Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Ok guys... help me out here. I want to build the best PC possible (for gaming) and keep the cost under a grand. I'm buying all new everything and building from the ground up. Help me find the best possible combination out there.

I'm looking myself.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Under 1k? That's gonna be a challenge but OK.

Definitely go for an i5 then, or AMD equivalent. Not sure on exact models but you can probably swing an x79 model MOBO. 8~12 GB RAM, nVidia 650, 80~120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD... hmm.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I don't believe in budget gaming PCs. I think they're a fairy tale.
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

^ ditto. In part because it really can't be helped, but also because you're hurting yourself in the long run if you skimp out on the important pieces.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
            Ok guys... help me out here. I want to build the best PC possible (for gaming) and keep the cost under a grand. I'm buying all new everything and building from the ground up. Help me find the best possible combination out there.

I'm looking myself.
            Two of the guides I linked show some pretty good baselines for Gaming PCs that come in your budget

System Builder Marathon, Q1 2013: $800 Enthusiast PC - Building A PC: What Do We Get For $800?
            System Builder Marathon, Q1 2013: $1000 Performance PC - Can $1,000 Buy A High-End PC?

Anyone that says that Budget PCs are a Myth is an idiot and is just going to be telling you to buy stuff you don't need.

First: You just need to spend smart. CPU, PSU and Motherboard are the most important things to look at because they are the hardest things to replace. You can afford to say get a lower end version of the GPU you want or go for 6-8GB of RAM instead of 8-16GB if you know that you will be able to afford to upgrade those later on. If you are on a budget those three parts are by far the most important things.

Second: You don't NEED a SSD. That is a huge chunk of the budget right there. So what if you miss out on faster boot-up times and almost-instant application launches. You gain nest to nothing on Benchmark results with a SSD when running applications which is what you really need to be looking at.

Third: For the love of god get a good case. You want your parts to last for a while and getting a good case with good air flow means that you save a lot i nthe long run because you need fewer fans to keep things cool. Again I highly recommend getting a good Cooler Master tower since even the budget cases are still going to be fantastic at giving your machine a good air flow.

Finally: Yes if you are on a budget you will be sacrificing convenience for performance/price parts. Like I noted above, SSDs are not needed for any modern game and take up a huge chunk of the budget. What is better? Slightly faster boot times, but you end up bottlenecked and things break because you cheaped out on the motherboard and case to get the SSD and stupid powerful GPU, or a PC that performs better in the big picture because you were smart and invested in a good CPU, Motherboard and PSU?
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Ok then... let's see if I can build it to those specs...

SSD
              SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

HDD
              Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail - Newegg.com

Motherboard
              Newegg.com - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
              Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Graphics Card
              EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Power Supply
              CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Memory
              CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9 - Newegg.com
              or just...
              CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B - Newegg.com

Case
              COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

- - - Updated - - -

So: 100+100+160+210+205+120+135+125= Just shy of 1200. If I downgrade the Power Supply to 750 and knock off 8 of those gigs of ram (that I can always buy later and add to it), I think I nailed the $1000.00 price point.

Anyone care to cross-check?

Comment

The 650 is still a really good card (mine handles ARR beta on modest settings without any trouble and it's only a 465) and it's only like $100~110. Honestly, when I was getting my quote from the guy at Canada Computers we were comparing the 650 to the 660 and the 660 is a terrible deal - it's not that much stronger than the 650 and for double the price (unlike the 670 which costs a fair bit more but actually has the performance to back it). It also only has a max TDP of 64 watts which is nothing (the TDP on the 660 is 140, which is still a lot better than my own beastly 200 ><). Honestly, 750 is plenty for a power supply unless you plan to be running multiple GPUs in SLI/Crossfire and multiple displays.

You can probably reduce your SSD to 80 GB and still be fine as well, depending on how many games you want on there + your OS (I highly recommend having your OS on it).
                sigpic

Comment

If you really want the SSD then it seems pretty good. The only "improvement" is something you can so later which would be to get some external storage because a 1TB External HD is pretty cheap and is just so awesome to have.

I would still reccomend just ditching the SSD so you can get either more RAM or a better GPU though but that is just me.
                  Reiko Takahashi
                  Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                    If you really want the SSD then it seems pretty good. The only "improvement" is something you can so later which would be to get some external storage because a 1TB External HD is pretty cheap and is just so awesome to have.

I would still recommend just ditching the SSD so you can get either more RAM or a better GPU though but that is just me.

