Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Taking the dive into PC building

Hay, sex muffins.

Installed a GTX 770 about a month ago and works amazingly. However, ever since I installed it, the boot screen was replaced with just a "0" in the bottom right corner and takes a bit longer to boot. Is that normal? My power supply can totally handle the card.
    sigpic

Comment

No, that is not normal. Does it go back to normal if you put the old card back in?
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

No idea. Put that card in a different computer. lol
        sigpic

Comment

I noticed that lately, in FFXIV, my screen would just randomly go blank, the monitor's generic message would pop-up about the monitor going into sleep-mode, and then the screen will come back up, with the game, as if nothing has happened. I'm trying to narrow down any conflicts between software, but I do know it is (so far) independent of NVidia's drivers, since it's been happening for the past 15 or so Windows Certified and Beta driver releases. At first I thought this was only in FFXIV, but it did happen once in Steins;Gate (and crashed the game) and then twice in Diablo III; once before installing the expansion and once again after.

I'm not sure if it's my power supply cutting out intermittently, but I did not think it would pose an issue. However, I'm not sure if I'm actually at the edge of delivery, because there are a LOT of things that is drawing power concurrently, like a Bluetooth USB stick for my PS4 Gold Headphones (when Mumble is active), 3 SATA hard drives, 2 SATA DVD-ROM drives (although I rarely use them at all) and an SSD unit. I do have like 4 case fans attached directly to the power supply unit, as well as another 2 that's plugged into the motherboard, and 2 more fans in the CPU cooling tower. I wonder if, when the GPU fans start to ramp up due to heat, that the power draw then crosses some threshold and "trips" the flow of current to the graphics card causing it to stall out momentarily (and thus "cooling off" that card as a side effect) ... but it doesn't happen frequently, so I don't think that's the cause. This usually happens once during any session longer than 4 hours, and if I play a game for only an hour or so, it doesn't happen. It doesn't matter what time of day, either, and it's been kind of cool lately.

Comment

Apparently that "0" on the black screen meant it was a bad card. xP It finally died. RMA'd it, but hate waiting, so bought the same exact card again.

With that in mind, going to SLI the two GTX 770 together. My question is, though, do I need an even stronger PSU? Currently have a 750W, but do I need to upgrade that even more for SLI?
            sigpic

Comment

Depends on how much power all the components in your box suck up. There are websites that will calculate it all for you if you know what's actually in your box. They have fancy drop down menus and everything.

Comment

Now to find me one of those sites.
                sigpic

Comment

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator

Comment

You walked right into my trap of me being lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried a bunch of the calculators and the range from 600W to 1150W.

wut
                    sigpic

Comment

Fuck if I know.
                      *shrug*

Comment

At any rate, got the SLI working and all. However, with the two video cards in, my PC is much slower. I'm assuming my PSU isn't able to give enough power to both. Ugh.
                        sigpic

Comment

Grab a 750watt gold rated CPU. Or more wattage, but keep that gold rating if you want to save some money in the long run and keep your case a little cooler.

Comment

I have a 750watt gold rated PSU. :x
                            sigpic

Comment

Well shit! What do you mean by slower?

Comment

Found the issue. Apparently my Heatsink popped up at one corner. Must not have pressed down all the way on that side and it popped out when I was sitting the tower back onto the desk.

Funfun.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X