Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Can't you put a piece of U shaped trunking down the centre and paint it to match the wall?

Comment

OK. This is really starting to piss me off.

I have 2 monitors... and as some of you from D&D know, After the most recent update to the AMD drivers for Catalyst Control Center, my second monitor is no longer recognized by the graphics card. Any ideas? If I roll back the driver for the card, suddenly everything works fine. If I update again, restart the PC and try to ask CCC to detect it, it's not there.

I use Viewsonic Monitors for my displays and both monitors are currently hooked up using VGA cables.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
      99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
      99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

rollback and hope for a fix to come in the near future.

be grateful you CAN rollback though... that's one thing I absolutely hate about nVidia lately, their drivers are installed in such a way that you can't roll them back without removing them entirely first >_<
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
          OK. This is really starting to piss me off.

I have 2 monitors... and as some of you from D&D know, After the most recent update to the AMD drivers for Catalyst Control Center, my second monitor is no longer recognized by the graphics card. Any ideas? If I roll back the driver for the card, suddenly everything works fine. If I update again, restart the PC and try to ask CCC to detect it, it's not there.

I use Viewsonic Monitors for my displays and both monitors are currently hooked up using VGA cables.
          Have you checked to make sure it's plugged in?
          75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
          RANK 10 Bastok
          CoP: Done
          ZM: Done
          ToA: Done
          Assault rank: Captain
          Campaign Medal: Medals
          Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
          This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
            Have you checked to make sure it's plugged in?
            This guy.

Haswell is out, by the way.

Comment

Yeah it's June.

The GTX 770 should also be out now as well, I wanna see how it stacks up vs the 780 - and perhaps more importantly how much it costs.

EDIT: Intel Haswell Makes Its Debut: Core i7-4770K Review - TechSpot

Really, REALLY glad I held off a bit more on my new PC - the new Haswell i-7's cost the same as what I would have paid for the 3700-series I had marked, which means i would have gotten hosed. Seems only the i5 and i7 models are out, the new i3's are later this year.

EDIT: AnandTech | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Review: The $400 Fight

Double WIN! The 770 is priced at the same range as the 670, which has been the best card on the market for power-per-dollar. so, do I spring or 770, or nab a cheap 670 now...
              Last edited by Malacite; 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

OK so I need some help here.

I just got my Avermedia Live Gamer Portable, as it was on sale and today was the last day but I got a new quote with updated parts and my rig is considerably more expensive now, but I feel it's gonna be worth it in the long run (for what I plan to do with it).

The guy said nViida cards are better for streaming, but that ATI is better for video editing/rendering and that I should go with a Sapphire 7950. I was really leaning on either the GTX 770, or a 670 when they go on clearance but .... well, I want to be sure I'm getting the right card for my purposes - gaming, streaming, and making youtube videos.
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds like broscience. Choose the card you want.

Comment

Yeah my current rig all told (after taxes) is closing in on 2~2.2k which is really pushing it for me, future proofing or not.

I dunno, I can hold off on it for a while still - see what I get around boxing day maybe but December is a long ways off - but at least for now I have my capture card ^_^

Plus I might be getting a PS4, I got all kinds of other expenses coming up as well that I really can't skimp out on so yeah... looking for work sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

And now a whole new can of worms has been opened and idk what I'm doing anymore :/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-s-Steamroller-To-Be-Faster-than-Intel-Haswell-289980.shtml
                    sigpic

Comment

what are you getting that's pushing it over 2k? That seems a bit much unless you're buying a fresh OS.
                      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                      Name: Drjones
                      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

And now there's more crazy stuff on the way, like SATA-Express... starting to think right now's actually the *worst* time to rig up a new PC as there is so much new tech due out next year.

Um, I'm probably getting overcharged here on some stuff but I'm not committing to a buy yet anyways - especially in revelation of some of my research today.

$369 for the i7-4770K

$79.99 for the BD Writer

$100 for Seagate Barracyda 2TB HDD

$184.99 for Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

$129.99 Corsir Vengeance Low Profile 16GB @1600Mhz

$154.99 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD

$319 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

and then system build labor, taxes, and stupid environmental fee makes it about $1600, but then tack on an 800W power supply and large tower goes up to around 2k
                        sigpic

Comment

So a $400 power supply.
                          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                          Name: Drjones
                          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Nah the tower's like $180 I think
                            sigpic

Comment

Microcenter. If you're lucky enough to live near one, it is the place to buy a CPU and Mobo due to their constant bundle deals. It's also a general all-around good computer store.

Sadly, only in US and not many locations at that.
                              Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                              Originally posted by Nandito
                              Ponies.

Duh.
                              You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

If I'm correct, you live somewhere in Alberta don't you Mal? Try Memoryexpress. They offer some pretty sweet deals sometimes. A few of my co-workers have had computers built by them and I haven't heard any complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X