Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Soviet China Diablo III Hacks You

Hacker uses malware built-in chat to toy with researchers | Ars Technica

Now I'm just glad I avoid most sites that have only recently sprung up within the past year or so, since they tend to be 24-hour fly-by-night interfaces for malware. But this just takes it to a whole new level where the hackers are actively monitoring and can CHAT WITH YOU.

Featured

News & Threats:
    Have you ever chatted with a Hacker within a virus?

Posted 2 days ago by Hynek Blinka

Tweet

This is an impressive and first-time experience in my anti-virus career. I chatted with a hacker while debugging a virus. Yes, it’s true. It happened when the Threat team were researching key loggers for Diablo III while many game players playing this game found their accounts stolen. A sample is found in battle .net in Taiwan.
    The hacker posted a topic titled “How to farm Izual in Inferno” (Izual is a boss in Diablo III ACT 4), and provided a link in the content which, as he said, pointed to a video demonstrating the means.

Below is the ‘Video’. It’s a RAR archive actually containing two executable files. These two files are almost the same except the icon.

The malware will connect to a remote server via TCP port 80 and download a new file packed by Themida.

That’s very simple Downloader/Backdoor behavior and we are only interested in looking for key logging code for Diablo III so we didn’t pay much attention to it.
    But an astonishing scene staged at this time. A chatting dialog popped up with a text message:
    (Translated from the image below)
    Hacker: What are you doing? Why are you researching my Trojan?
    Hacker: What do you want from it?

The dialog is not from any software installed in our virtual machine. On the contrary, it’s an integrated function of the backdoor and the message is sent from the hacker who wrote the Trojan. Amazing, isn’t it? It seems that the hacker was online and he realized that we were debugging his baby.

We felt interested and continued to chat with him. He was really arrogant.
    (Translated from the image below)
    Chicken: I didn’t know you can see my screen.
    Hacker: I would like to see your face, but what a pity you don’t have a camera.

He is telling the truth. This backdoor has powerful functions like monitoring victim’s screen, mouse controlling, viewing process and modules, and even camera controlling.

We then chatted with hacker for some time, pretending that we were green hands and would like to buy some Trojan from him. But this hacker was not so foolish to tell us all the truth. He then shut down our system remotely.
    Regarding this malware, no Diablo III key logging code was captured. What it really wants to steal is dial up connection’s username and password.

It sounds like a movie story, but it’s real. We are familiar with malware and we are fighting with them every day. But chatting with malware writers in real time doesn’t happen so often. Next time, I will be on the alert.
    The malware and its components are detected by the AVG as Trojan horse BackDoor.Genericvariants.
    Franklin Zhao & Jason Zhou

Re: In Soviet China Diablo III Hacks You

For reference, all the guy really says is "You don't have a camera, if you did I'd be able to see what you look like.".

In fact, unless there's more to the chat they're not showing, the guy just seems very plain spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
      For reference, all the guy really says is "You don't have a camera, if you did I'd be able to see what you look like.".

In fact, unless there's more to the chat they're not showing, the guy just seems very plain spoken.
      Is there a dialectic difference in the way they translated this? The authors of the article seem to both be Chinese (not stereotyping, I'm assuming given their family name of Zhou and Zhao)

Comment

not really; I can tell you they're not speaking Taiwanese mandarin (I don't recognize their word for 'Camera'; and anyway it's in simplified characters, as you can probably tell), but I would point out the article was actually posted by someone other than the author. Frankly, given the lack of any sort of photos of all of this incredible stuff (which would've been easy enough to fake anyway), it sounds like they're at best blowing the story up to make it seem bigger than it is.

From what I can see, real life event:
        Researcher: This virus looks interesting, I'll look into it
        Programmer: Why on earth are you researching my trojan? Is there something you want to find out from it?
        [chat continues, researcher thinks this is just absolutely AMAZING]
        Researcher: I had no idea you could see my screen
        Programmer: If you had a camera, I'd be able to see you

Researcher wants to tell a story:
        Researcher: So I was looking into this virus when all of a sudden...
        Programmer: HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN?
        [chat continues]
        Researcher: You are spying on my computer! You fiend!
        Programmer: IT IS A PITY YOU LACK A WEBCAM GOOD SIR, OTHERWISE I WOULD BE SPYING ON YOUR HOME! HAHAHAHA! *cigar*

Comment

Interesting. Hackers are getting smarter and smarter.

Or, its just a guy wanting attention?

who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
            Interesting. Hackers are getting smarter and smarter.

Or, its just a guy wanting attention?

who knows.
            No, the malware is really, really awesome. It has a lot of functionality you normally do not find in a run-of-the-mill keylogger. This isn't something as petty as going over to hacks4u.ru or 2ch and downloading a trojan/malware. That said, the malware author was pretty cocky from what I gathered at other sources, but he could afford to be cocky if he can detect detection on his own malware. All I have to say is that the guy has some cajones.

Only way he would be concerned if he was a puppet of the Chinese Government, as he probably was told he shouldn't blow his cover.

Comment

Working...
            X