This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonultrapopular music

I enjoy every genre of music that I know of so far. I was wondering if some of you out there could recommend some good bands. I don't like all the mainstream stuff, its all gimmicks and one band tends to be exactly like the other bands.

Like rap, I really like rap, but I don't want to hear about the stereotypical rap stuff, like sex, cars, shoes, you know.

Aslo like country music. I don't listen to the stuff on the radio. I like the old stuff. It seems like people singing now go out of their way to have as much of a southern accent in what they sing as they can. If you are really singing, people listening won't hear the accent as much as if you were talking. The same for british bands, you don't really really notice the accent until they talk. Mainly listening to blugrass, really love it.

Basically any type of music bands that you can recommend well be greatly appreciated. Any genre is welcome. I just want something that has more meaningful lyrics than what is on the radios.

I'll name a some music that I like, in no specific order.

Allison Kraus
    Incubus (their older stuff, don't like the new stuff)
    A Perfect Circle (old stuff good, new cd i don't care for)
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Louis Armstrong
    Frank Sinatra
    Smashing Pumkins (haven't heard all their cd's yet)
    Cowboy Bebop Original Soundtrack
    Berserk OST
    Hellsing OST
    FF music
    Radiohead (don't have much of their music as well)
    Modest Mouse (they are really different, have some jazz in them)

White Stripes (wish they had a bassist, Jack reminds me of Robert Plant. They have an older style)

Samurai X OST
    Bob Marley
    The Cure (like what I have heard)
    Norah Jones (beautiful voice)

Many other bands, just can't think of em
    Peace is a dream flying on gossamer wings. You can surely attain peace. But, the only way is through the grave.

The Mars Volta

Comment

I'm a fan of a pretty wide array of bands, some bigtime mainstream, some not as much...

Live
      U2
      Radiohead
      Duran Duran
      The Cure
      Bush
      Rage Against the Machine
      System of a Down
      A Perfect Circle
      Tool
      Boa
      Coldplay
      Collective Soul
      Cake
      Counting Crows
      Tonic
      Weezer
      Utada Hikaru
      Gorillaz
      Koda Kumi
      The White Stripes
      The Vines
      The Cranberries
      The Prodigy
      The Tragically Hip
      Billy Talent
      Tricky
      Soundgarden
      Staind
      Stone Temple Pilots
      Depeche Mode
      Incubus
      Linkin Park
      Remy Zero
      Red Hot Chili Peppers
      Franz Ferdinand
      The Killers
      At the Drive In
      The Network
      Nine Inch Nails
      Beastie Boys
      Ayumi Hamasaki

...and others....
      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

The Mars Volta is a really good band, props to TheMidg for mentioning them. If you like them you should also check out At the Drive In. One of my personal favorite bands is Deftones(some people think they are main stream, but try listening to some of their older albums). Another band I'm obligated to mention is 'You Will Know us by the Trail of Dead' cause they are from my home town of Austin, Tx. A couple other bands that are really good that I dont think deserve enough credit: Dredg is awesome, they know how to jam out and their drummer is really good. Glassjaw is also good, its pretty hard music but its a very unique style.
        Typho - Elvaan - San d'Oria - Rank 10 - Titan

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

Coheed and Cambria Look em up...

PLD75| BLM42| WAR37| DRK30| THF25| WHM25| NIN22| MNK20| BST10|

Comment

I listen to pretty much all of the stuff you listed Pai Pai Master. There are a few I haven't, but I'm going to check em out.

I also like the other bands that have been recommended, some really good music.

Anyone know some good rap?
            Peace is a dream flying on gossamer wings. You can surely attain peace. But, the only way is through the grave.

Comment

If you're interested in listening to some good old salsa... I recommend Frankie Ruiz, Willy Chirino, Oscar D' Leon, Celia Cruz and much more. Let me know If you enjoy it.

