Nvidia video card keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nvidia video card keeps crashing

it was at 102c last night. I didnt prop it up for proper airflow underneath the laptop because I wasnt going to be on long, then decided to check it after 30 mins of playing.
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Jesus Christ!

Do not let your laptop get that hot. Ever.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

My card's been overheating a bit as well lately but it's under control for the moment.

However, my damn PC keeps resetting every so often (usually after coming out of sleep mode after a day or so's use but not always). My monitor just shuts off and then comes back on and I see my Bios, then "windows did not shut down properly' bla bla bla start normally etc...

And when I get back on, the check for solutions says to update my drivers, but I just did. So wtf?! Do I need to uninstall them and then re-install the drivers ('cause nVidia drivers have been a bitch in recent iterations) or is there a more serious issue with my card?
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If you leave your PC running for more than a day straight without restarting it then it's probably a combination of errors accumulating or something like that.

Nowadays I usually restart my Torrent rig once a day to avoid those issues. <_<;

PS > Sleep mode always manages to mess things up for some reason, so you are better off turning off your computer instead most of the times.
            sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Huh, really.

Guess I'll just go back to shutting down at night, but I've been running my PC this way for years and it's only recently that it's started giving me issues.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Alternatively you could make a clean reinstall, but if the errors are being caused by newer drivers or updates then you'd need to go back to older versions with all the inconvenience it brings.

So it's rarely worth it.
                sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  Huh, really.

Guess I'll just go back to shutting down at night, but I've been running my PC this way for years and it's only recently that it's started giving me issues.
                  You're just really lucky or don't have very many things that rely on cache. Cache gets corrupted easily and if you routinely perform a variety of tasks, the errors will start to pile up in an exponential fashion.

For example, if all you're doing is running torrents and occasionally playing some videos, you're not likely to have issues and could probably run your rig without a reboot for a whole month. But if you're using Photoshop, running internet applications, playing games and running various VoIP and messaging programs, you're going to start to accumulate "background" data which will start to muddle up system memory. The more applications you start to run (remember, each website has their own application, whether it's Flash driven, Javascript, Java or ActiveX/OS related applications) the more opportunities for shared resources to get corrupted.

I always just shutdown my PC for the night if I don't need it. You're safer that way as you don't want to dangle the carrot in front of a brown out/black out/power surge that will end up frying your PC, even with proper measures in place (you could have a fuse go out at a bad time in those UPS or surge protectors)

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                    Sounds like you're probably just overheating then. You might want to take your laptop apart and see if you can't clean out some of the dust that's inevitably built up in your fans. That should help some.
                    Ok, so my laptop shut down 3 times last night in a 15 minute period while playing ffxiv, so I'm taking the hint now... My laptop never had problems running ffxiv until late, so it does sound like I need to clean my laptop in an attempt to keep it from over heating. I'm not a "computer guy" by any means, so any advice for taking apart my computer and clenaing it would be welcomed. Here's a pic of the back of my laptop. Thanks!
                    RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Step 1: Obtain the manual, it should have instructions on how to take your laptop apart and put it back together again. Make sure you have this before you start.

Step 1.1: Back up everything just in case something goes wrong.

Step 2: Remove the battery from your laptop and let it sit for a few minutes.

Step 3: Locate the fan, since that's what probably needs cleaning.

Step 4: Read the manual and follow instructions on how to access/remove/replace the fan. Most likely you'll have to remove the back of your laptop, and possibly the keyboard depending on the model.

Step 5: canned air and dust bunny removal

Step 6: put everything back together and check to see if your machine is running cooler than before.

You'll probably need a few screwdrivers of the smaller variety. Usually you can grab a set at the dollar store or a local computer store. Be careful not to strip the screws or you could find yourself in trouble.

Comment

Is it bad that I no longer have "the manual?" LOL. Shit.
                        RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

You probably never had one to begin with honestly. Laptops Prebuilt computers tend to be like that.

Your laptop should have a model name printed on it somewhere though, like mine is an HP ProBook 4530s. If you can find that you can usually find the corresponding manual on the manufacturer's site, or at least find it with some rigorous googling.

Comment

How are you playing FFXIV? I tried to log on, but it said my character wasn't subscribed. I bought the 3-month package, so I logged onto my account to see what the problem was and it said I couldn't update the subscription on anything. I assumed they brought it all down in preparation for 2.0.

Comment

I was playing yesterday, not sure about today.
                              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                                How are you playing FFXIV? I tried to log on, but it said my character wasn't subscribed. I bought the 3-month package, so I logged onto my account to see what the problem was and it said I couldn't update the subscription on anything. I assumed they brought it all down in preparation for 2.0.
                                I'm almost sure that people with 3-month subscriptions were told to go to the 1-month subscription (and billed automatically) to avoid problems. I think Raydeus was in the same boat as you (his might've been a 6-month subscription) You essentially need to have a recurring payment up before the accounting service was locked up in order to be able to continue to play well through October...

Comment

Working...
                                X