Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avermedia Live Gamer Portable

Canada Computers | Video Devices | AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable C875

Really tempted to get this... anyone own one or got any tips? I've been wanting to get my youtube going with my own content for ages, maybe stream on Twitch. Lord knows getting a job has been horrible and if I'm going to be gaming a lot, may as well try and get some sort of a following. It's a longshot but some people have made it work for them.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Avermedia Live Gamer Portable

It's very unclear of what its capabilities include. I get that it's a media capture device, but does it capture the media to a PC while allowing the console to pass through the a television set? Could it capture PC media and send it right back to the PC? Is there some advantage to it over FRAPS, since it's using additional hardware?

What would you stream? I don't know anything that can garner a following like Starcraft, League of Legends, or Dota 2.

Comment

Well, as others have pointed out to me, my current setup is just plain shit as far as streaming goes lol so...

Youtube for now. But I got stuff I can stream. I fully intend to do FFXIV stuff at some point (which will obviously be post-launch since I won't have a new rig in time for the NDA to be lifted in beta)

And I got a shittone of games I can burn through for Let's Plays ^^
      sigpic

Comment

Dak's also questioning the technical side of what you're trying to accomplish.

To answer Dak:

The device can be used without a PC for console systems. It requires to be in PC-free mode and also an SD card (does not have internal storage AFAIK) You can also use it with a PC. The advantage of this hardware is that you can also take it with you and hook it up easily enough to start the process. I'm not sure how capable this device is w/o a PC to do live streams, however, as that was not pronounced clearly.

This device is not cheap, but considering the alternatives, it's probably comparable (home cooked jury-rigging through a PC would still require a dedicated on-board TV-tuner/capture or else performance suffers)

Amazon.com: AVerMedia - C875 Live Gamer Portable (LGP) HD Game Capture for PC/PS3/Wii U/Xbox360 up to 1080p, 60Mbps: Computers & Accessories

- - - Updated - - -

And to Mal, you should go directly into Ustream/Twitch instead of Youtube. Unless you have a commercial account and are paying monthly fees to maintain it, you're not going to be able to upload lengthy HD quality caps to YT and it will cost you a pretty penny. Ustream/Twitch has capabilities to do long, lengthy streams and have it available for later viewing. Since both YT and the alternatives are ad driven/sponsored operations, then there really is no advantage to having to pay for a service (YT has bad server loads as well and they tend to prioritize Big Content, e.g., essentially ads in the form of music videos, etc., over everything else)

Comment

Well that's really where video editing comes into play and splitting it into different "parts" - it's a lot more work and yes, annoying but it's also a lot cheaper. Not to mention my current internet simply won't handle streaming effectively right now (and my options all kinda suck).

I actually wasn't aware of the PC-free mode myself o.O I thought the SD card was just in case you didn't want to take up space on an HDD and that a laptop or desktop was still required. That's going to make things a lot easier. Also, another great feature of this machine is that unlike other Cards (the other one I was considering was the Black Magic Intensity Pro) it has a special format that it can record video on that takes up very little space - which is very helpful and probably what makes using SD cards with it viable.

I WAS hoping to get my new PC + the Capture Card in time for The Last of Us, but as I just dropped a tonne of money on lessons with a personal trainer, I gotta put it on hold until I find work - I really don't want my finances to drop below a certain level just in case. I'm hoping to just start off small, and then see how it goes and eventually if I get lucky, just go full-on streaming for revenue (maybe get noticed by someone? idk weirder things have happened).

I'm aware of the odds before anyone points that out, as well as how I'll need to find my own little niche to differentiate myself but I think I can manage it ^^

Makes me wish Ice BBQ Ygg & I were still doing that podcast of ours though.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't have a concern about your odds of success since that's your personal perogative. I only offered advice to help minimize costs and to get your stuff up ASAP, especially where it concerns newly released games. I don't know about you, but especially with MMOs, the last thing you need is to be bogged down with video editing and micromanaging uploads when you could be raiding and making progression a priority. I think you'll see that streaming directly into the alternatives I mentioned (and there's more than that out there, I'm sure) would better suit your time management, unless you absolutely have no other responsibilities tying you down.

Comment

I picked up the Avermedia capture card for PCs, and it works like a charm. I can't tell the difference between when it's running and when it's not, and the output video is perfect. My only qualm is that the back I/O panel is manufactured upside down.

Comment

Yeah I love my LGP.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X