Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    I fully approve of your choice of case. It has served me remarkably well.
    I am addicted to organizing and hiding wires.

Also: Anything short of a full size case and you're just doin' it wrong. Mid cases never fit everything well... and frequently overheat on me due to restrictive airflow. This one just looks irresistibly functional and sexy all at the same time. I was originally looking at the NQ model until Newegg was all "Oh you like that, huh? Well then how about the upgrade? WHABAM!!!" and I was all "Oh snap".

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Yeah, after using that case I don't think I could ever go back to mid tower cases. The last mid tower case I owned had all sorts of overheating and air flow issues. I could not keep that thing under 70°C no matter what I did and it would spike up towards 80°C if I didn't dust it all out regularly.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Yeah. Never again. The case is one thing I refuse to skimp on. I'm not going CRAZY, but my budget was 200 for that piece alone.

Comment

Plus a good case can last you through several builds.
          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
          Name: Drjones
          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

^^

Comment

Hmm, good to know, I think I'll swap that in for mine :O

Nothing in my new PC build is finalized yet (other than Windows 7 I mean, that's not changing regardless)
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Yeah. Windows 8 can kiss my ass. No way in hell I'm using that wonky-ass OS or it's equally wonky UI.

Comment

It's honestly not THAT bad - if you're using a tablet.

But for a desktop? Hellz to the no.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
                    I was looking for a new Laptop for work which could also play FFXIV if I wanted to. Was looking at this one from Novatech in the UK. The Novatech Elite N1535
                    Go for it. This is the only laptop I can find with the exact same specs, and the one you found costs less even when OS is factored in! Plus you can choose not to have Windows 8!

MSI GE60 0NC-622UK Gaming Laptop, 15.6" LED Intel I7-3630QM, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, NVIDIA GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 Graphics, Windows 8 - Black [GE60 0NC-622UK]

I can't see anything wrong with it and the reviews below contain a lot of good information.
                    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

cant have windows 8 as cad software not compatiblle with it my pc is a barebones bundle I completed from Novatech and the one before that, their a good company getting a new monitor from them as well soon LG 24EA53VG 24 Inch IPS Panel HD LED Monitor | 24EA53VQ

Comment

Yeah, Overclockers are based in Stoke-on-Trent, which makes me more biased towards them since I get to support a local company and I can simply pop in to the store when I want to order things and pick them up myself. Still despite that Novatech's prices are making me seriously consider them for my next computer.

The Novatech Black NTA12

I really wish I could afford PC upgrades right now because that build would really suit my needs very well. That and Overclockers would want about £200 more for a PC of the same specifications. Sure the RAM would want upgrading to something faster but RAM is cheap and easy to replace so it is a minor thing.

Amazon are really good for monitors too. It's worth checking out the sellers on there.
                        Reiko Takahashi
                        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I have yet to bargin with Novatech I always knock them down a bit on price considering I'll be buying as a business though still have to pay vat. If I buy laptiop and monitor together might be able to get 50 quid off the cost.

Comment

That is one nice thing about being able to go into a store in person. You can haggle with one of the managers.

The markup on a lot of items is bloody ridiculous so nine times out of ten they pretend to go into the back, then come out with a slightly lower price so you can pretend you "won".

That said best conversation I ever had trying to get the price down for something at a store was when buying a laptop at university:

Store Assistant: Okay so with the money knocked off that will be [price (I honestly forgot what the price was because I didn't buy, see below)]. Can I interest you in an extended warranty?
                            Me: Given that I can claim on insurance and it has a twelve month manufacturer's warranty? No.
                            Assistant: Oh this won't last any longer than twelve months
                            Me: See you *leaves the store*
                            Reiko Takahashi
                            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
                              I am addicted to organizing and hiding wires.
                              I wish I had any amount of talent with cable management. I couldn't make them look good to save my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                                I wish I had any amount of talent with cable management. I couldn't make them look good to save my life.
                                I am 100% in the same boat. So much so, that this weekend the wife and I had a discussion, and her main point was that in our next house, she wants to have: the tv mounted, the side speakers, and no wires showing, LOL... I said ok... But that is NOT what we have now. It looks so bad (to her) I guess that she felt like she had to point it out that in our next house, it won't be like that...
                                75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                                RANK 10 Bastok
                                CoP: Done
                                ZM: Done
                                ToA: Done
                                Assault rank: Captain
                                Campaign Medal: Medals
                                Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                                This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X