nVidia 700 series perfomance leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nVidia 700 series perfomance leaked

I actually had a 9800 way back, it's the card I used to run FFXI for years. Was a good deal at the time too.

I agree there needs to be more competitive pricing - I just think it's too early declare anything like you have when nVidia has only revealed 1 of the new cards thus far. There will be other models for sure, at different price levels.

At this point though, I'm debating if I should hold out until the 700 series is out to build my new PC or not. Would be nice since by then SSD's should come down a bit more, along with Intel's new Ivy Bridge.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Re: nVidia 700 series perfomance leaked

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      I actually had a 9800 way back, it's the card I used to run FFXI for years. Was a good deal at the time too.

I agree there needs to be more competitive pricing - I just think it's too early declare anything like you have when nVidia has only revealed 1 of the new cards thus far. There will be other models for sure, at different price levels.

At this point though, I'm debating if I should hold out until the 700 series is out to build my new PC or not. Would be nice since by then SSD's should come down a bit more, along with Intel's new Ivy Bridge.
      I'm not sure I'm convinced that nVidia will do anything about the "below $300" market. Yes, they have more than one model coming out, I'm sure, but judging by past actions, it's really several "high end" models based on yield from only one GPU (this is called binning and is commonplace in the semiconductor industry ... basically low yields produce top line products while the same batch's mid and large yields will fill in the mid and sub market). I doubt nVidia shelled out the moolah for more than one GPU this time around. We'll see.

edit:

To be clear, I want nVidia to succeed, not because I'm a rabid fanboi (I'm actually an ATI supporter who caved in to purchase an obviously superior product going by performance-to-cost ratios) but because competition is good and healthy. I feel that ATI has become to successful for the industry and it's a poisonous environment where you have "collusion" at work with either side not wanting to upset their "cash flow". Competition is healthy as it drives innovation and pushes the envelope while keeping costs down, but a collusion is no better than a monopoly.

Comment

Working...
      X