I don't see why you feel the GPU is hard to replace because it honestly isn't... it's much more of a hassle trying to disassemble and replace a motherboard or processor though. The benefits of having your games and OS on an SSD are totally worth the extra money. 12 GB RAM is plenty for gaming, and as I said the speed of the ram is much more important than the total size. Ideally you want 1600 for a good gaming rig. Here's what I got on my quote (and I'm still adjusting it)

Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Socket 1155, 3.4 Ghz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 22 nm (Retail Boxed) Gen3 (BX80637173770) - $315

Antec ONE Gaming Series Mid-ATX Case - $50.00 (I got a $5 rebate on it)

WD Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000 GB (1TB) SATA 3 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (OEM) - $90 (also $5 discount)

Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 Socket 1155 Intel Z77 CHipset | Dual-Channel DDR 2800 (O.C.) MHz, 2x PCI-Express x16 | GLAN, 4x SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 2x SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 1x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0 | DVI/D-Sub/HDMI ATX - $115 (10 off)

Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M 80PLUS Bronze Certified 750W PSU )CP-9020040-NA) - $130

Kingston HyperX Genesis 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR 1866 Mhz CL9 DIMMs (KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX) - $90

Intel 520 Series 120 GB 2.5" SATA3 6 Gb/s SSD (SSDSC2CW120A3K5) - $155

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium - #110 (It's actually windows 8 listed but they gonna change it to 7 for me. Hope that drags down the price a tad)

Gigabyte (GV-N650OC-2GI) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 | 1110 MHz Clock, 6000 MHz Memory | PCI Exrpess 3.0, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI - $130 ($10 mail in rebate)

And then with taxes, OS install and labour tacked on it all comes to $1,478.17

That's the rig I got going atm, still playing with it a bit though to see where I can optimize some things.
                    Last edited by Malacite; 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Please read my previous posts. He has a budget and I'm going for strictly cost/performance here. SSDs are nice to have but they are in no way essential to gaming. What I have been saying is that sure they are nice to have but really they should be the last thing you are considering if on any sort of budget.
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I'm flexible enough to stretch the extra $100 towards the SSD. Boot up time has always been a plague to me... and keeping my minimal number of games (FFXI and XIV basically) loaded on it would be ideal as long as they fit with the OS.

I also may or may not be able to salvage my current power source out of my own rig... sell off my 2 current graphics cards for a few bucks and scale back to a single monitor. Lets call my budget 1200 for the purposes of maximizing. Provided my intention is to keep the 120gig SSD, what would you suggest I replace in the above setup to make it better?

- - - Updated - - -

Also: I'm not including Windows OS in my calculations because... I uhh... know a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                          Please read my previous posts. He has a budget and I'm going for strictly cost/performance here. SSDs are nice to have but they are in no way essential to gaming. What I have been saying is that sure they are nice to have but really they should be the last thing you are considering if on any sort of budget.
                          Gonna second this. They're sweet as hell, but they're pretty much a luxury component at the moment. I think going for one that's too small could end up biting you in the ass depending on how much stuff you generally like to install on your machine, so if your budget doesn't allow for a decent sized SSD you might be better off just going with a normal hdd. Especially if it frees up your budget to make use of a RAID because seriously why aren't you doing that yet?

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                            Gonna second this. They're sweet as hell, but they're pretty much a luxury component at the moment. I think going for one that's too small could end up biting you in the ass depending on how much stuff you generally like to install on your machine, so if your budget doesn't allow for a decent sized SSD you might be better off just going with a normal hdd. Especially if it frees up your budget to make use of a RAID because seriously why aren't you doing that yet?
                            STOP INSULTING ME WITH YOUR RAID LIKE I'M SOME KIND OF INSECT AND SUGGEST SOMETHING SPECIFIC!!!

Comment

I second having a good RAID setup. I never run out of storage really and given how cheap HDDs are setting one up isn't too pricey.

To put it in layman's terms a RAID is basically a system where you have multiple HDDs but your OS reads them all as one huge drive. That is basically the simplest way of explaining it.
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

1 harddrive for the OS
                                Buy 2 harddrives for media storage.
                                Start > computer management > disk management > create mirror
                                Put all of your data on the 2 harddrives you duct taped together
                                Never worry about losing your data to harddrive failure again

Alternatively you can do it via the BIOS, but that tends to be trickier.

Comment

Working...
                                X