Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Yeah I got my stuff from overclockers.co.uk, a store that I live 8km away from so I can very easily pick it up directly from the warehouse and save a lot of money on shipping and potentially being at work when its delivered. They also use DHL as a courier who are notorious for breaking things.

They do have some great bundles though and do have some great custom PC build choices. Plus if you order something overclocked then they do perform a lot of stress testing and actually make sure that it's stable before calling you. Basically I don't mind paying a little extra to have them build it for me due to the customer service and support being pretty good, and build quality always being great.
    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
    Reiko Takahashi
    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Customer Service is always an important but often overlooked factor. Sometimes you truly do get what you pay for as so often when you get something really cheap, you have to ask yourself how can they do so and turn a profit. Often times it might be because they (know) about a bad batch that they have in possession and want to get rid of it on unsuspecting people. They are banking on the fact that there are a good amount of people out there that do not send back defective products, that just take the loss, say they will never shop again at the place (but the store don't care, especially if they're online, cause they got millions of "suckers" to lick their shit-stained lolipops)

Comment

I think incompetence is always the more likely explanation. Being malicious takes effort and people are lazy.
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

As a general rule I always assume inexperience before incompetence, and incompetence before malice. Well at least the first time it happens anyway.

That said if someone is genuinely new and inexperienced, I am more willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
          Reiko Takahashi
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
            New PC Ordered:

- Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Enthusiast - Black
            - Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series 600w PSU
            - CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.50GHz @ 4.2GHz Quad Core Haswell CPU
            - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
            - Cooler: Akasa Nero 3 V2 CPU Cooler
            - RAM: 8GB Kingston Genesis DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
            - Primary Hard Drive: Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s
            - Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
            - Graphics Card: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Total cost is £1029 ($1668) including VAT (at 20%) and copy of Windows 7

Yeah we get gouged on prices compared to the US.
            It arrived today. And with three packets of Haribo ^_^
            Reiko Takahashi
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Firewind, how much did you pay for the 760? Yesterday, I noticed that a report circulated about nVidia's price drop on their 770. I went to check and saw that the 4GB 770 dropped from $450 to $390, while the 2GB 770 dropped from $399 to $309. Maybe you can return that 760 and get a 770 instead?

Comment

Woah, that's a hell of a good deal on the 2 GB.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I'm not 100% sure. Basically they offer a base rig and you add whatever upgrades you want to it so I'm not sure how much was factored into the base price.
                  Reiko Takahashi
                  Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                    I'm not 100% sure. Basically they offer a base rig and you add whatever upgrades you want to it so I'm not sure how much was factored into the base price.

You could eBay the card and see if you can get something out of it and buy a 770 straight up, but then again, I'm not sure what your budget is and how much you care about having to upgrade your graphics card (e.g., if you want to wait at least 3 years before upgrading it, rather than doing it every year)

Comment

I picked the 760 on a strictly Price/Performance basis. The diminishing returns on a 770 or Titan would have been too great really for the extra cash.

I do plan to regularly upgrade my hardware though since the new job pays well enough for me to do that, which is why I went for Price/Performance and a Motherboard that is safe for a few years.

Honestly I would have just sprung for a Titan if I wanted to go for the best of everything but I prefer to get the best performance out of each Dollar.
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                      X