Comment

I don't have any salsa music. I'll check em out at tell you what I think ^_^

Comment

My favorite songs would have to be,

1. Mi Libertad
                  2. Vuelvo Nacer
                  3. Hablame
                  4. Entre Fuego y la Pared
                  5. Tu Eres
                  6. Me Faltas
                  7. Nunca te quedas

Frankie Ruiz sings all these songs.

Comment

If you like A Perfect Circle's old albums, I suggest getting some Tool. Same lead singer for both bands. Tool's a bit harder, but nothing like the new APC CD (Which I agree with you, big disapointment). I suggest ænima or Lateralus CDs first.

Another band not mentioned yet is 30 Second to Mars. They're Progressive Rock, and they're first CD (Selftitled) was amazing (Was released nearly 3 years ago). They have a very original sound and good original lyrics. Their second CD (A Beutiful Lie) is set to release this summer.
                    JohNNY

Comment

Flogging Molly (I named my mule after them)
                      Tenacious D (Tribute and Wonderboy are good songs)
                      Stratovarius

Stratovarius has an amazing guitar player, if u can listen to Speed of Light, he plays SO fast. The singer is kinda annoying tho

Also Alter Bridge (what was once Creed) actually aren't half bad. Mark Tremonti is an awesome guitarist.
                      www.sockbaby.com

Gaze upon its glory.

Comment

I listen to Tool also, dunno why I didn't put it on the list, lol. I can't wait to hear their new cd also wanna hear em in concert. Do you know how the cd is supposed to sound like? Been to busy to check their website.

I'll check out Flogging Molly and Stratovarius. Heard of Flogging Molly but not Stratovarius. I like those Tenacious D songs as well, they're good.

I didn't like Creed and I also don't like Alter Bridge, but thats just me, lol.

I've remember the name 30 Seconds to Mars, but I can't say for sure if I've heard their music, I'll check that out as well.

I just have to find the time to check out all these bands, lol.

Btw, I don't listen to the radio anymore, since it caters to the general public. Playing the same old same old, lol. They play the most popular music, which I don't really blame them, b/c they are supposed to be enjoyable to pretty much everything. But I can only listen to Stairway to Heaven on the so many times, wish they would play some of there other great songs. That applies to everything else I listen to.

Comment

Hmm, I listen to:

ACDC
                          A Perfect Circle
                          Black Sabbath
                          Blind Guardian (A Power Metal band from Germany, but sing in English. Not popular in NA but check them out)
                          Depeche Mode
                          Fear Factory (Their Electronic Metal years are the best)
                          Gorillaz
                          Guns N' Roses
                          Incubus
                          Jimi Hendrix
                          Led Zepplin (Though they are a bit overrated)
                          Neil Young
                          Nine Inch Nails
                          Nirvana
                          NoFX
                          Ozzy Osbourne
                          Pink Floyd
                          Rolling Stones
                          Soundgarden
                          System of a Down
                          The Clash
                          The Ramones
                          The Tragically Hip
                          Tom Petty

There are more but too lazy to list them all.

Comment

Alkaline Trio (especially the new cd- Crimson)
                            Rilo Kiley
                            Bright Eyes (now its starting to be pretty popular, its a shame really)
                            Placebo
                            Tsunami Bomb (ska)
                            Tegan and Sara
                            Pretty Girls Make Graves

Those are some of the lesser heard ones I listen to, check em out.
                            Twilightrose- THF/49 WAR/24 WHM/53 BLM/32 RNG/15 BST/25 NIN/27

Comment

Old ass thread I'm sure, haven't been to this site in ages, but I have to go with Midg and Ibroyles, TMV is the most amazing band ever. (ATD-I is my second fave btw ) People always seem to bitch about TMV sometimes singing in Spanish, but if you can't understand it (I can't speak a word of it) and that bothers you, then thats your problem and you're missing out. Prog bands (I know Omar hates being called a prog band but w/e) never get played on the radio enough, (songs too long?) but can always prove that there are people out there who still have a clue what they are doing with their guitars, basses, drums, synths etc. instead of 4 power chord songs that are less than 3 minutes long (Let alone 32 minutes) and don't have any solo's.

fk yes

Comment

Working...
                              X