assigned to the Enterprise from 2252 on
    McCoy never graduated the Academy, he went to med school and was commissioned after practicing privately.
    A story could easily be written around it. I think it fair to believe placing a fresh, new guy in charge will force them to take the writing and universe of the story very seriously. I mean, its not like they put Uwe Boll or Joel Shumaker in charge here.

    Berman became a hack writer on par with those hacks. He was out of touch. I mean, its pretty bad when you have Brent Spiner writing himself out of the mythos (granted he's a bit old to be Data now, but the Hollywood makeup chair works wonders). Berman even pissed off Patrick Stewart, lied about Stewart's interests in reprising the Picard role.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-28-2007, 05:55 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Raydeus
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Since I'm a TNG/DS9 kinda guy I don't know what to think about this movie.

    One thing is certain in my mind though, Enterprise was the worst series and it wasn't at all because of the cast, but rather about the incredibly dumb writting.

    Bakula had the presence to make a great captain but the writting killed his character. Seriously, this is the captain that made it all happen, the hero who made the federation possible, in short, Archer had the potential to be THE Captain.

    Such a waste really pisses me off.

    Which makes me be very skeptical about this whole prequel thing.



    Also, I agree with Kitty, another movie in the TNG/DS9 period would be a good thing to watch, but I just wish they stopped treating ST movies like crappy 2hr+ special episodes (and at least included all the deleted scenes from the movies in the DVD (BD!) version).


    (Although Nemesis' Enterprise + 2 Valdores VS the Scimitar fight rocked )

    Leave a comment:


  • Akashimo
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Honestly, I don't really see a good reason for them to do prequals the way they are. Enterpise itself was a failure and I'm not liking the idea to follow this idea for the big screen. First Contact and Generation were the best from TNG while Nemesis and Insurrection weren't all mind catching to remember(actually had to look up these 2 cause I couldn't remember their names@.@ ). First Contact had to be the most repeated movie on TV out of all 4 recent ones for TNG aswell. If anything, really would be nice to see a VOY or DS9 or some strange, yet very ST combination of those series for the next movie. Or how about more into how and why the borg came to be outside of fan speculation. And inclued plenty of 7 of 9 scenes щ(゚Д゚щ) (*´Д`) Then again, thats just my two dilithium crystals. I'm a fan not a director.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mhurron
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    They really just need to put Star Trek on the shelf and let it rest for a moment.

    This is yet another outing by Paramount to attempt to make money off of what they hope are stupid fans by creating something that ignores all that came before it.

    Yes it's supposed to be a prequel with at least Kirk, Spock and McCoy during their first meetings at Startfleet academy, however from previous stories:

    Kirk graduated 2254
    Spock graduated Graduated 2253, but was a cadet assigned to the Enterprise from 2252 on
    McCoy never graduated the Academy, he went to med school and was commissioned after practicing privately.

    Leave a comment:


  • raidenn
    replied
    Re: Star Trek XI (2008) Christmas Day

    Bet we'll see Kirk without his shirt off near the ending of the movie...

    Also expect some unknown Ensign or Ensigns to die...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X