Windows defender Virus. Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows defender Virus. Help please!

Sorry typing on my phone so will be lot of typos sue to the virus not letting me get internet...

So what is going on OS that I have the Windows defender virus on my computer, again.. this time it seems I got it while downloading left for dead off of steam. My anti virus isn't picking it up, nor is my anti spyware... I just had to do another roll back, anyone able to help me stop this virus once and for all?

Re: Windows defender Virus. Help please!

I'm skeptical that it came from Steam. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so you'd usually just want to stay away from places that it might show up at. Once you have it, I suppose there may be some guides you can find with Google on how to remove it.

Comment

I recently had this problem and to fix it, I had to scour the registry. I didn't find any automated solutions or removal tools online (I had access to a 2nd computer). The only websites that I had up at the time that this thing hit were FFXIAH and ffxiclopedia

If you open task manager and start killing processes, you should be able to find the bad .exe; it will keep restarting itself. Take note of it and restart your PC in safe mode. Get a good export of your registry before you start deleting stuff! Delete that .exe and then remove all references to that file from your registry. It wouldn't hurt to take note of all of the places where the file shows up in the registry because chances are you'll have to repair those applications to get them working again.

These were the steps that I took to remove it. YMMV

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
      WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Truece View Post
        I recently had this problem and to fix it, I had to scour the registry. I didn't find any automated solutions or removal tools online (I had access to a 2nd computer). The only websites that I had up at the time that this thing hit were FFXIAH and ffxiclopedia

If you open task manager and start killing processes, you should be able to find the bad .exe; it will keep restarting itself. Take note of it and restart your PC in safe mode. Get a good export of your registry before you start deleting stuff! Delete that .exe and then remove all references to that file from your registry. It wouldn't hurt to take note of all of the places where the file shows up in the registry because chances are you'll have to repair those applications to get them working again.

These were the steps that I took to remove it. YMMV
        Thanks, I did a second system restore to get rid of it again, to gain net access, some of my WoW community (Trusted players, not the trade lol.), told me to download, and install Malwarebytes. I did some digging around, found out that it was spyware, and spyware free, and I downloaded it, and installed it. If found the virus, along with four others (a trojan, 2 Backdoor, and a nasty nasty spyware.), quarenteed, an removed them when I did an over night scan. For now, everything is safe.

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
        I'm skeptical that it came from Steam. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so you'd usually just want to stay away from places that it might show up at. Once you have it, I suppose there may be some guides you can find with Google on how to remove it.
        I did not say that Steam was the cause, just saying what happened the second time I got. The first time I got it was when I clicked a link from a friends post on FB, sending me to a website I've been on many, many times before. The first time I got it, I did research it, and it ussualy comes in through a backdoor virus, or a running script. It finds any way, and will instal it self.

My preventions methods are pretty good as well, but they didn't even find it, so I'm going to have to call the company, and figure out why it didn't prevent this, and the others.

I have Vipre (An Anti virus that everyone was raving about on QVC, or was it HSN?), and Ad-Aware. Neither one blocked it.

Comment

I'd much rather reinstall the OS than battle a virus. But then again that is why I keep my system divided between a few disks and partitions for easier and faster re-installation. XD

Though I've known people who didn't have their OS disk (edit > and/or had all their files in the system partition) so they had to go through hell to rescue their computers because they didn't want to pay for a new OS license. <_<;
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Here's a few things you can do.

-Download a Anti-Virus software from a friend, I would suggest Panda Anti-Virus, or AVG. In a bad case, go for Norton, McAffee has a tendency to play favorites with computers.
            -Create a System Image, wipe your computer, upload the system image and/or move
            -Reset your internet/router/modem.

Just a little help, I took a bit of A+ so I am a bit CPU savvy.
            Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

I do have an anti virus, it just didn't find it....

As for the others, I do not know what a system image is... XD

And the resetting the routers, and such, how would they help with preventing viruses?

Comment

Corporate edition of Symantec Endpoint Protection didn't catch it, either.

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
                WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Yea, its one nasty virus. There are people who have fallen for it, and paid for it too. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X